Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

So annoying

Options
dougcrann
dougcrann Posts: 1,129
My loving wife Ernestina doesn't like her meat with the slightest bit of pink. Has to be grey...and about as chewy as a shoe. She is getting better but....every time I make her something first cut/bite she is inspecting the color. Not uncommon for her to widdle the less cooked pieces of a steak out and shuffle them onto my plate. How many of you folks go thru this?

Comments

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    @dougcrann ... marriage is a very long road. Don't sweat the small stuff brother. Keep at it, it'll all work out.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    learn to eat later after dark and then use a dimmer switch to keep the light lower! Trust me on this one!!! ;)
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,569
    Options
    Can you not cook her steak first and acheive her desired doneness, plate her  steak. Then do yours as you like it..This seems like a solvable problem.. Good luck and have a great day.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Just make tasty shoe leather and eat yours the way you like it. I understand your pain. My wife will take a well done steak and chop into pieces and throw it in the frying pan to cook it some more. 
    Using my Thermopop means nothing to her. When it comes to burgers I've even showed her the pics below and told her grey/brown doesn't equal safe. 

Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    I always put her stuff on first. I use the Thermapen on everything now. Doesn't bother me as much as it used to. Whenever we are having anything off the Egg as I am coming thru the door with it I will announce the temperature of it...

Had steak and eggs thismorning. She did the cooking. She ended up shuttling some of her steak onto my plate.

She goes as far as making an odd face and cringing a bit whenever I have a bloody steak. Good thing she never shared a meal with my Dad...he liked his beef "one step from mooing" as he used to say lol...
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,361
    Options
    20 years ago my wife only ate well done, now its medium rare. She couldn't stand beef blood on a plate before, now dips the pieces in it. Some can change but when they're ready. Biggest mistake couples make is thinking they can change the other. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    My mother is like that, always has been. Which means I grew up eating overcooked everything. But I still love her. :)

She'll be 99 in less than two months, so I guess it's okay to eat well done meat.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Dobie said:
    20 years ago my wife only ate well done, now its medium rare. She couldn't stand beef blood on a plate before, now dips the pieces in it. Some can change but when they're ready. Biggest mistake couples make is thinking they can change the other. 
    Ditto this. When we first got married 35 years ago, she would only eat well done, now she will only eat medium rare, actually gives me hard time if I overcook. 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    The red juices are not blood, they are protein.

That said, it doesn't matter to my wife either.  I like it less done than my wife so I cook her food more than mine.  If it comes out too pink for her, she uses the microwave to "finish" it.  This works fine and she still loves the food cook on the BGE.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    More steak for you!!!

this isn't annoying it's a blessing! Ha
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Backyard Mike
    Options
  • MediumRarely
    MediumRarely Posts: 270
    Options
    Use this as an opportunity.  Be ecstatic that you can do something so easy to make her happy!  At this point you should be able to easily convince her that "although it is very difficult for you to do, you do it for her happiness".  I am always looking for something to make my wife happy - once per day (no matter how small).  You will be blessed! 

Always act so that you can tell the truth about how you act.

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,170
    Options
    You've got a good woman if this is your beef with her. (Pun intended) 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    jabam said:
    Dobie said:
    Ditto this. When we first got married 35 years ago, she would only eat well done, now she will only eat medium rare, actually gives me hard time if I overcook. 
    Same here
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Buy her a chefs torch for Mother's Day. She can finish hers off at the table :lol: 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    My father, rest his soul, is the only person who would order a steak WELL DONE at a Sizzler restaurant and send it back for more cooking.
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,943
    Options
    There is always divorce.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Auburn4Life
    Auburn4Life Posts: 20
    Options
    I had to teach my wife to love medium to medium rare.  I use a thermometer on everything I cook, so she knows it is done.
    Dallas, GA
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    My wife hates salt and pepper. Really any seasoning at all. You should feel lucky. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    And butter. I believe she was raised by monks. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    If she's happy. ..leave it alone.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,170
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    My wife hates salt and pepper. Really any seasoning at all. You should feel lucky. 
    Woah.