Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Stepping up my holding & transport game!

Options
cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
edited May 2015 in EggHead Forum
Not something I've really talked about, but as of late, I'm doing a little catering on the side.  I'm preparing for a graduation party for 150...and am doing a lot of brisket and other proteins.  This will be a true test as it's a UT graduation and most love them some Franklin Barbecue.  

Anyway, I have to transport 3 briskets, 2 butts and sausage for a party this weekend, so this is my traveling kit.  For the UT party on the 30th, I'll have 4 of these loaded with Cazzy's Cue (haha JIC)!!

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Buddy please talk us thru how you do this. What is heated back up to transport etc...
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• beachsmoke
    beachsmoke Posts: 644
    Options
    remember the 7 p's proper prior planning prevents piss poor performance.  looks like you are ready sweet deal
    Large egg panhandle of florida
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Dear lord, does @cazzy catering make it about 1000 miles north?
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,974
    Options
    Cazzy's Cue!  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • cazzy
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Buddy please talk us thru how you do this. What is heated back up to transport etc...
    The goal is to not heat anything up.  For the big cook...I'll cook all the briskets first, hold them in my oven on warm, then load everything up when the rest comes off.

I held one brisket in my oven for 8 hours and didn't lose any quality.  It was this brisket:

https://youtu.be/ZJnEzVpAsWw
    https://youtu.be/XAbtHJZgThk

• fusionhq
    fusionhq Posts: 1,707
    Options
    Well I'll be dammed. 
  • NCEggSmoker
    NCEggSmoker Posts: 336
    Options
    That's pretty cool. How do you like them?
    Raleigh NC, Large BGE and KJ Joe Jr.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Options
    We use several of these stacked up.  Preheat them before meat goes in by setting a pot of hot water in them for 15 minutes. Also good for cold storage with a tray of ice in the top tray.  

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Sweet ! Good luck with your venture. You may end up catering caliprince's next birthday if you keep this up :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • cazzy
    Options
    We use several of these stacked up.  Preheat them before meat goes in by setting a pot of hot water in them for 15 minutes. Also good for cold storage with a tray of ice in the top tray.  
    Great tip!!!  Thanks!
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Good luck, you'll kill it. 

Can we exist Cazzy t shirts soon
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Caz does it have heating/warming capabilities? I can't tell by the pic. The reason that I ask is if it doesn't, you can preheat with a hair dryer pretty fast. Nice set up man.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• cazzy
    Options
    BYS1981 said:

Hah...no t-shirts anytime soon!  :lol: 
  • cazzy
    Options

SGH said:
    Caz does it have heating/warming capabilities? I can't tell by the pic. The reason that I ask is if it doesn't, you can preheat with a hair dryer pretty fast. Nice set up man.  
    No...it is a non powered insulated holding cabinet.  At some point, a may need to get a CVap or some type of powered cabinet if I out grow my oven.  

Cool...good tip.  Thanks Scottie.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Nice cambro, bro!
    Options
    Damn that's cool. Just watched the promo video. They make some neat stuff. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Mickey
    Options
    caliking said:
    Sweet ! Good luck with your venture. You may end up catering caliprince's next birthday if you keep this up :)
    Hope we all are invited: Caliprince Birthday Fest.......
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Options

cazzy said:
    BYS1981 said:

Hah...no t-shirts anytime soon!  :lol: 
    Will need an XXL on my shirt please. 

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    I'll take a 2XLT Caz, thanks. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @cazzy - Nice man. Good luck on the catering adventure. My fiancee and I are mulling over a larger smoker and maybe a lil catering too. Its really up to me but I ask her a ton of questions and she listens most of the time i think. Maybe she tunes me out. LOL

Have you considered adding a trailer to your smoker? 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited May 2015
    Options
    My cousin owns a couple of restaurants and does a hefty catering business and uses Carlisle End loaders. He loves them.  That's a pretty cool gig.  Good luck.  Do you send sauce?  Make yourself?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,085
    Options
    Dang man.  That is definetely next level right there!  Now I see why you ditched your eggs.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • cazzy
    Options
    Loaded up and on my way to Beeville.  I plan to probe everything right before service.  It will work out to a 4 hour hold...

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Good luck man. Hope it's a slam dunk. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Interested in the hold and temp drop. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    That looks like a winner.  You said that you held a brisket in the oven for several hours...Was the oven on or just used a a big thermal unit?

Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • cazzy
    edited May 2015
    Options
    That looks like a winner.  You said that you held a brisket in the oven for several hours...Was the oven on or just used a a big thermal unit?

The oven was on warm set to 145. Worked like a champ for 8 hours...Highly recommend.  These were held in the oven at 170 since I need them above serving temps during my drive.
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    That looks truly professional...Good luck cazzy..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Thank goodness I didn't see that a few days ago. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Gonnaneedabiggeregg
    Options
    Looks like a nice set up.  Good luck...
    South Jersey / XL Egg