Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question for Weed Burner Owners

Options
cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
edited April 2015 in EggHead Forum
I just picked up a weed burner from Harbor Freight.  Do y'all just bleed the line and leave it connected when not in use?  I imagine yes but just making sure as the manual says to disassemble.  

I have no idea why I waited so long....this thing is awesome!!  I pretty much pulled a boy move and threw 4 sticks in a pit and lit em up like I was flame throwing a bunker.   =)

Love the smell of oak!

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @cazzy I never unhook mine until I change bottles. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I disconnect mine, but that's just because I keep it in my deck box and the propane tank resides in the storage area of my gasser. I can't see why it would be a problem to simply bleed the line off when finished.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,044
    edited April 2015
    Options
    I disconnect the line from my tank.  Mostly because I have a boy just the right age for thinking that would be a cool toy.

(he would be right, but still don't want him burning the house down)
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,617
    Options
    Didn't you say you were solo watching the little ones tonight?
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    +1 for leaving it connected.  I just turn off the gas at the tank.

It's overkill, very fun overkill.
    Phoenix 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I leave connected but I turn off the tank valve.  It lives on the deck.
    Options
    The only way to light an egg
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • cazzy
    Options
    Legume said:
    Yep! Oh how technology is an enabler!   =)
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Genius :glasses: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Like Nola I just turn off at tank valve. 

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I have this kind.  There's no line to bleed & I usually forget to unscrew the disposable bottle.  

Flint, Michigan
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

Did you get the one with the built-in sparker? if not, I would get that one. Price is a little more than the one without it.

I turn off the tank, bleed the line,  and leave it connected to the tank. its been sitting out by the eggs on the uncovered patio for a year or two now, and seems to be just fine. And hell yeah its fun...especially in afterburner mode!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • cazzy
    Options
    caliking said:

Did you get the one with the built-in sparker? if not, I would get that one. Price is a little more than the one without it.

I turn off the tank, bleed the line,  and leave it connected to the tank. its been sitting out by the eggs on the uncovered patio for a year or two now, and seems to be just fine. And hell yeah its fun...especially in afterburner mode!

Nah...I got the regular one.  Wanted it as simple and lightest as can be.  I originally bought one from HD, but returned it.  I imagine I'll miss the starter on windy nights.  
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Those starters are notorious for breaking.  I just use a bic lighter
    Options
    It has been out here for over 6 years. Both Mapp ( for Mini) and weed burner for MM and Larges. a

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I turn off both valves. Bleeding the line makes it easier to cool it around the tank though, as it's not pressurized anymore. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • H12mike
    H12mike Posts: 134
    Options
    They also work great on removing weeds from Colorado River rock.  Just don't use it in a wood mulch flower bed during a drought.  Ask me how I know!  Never used it for the egg though.  It would heat it up to quickly and in turn reduce the beer count!

X-Large BGE, DigiQ, ThermaQ (Blue), CyberQ, Joetissirie, UltraQ, (ex.FlameBoss 200)

Highland Village, TX

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    @cazzy , I leave mine connected to the tank at all times.  I even sometimes forget to turn the valve off on the grill bottle tank, but do shut off the valve on the weed burner itself (or I'd have no propane left).  

You're better off not buying the one with the ignition.  Mine worked for the first few cooks then quit.  I just bought a striker like used for a cutting torch.  I leave it in my accessory Rubbermaid container on my table.  

I feel adding this when I first started was a game changer for me and the Egg.  That was my one thing that I was inconsistent with (lighting).  I was using the starter cubes and just couldn't get the same results every time.  

Now, low and slow, I leave don't torch much and for steaks and high temp I torch it like I stole it.  Up and running for high temp cooking in no time!  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    I've tried starter cubes, napkin oil, electric coil, Map torch, with everything else.  Nothing even comes close to the weed torch.  My Dad helped machine an attachment for a small propane bottle for the weed burner.  My dad got sick of me hauling around the big propane tank to light the egg when hauling the eggs around.  I hate lighting the egg any other way. So one weed torch stays on the big propane tank at home and the other stays on the travel tank for tailgating,  camping,  fests, etc.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    mines connected and never bled, maybe 12 years exposed thru newengland winters and summers, looks like i stored it in seawater =) i should just buy another but i want to get my 20 dollars worth
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Legume said:
    Careful with that. Read yesterday that some guy in Amsterdam hacked into a couples camera and posted it on line. Being the technology wizard you are I'm sure you can secure the cam.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    HF is taking the I told you so route if someone had a fire because they left the tank on and the unattended burner connected.... 
    Same reason all manuals tell you to unplug the tool before changing bits, blades etc...
    The burner valve is not the best quality so to avoid pressure building in the line due to sun or high temps, turn off the tank valve and bleed the line. 
    Geez - I must be the only one who actually uses my burner to kill weeds!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options

henapple said:
    cazzy said:
    Legume said:
    Careful with that. Read yesterday that some guy in Amsterdam hacked into a couples camera and posted it on line. Being the technology wizard you are I'm sure you can secure the cam.
    Hopefully it's not hacked from the guy sending his wife pictures.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,044
    Options
    I used my weed burner to kill weeds, but that was just a bonus use.

I also used it to burn down all my tall decorative grasses after winter.  Hopefully they come back.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    edited April 2015
    Options
    ^^^^ you couldn't kill that stuff if you tried. 
  • cazzy
    edited April 2015
    Options
    henapple said:
    cazzy said:
    Legume said:
    It has encryption and is running a 2.4ghz signal that pretty much terminates about 10-15 yards around the house.  Spray foam insulation and brick sucks for signal strength.

I believe the vulnerable units are WiFi enabled.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• cazzy
    Options
    Those are WiFi enabled and have a IP Addy so the end users can use an app or web browser to monitor their cams.  That is one of the reasons I didn't get one.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Those are WiFi enabled and have a IP Addy so the end users can use an app or web browser to monitor their cams.  That is one of the reasons I didn't get one.
    It's much easier for us if you just upload your pics to the forum anyway. :smiley: 

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker