Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

"Universal" rub?

Options
So is there such a thing? One that goes well with beef and pork? Say Tri Tip roasts, chuckies, butts, spares....
Made a Tri Tip tonight using a rub I have been using for a while now. Have used it on all of the above. The Boss, aka my loving Ernestina, was less than thrilled. Meat was tender and juicy but lacking in the flavor department. Sadly I have to agree.
Looking for something with some zing....but not butt hole puckering. Like it to also be a bit sweet...

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    This fits the bill, I always have some on hand:

Universal BBQ rub

3 Tbs white sugar

2 Tbs paprika (smoked or plain - both are good)

2 Tbs Kosher salt

2 Tbs brown sugar

1 Tbs cumin

1 Tbs ground pepper

1 Tbs onion powder

1 Tbs garlic powder

1 Tbs celery salt

2 tsp chili powder (if extra hot, may want to cut the cayenne)

1 tsp dried oregano (Mexican if you have it)

1 tsp cayenne pepper (if chili powder is mild, may want to increase cayenne)

Mix everything in spice grinder, results in tan powder. Also good to flavor homemade BBQ sauces. Can be stored for up to 6 months. Good on chicken, pork or beef. 

Almost every kitchen has these dry ingredients, easy to make. 

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    edited April 2015
    Options
    IMO, tri-tip is meant to be done only one way, Santa Maria Style. Granulated garlic, Lawrys Seasoned Salt and pepper. Heavy on the garlic. Forward sear 5 minutes a side ... cook to 137. It's perfection.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • blukat
    blukat Posts: 354
    Options
    Oak Ridge BBQ has a nice Santa Maria seasoning.
  • blukat
    blukat Posts: 354
    Options
    They also sell a sample pack that is very reasonable.
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,148
    Options
    I've been just s&p for a while now..  Sometimes I substitute garlic salt...
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,827
    Options
    the only thing universal for a rub is salt. beef add pepper, chicken add heat, pork add sugar and heat, there is some rubs with no salt for people that cant eat it and for people that dont like good food =)

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Agree^^^^ I've done coarse kosher salt and coarse cracked medley or black pepper on everything from beef, pork, poultry, fish and other seafood and liked it. That and fresh herbs are great compliments to most things. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Misread the OP, for a boost to tri-tip flavour, use a board sauce. Makes the flavour come alive. The combination of herbs, spices and meat juice is really quite interesting. Check out Adam Perry Lang for board sauces. 
    SWMBO likes dash of Montreal Steak mix in the board sauce. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • slantback37
    slantback37 Posts: 135
    Options
    What are the measurements of (S P O G)
    I live in Duluth, Minnesota
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,231
    Options
    Misread the OP, for a boost to tri-tip flavour, use a board sauce. Makes the flavour come alive. The combination of herbs, spices and meat juice is really quite interesting. Check out Adam Perry Lang for board sauces. 
    SWMBO likes dash of Montreal Steak mix in the board sauce. 
    A couple of splashes of balsamic vinegar works great as well.