Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's wrong with my egg!

Options
jabam
jabam Posts: 1,829
Came home last night to cook a couple ribeyes. Started the fire tried to get up to 400 to do reverse sear. Never got up to 400 put the steaks on anyway. Took an hour to cook them no sear basically baked. Chalked it up to too much cerveza during the day. Wife brought home a ready to cook pizza tonight, started fire to get up to 400, it got up to 350 got tired of waiting so I put pizza on after closing the lid temp fell down to 250 and won't go back up!  I calibrated the temp gauges and cleaned egg before I started. What's up?
Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"

Comments

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    It sounds like clogged air holes. Did you check that?

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • jabam
    Options
    Yes took everything out and cleared vent holes. Do you think I might have a crack somewhere?
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,046
    Options
    It is possible that you simply have too much lump in there, and even though you cleaned it, air flow is restricted.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I don't know about a crack. I would think a crack would show itself with smoke coming out etc. What kind of lump was it. 

I have had trouble like that in the past when I couldn't get up to temp, but it was usually when it was either very humid outside or a rainy misty day with lots of moisture in the air. 

I did switch over to hi que grates, and now I have no problem getting to temp. 

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    My large acts like that if it has set for a while and it has been rainy.  If you have moisture breads on the inside of the dome this is the problem and just needs to dry out

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Did you have plenty of lump?

Little Rock, AR

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    When you say, "took everything out and cleared vent holes," do you mean you took out not just any charcoal, but also the fire ring and fire box (I think that's what they're called)?  

I had the same problem and it turned out that a TON of ash between the inside of the Egg's outer wall and the fire box was drastically cutting down on air flow, even though the holes themselves were open.  If you haven't tried that, take out the fire ring and the fire box and get all of the ash out.  And then when you put the fire box back in, be sure the opening is completely square with the opening in the Egg.

If that's not it, I'm sorry, I don't have any ideas.

Theo
  • jabam
    Options
    I use royal oak that's all I have ever used never had a problem before.  I'm going to 
  • jabam
    Options
    Did you have plenty of lump?
    Yes loaded it up
  • jabam
    Options
    Theophan said:
    When you say, "took everything out and cleared vent holes," do you mean you took out not just any charcoal, but also the fire ring and fire box (I think that's what they're called)?  

I had the same problem and it turned out that a TON of ash between the inside of the Egg's outer wall and the fire box was drastically cutting down on air flow, even though the holes themselves were open.  If you haven't tried that, take out the fire ring and the fire box and get all of the ash out.  And then when you put the fire box back in, be sure the opening is completely square with the opening in the Egg.

• jabam
    Options
    Theophan said:

Theo
    I didn't pull fire box out I try that next. Thanks!
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    jabam said:
    Theophan said:

Theo
    I didn't pull fire box out I try that next. Thanks!
    Make sure to line up the fire box when you pit it back in or it can restrict your flow. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • jabam
    Options
    Ok thanks
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 31,046
    Options
    One last thing: don't forget to check for a loose nut behind the wheel.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    User error of some type.  If clean and you set it up as they instructed,there should be no problems. It's a pretty simple system. Got lump, good air flow, and fire? That thing should spin the temp dial. 
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • islanderegger
    Options
    Open the vents up, lol.
  • mstang1988
    mstang1988 Posts: 14
    Options
    A long while back I had similar issues.  The largest part was the brand of lump I was using.  A few brands (Central market) really required a LONG LONG time with the starter before it would get going properly.  With Royal Oak I throw on my HeaterMeter fan to stoke the flames.  I can push it up to about 450-500 before the fan runs out of volume but by then I just take it out and it has enough draft to ride it up to ~750-800.  

Brand of Charcoal and User.  Just make sure it's completely clean and it will do it.  
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I would recommend a high queue grate or a kick ash basket.  Even when you do everything right sometimes the grate just gets clogged with small pieces of lump. 

In addition, go tot he hardware store and get a piece of steel rod and bend an "L" on the end (a wiggle rod).  You can use it on the stock grate to poke through the air holes and wiggle.  I still use the wiggle rod with the high queue sometimes to speed things up.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• johnkitchens
    Options
    + 1 for the hi-que grate. Also do as others have recommended and completely take everything out of the egg. A lot of ash can build up around the firebox. If you remove all of the ash and have good airflow you will have to get to temp. 

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    If you didnt pull the ring and firebox thats most probably your problem. That means you probably never have and there will be a ton of ash behind it. 

Little Rock, AR

• Charlesmaneri
    Charlesmaneri Posts: 1,295
    Options
    I recommend that you take the fire ring and fire box out and get a shop vac and completely  clean the inside of your Egg I have 2 Larges and a mini and I do this after like every 4th or 5th cook remember the Egg works on air flow if their is a ton of ash it restricts air flow and that prevents the temp from rising
    2 Large Eggs and a Mini 2 Pit Bulls and a Pork shoulder or butt nearby and 100% SICILIAN
    Long Island N.Y.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,821
    Options
    no ash buildup, lump filled up into the fire ring, bottom vent wide open,DAISY OFF EGG SITTING ON THE GROUND, then its just a matter of time for it to reach 1200 degrees
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Agree with others. One last thing is wet lump. Could it have possibly gotten wet? 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • jabam
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Agree with others. One last thing is wet lump. Could it have possibly gotten wet? 
    Didn't get wet, I'm going to do like everyone says and take everything out tonight, that should fix the problem. I will post results tonight. 
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Options
    I was having an issue once upon a time as well, found that it was taking WAAAAYYYY too long to get up to temp.... even with the dome wide open, fire wasn't spreading much....

Looked down after at least 45 minutes of telling my wife she just had to be patient... found that I had actually forgotten to open the bottom vent. 

It's more than likely the above clogged-airflow problems, but I thought i'd throw this out incase... it happens lol
    [Insert clever signature line here]
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Did you light the top or bottom of the lump?
    Options
    I had this issue with my first few cooks - I found that taking a wire hanger and "fishing" the holes thru the bottom to clear them of ash and small lump pieces will free up the airflow.

Of course, the REALLY easy way to cure the issue is to get a Kick Ash Basket.

Just my $0.02 (inflation adjusted),

Eric "GuitarEC"
    Metro Atlanta Area
  • jabam
    Options
    Did you light the top or bottom of the lump?
    I always light from the top in front
  • jabam
    Options
    GuitarEC said:
    I had this issue with my first few cooks - I found that taking a wire hanger and "fishing" the holes thru the bottom to clear them of ash and small lump pieces will free up the airflow.

Of course, the REALLY easy way to cure the issue is to get a Kick Ash Basket.

Just my $0.02 (inflation adjusted),

Eric "GuitarEC"
    Metro Atlanta Area
    Kick ash basket is my to get list!!
  • GuitarEC
    GuitarEC Posts: 122
    Options
    jabam said:

I always light from the top in front
    Light top center - the fire with build and spread concentrically outward and evenly - you light from the front and is will take longer to build out. At least, that what Golden told me when they came out from the BGE store to set mine up.

Eric "GuitarEC"
    Metro Atlanta Area.