Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New to forum

Options
Hello everyone.  Just got this grill home and did a first cook on it last night.  
Figured you guys might be able to give me some info or help on this thing.  It says Made in Japan right under the front handle and the firebox is permanently mounted inside.  Judging by the bottom color I would assume that is is clay instead of ceramic or porcelain?  It also has Japanese writing going vertically right above the handle.  My dad had this thing in his shed for over 30 years and I never knew he had it until cleaning it out one day.  
Did my first cook on it last night, figured i'd keep it simple at first with some beer bratwurst and my wife and I both agreed it came out tasting better than it ever had from my gas grill.  
Since I am testing the waters I only used some cinder blocks as a stand right now but if I keep it I plan on building a nice L shaped table.  
I do want to add a temp gauge, does anyone have a recommendation for a gauge that will fit that isn't the $50 BGE version?

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Keep the heat low and you will get years out of it - 800º pizza and you will take it away in a wheelbarrow. 

http://www.amazon.com/Tel-Tru-LT225R-Replacement-Thermometer-degrees/dp/B0055777EU/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428774929&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=tel-tru+barbecue+thermometer+for+BGE

temp gauge....

EDIT - Welcome.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    'bout time she saw some use!  Cool find.
    Phoenix 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Welcome. Maybe a high temp gel type paint on the shell would freshen it up also. I would stick with a Tel-Tru for reliability. As shown by @Skiddymarker they can be found for a reasonable price. Enjoy. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • ASDadam
    ASDadam Posts: 3
    Options
    I'll be picking that thermometer up soon, as well as a 3/8ths hole saw.  What kind of high temp gel paint would work?  Just did a quick google search and didn't see anything, but then again I don't know what i'm looking for.  
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    oh man ... that's AWESOME! I love old komado's! That one has amazing character!
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Welcome to the forum. Great score on the kamado. I love old nostalgic stuff like that. I would leave it as is. As brother SoCal said above, it has character. I wouldn't change a thing. Enjoy it.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Chowman
    Chowman Posts: 159
    Options
    Welcome! It's big, and kinda green ....  I would add some kind of screen at the bottom vent to catch hot embers.  Want to protect your deck.
  • Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    Options
    Welcome and post more on this story often.
    McKinney, TX
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    ASDadam said:
    I'll be picking that thermometer up soon, as well as a 3/8ths hole saw.  What kind of high temp gel paint would work?  Just did a quick google search and didn't see anything, but then again I don't know what i'm looking for.  
    You need to talk with @henapple, he redid one he calls Ag - guess what colour he used? I'm sure he will have some first hand knowledge. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Eggaroo
    Eggaroo Posts: 417
    Options
    Welcome! I think it looks cool the way it is. Awesome find. Enjoy. 
    Greenwood, IN | XL BGE | Weber Genesis | Blackstone 28 | bunch of accessories  =)
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @ASDadam ....I had an old grill dome I used high heat auto spray paint. It's rated over 1000 degrees. Not being sure what it actually is would sand it, clean it and do a test spot to see how it holds up. Do you have the ceramic topper? Personally, I'd redo my bands and leave it...looks cool the way it is.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • NCEggSmoker
    NCEggSmoker Posts: 336
    Options
    Cool find.  Thanks for sharing it. It's hard to tell from the picture, but it looks like some of the ceramic/clay may be exposed.  If so, my primary concern would be having it absorb water and then cooking.  May be that you would want to either "seal" it with some high temp paint/glaze or keep it covered and use it for lower temp cooks.  Whatever you do, it's really cool that you'll be cooking on a kamado that your Pops acquired so long ago.  Welcome aboard and good cooking to you.  
    Raleigh NC, Large BGE and KJ Joe Jr.
  • pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    Options
    Awesome find.  Like mentioned above, keep it to low and slow and it will be ready to be handed down in the future
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • ASDadam
    ASDadam Posts: 3
    Options
    Did a test run today to see how it would do a low and slow.  Filled up the firebox with lump and was able to keep it at a steady 250 for 8 hours before calling it quits.  Still had over half of my lump left.  Although I did notice a half circle crack going along the bottom of the dome.  It goes almost all the way across but only about 8-10 inches high.  Doesn't go outside of the dome though, only confined to inside.