Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Does the Stoker still do Twitter?

Options
Just playing around with the Stoker today and it seems every way that used to make it speak to a Twitter feed is antiquated and doesn't work anymore.  At least the methods that I have found.  More a curiosity then a necessity but just thought I'd ask...
I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Never tried the Twitter feed thing on mine. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    I never have either, just was playing with it today and thought I'd try it.  Just another goofy way to keep track of things I guess. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    I think twits at Twitter made changes so you can't tweet anymore. But you can have it text to your phone. Been awhile since I set it up.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    The APP notifications will alert per whatever parameter you set it to alert you for on the Pit Pal Pro Edition version. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    Thanks @Hotch and @NPHuskerFL I saw the messaging thing but haven't messed with it and I guess I haven't looked into Pit Pal as far as I should have. I've used Pit Pal with great success, didn't know there were notifications available. But then I've only been out of the house for one cook so far so hasn't been necessary. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Scottborasjr I don't know if the free version has that available but, the upgraded Pro does. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    I've got the Pro version, but I've been home on vacation for a couple weeks and haven't really had to use the tracking features much other then checking temps. I've cooked so much but have always been within a 500 ft walk to the EGG.  So much food I need to eat but so many more things I want to mess around with....
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Just mess around with it and you'll see all that it can do. It's pretty user friendly and most of all it works the way it supposed to. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    Yeah it seems like it's a pretty useful thing, however Mrs. Borasjr will not be happy if I empty the freezer of raw meat and fill it back up with cooked meat... ;)
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Yeah it seems like it's a pretty useful thing, however Mrs. Borasjr will not be happy if I empty the freezer of raw meat and fill it back up with cooked meat... ;)
    Talk to your neighbors and let them know if they provide raw butts you will turn them into pulled pork, they just need to cover the lump costs. I bet you will end up with lots of cooking time to tweak it.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    Great idea @DMW I'm typically too giving when it comes to the food, maybe if I ask they will actually contribute to the cause. Thanks for the idea!!
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    I should say that on the Stoker when using Amir's Stokerlog software that the text feature is what I used once the twits at twitter shut down the twitter option.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    The APP notifications will alert per whatever parameter you set it to alert you for on the Pit Pal Pro Edition version. 

Ok I have the pro app and I don't even have the stoker yet--overly excited--I assume that with this no need for twitter
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Scottborasjr
    Options
    No no need at all, just a feature Rock's still advertises so I was trying to figure it out.
  • platypusrex
    platypusrex Posts: 225
    Options
    The StokerX software for Mac will tweet updates for you, that's what I use (see the Twitter acct in my sig file). Not sure if the Windows software version will tweet.
    LBGE, platesetter, Stoker wifi, StokerX Mac software, Pit Pal for iOS, @HerringBigEgg on Twitter, joined forum in 2008
    Austin, TX
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    @Scottborasjr did you see the documentation on their website?  Not sure if it still applies:

https://www.rocksbarbque.com/PDF/Accessing_Twitter.pdf

They are saying the workaround is to use a service called www.supertweet.net which I am not familiar with.  Not sure it would even be worth the trouble.

LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• Scottborasjr
    Options
    Yeah supertweet basically got a cease and desist order from Twitter over a year ago. I looked at all that too unfortunately. Thanks for looking though.
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Yeah supertweet basically got a cease and desist order from Twitter over a year ago. I looked at all that too unfortunately. Thanks for looking though.
    I see.  That's too bad, and you're welcome.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• platypusrex
    platypusrex Posts: 225
    Options
    Rock should take down the inaccurate info about tweeting using supertweet, that is kinda lame and misleading that it's still on there. He could update it to say that folks can tweet using whichever PC/Mac and mobile apps that work with Twitter. Seems like he's been busy solving other business issues lately, but a simple website update like this should take less than an hour.
    LBGE, platesetter, Stoker wifi, StokerX Mac software, Pit Pal for iOS, @HerringBigEgg on Twitter, joined forum in 2008
    Austin, TX