Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Brisket - Open to Suggestions

Options

Ok so doing a trial run on a brisket.  The big party is next month, but yeah I'm doing one tomorrow for a trial run.  I already have it marinated since last night - put some mustard on for coating and a BBQ rub on the outside.  Smells fantastic.  I would like some further advice though. 

My cut is the flat; about 7.5 lbs. 

• What temp would you put the egg?
  • What temp should I raise meat to?  (I was thinking 200-205)
  • Smoke chips:  Pecan, apple, hickory or cherry?
  • What type of sauce?  (I am from St. Louis if that gives anyone any regional inspiration)

I plan to FTC it for a couple hours after taking off.  Any advice appreciated. 

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I would use hickory or oak, cook between 250-275 because it's easy to maintain without a pit controller, and cook until the thickest part probes like buttah. Start checking 190 ish depending of fat content. I don't sauce at all. Might put some on the table for guest. 

Note: I'm far from a brisket expert, but this works for me. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    Hickory or oak.

Shoot for 250 but take anything between 220-280.

Start checking for tenderness when the meat hits 190.  Take it off when it probes like "buttah".

Flats are challenging.   It may not get as tender as you like but it should still be tasty.  I would only use sauce if that is the case.  If you hit a home run you don't need the sauce. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    also, before putting on egg make a cut and (remove a small piece) cross grain, this will show you how to slice when it is done
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    Yes.  As @piney said, slicing is crucial on brisket - especially on a flat. 

Unfortunately for you, many of the brisket pros are drunk in Salado right now so you are stuck with advice from an amateur.  (I can't speak for piney - he may be a pro)

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Hell, I'm a drunk amateur in Dalton. Don't listen to me!
  • Sookie
    Sookie Posts: 335
    Options

Good advice piney, I will heed that.  Also I do have pit control so temp shouldn't be a problem to maintain. 

• piney
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Yes.  As @piney said, slicing is crucial on brisket - especially on a flat. 

Unfortunately for you, many of the brisket pros are drunk in Salado right now so you are stuck with advice from an amateur.  (I can't speak for piney - he may be a pro)
    I thought there for a minute you knew I was drunk!
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    I tend to wrap when I do flats since they can dry out a bit.  Your choice.  If you do, then shoot for 160-ish.  I double foil wrap and add a 1/4 cup or so of beef broth.  The wrap will also take you through the stall quicker.  You may lose a little of the bark texture, but I have had good luck.  Make sure you heed the advice and start checking for doneness by 190-ish. 
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    By the way, less is more regarding your wood chunks.  I happen to like a combination of pecan and oak, or just oak by itself.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Oak is the ticket. 225-250 temp. Averages 1-1.5hrs per pound. Each brisket is different. Start probing around 195. It's done when the probing is like butta. Be patient. Don't freak out if you get a long stall, just keep at it. My last brisket stalled at 180 for over six hours. Wrap in foil after pulling of grill, put in cooler and cover with towels (FTC) until meat temp reaches 145. Cut across the grain with a sharp knife. Enjoy the ride. Briskets are fun. 
  • piney
    Options
    Sookie, we did a flat last summer that turned out great, at 160 wrapped in foil and poured in 2 cups of black coffee returned to egg till 200 IT (about 2hrs). Just another way of doing things 
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Hell, I'm a drunk amateur in Dalton. Don't listen to me!
    Gotta love Dalton folk. I'm in Marietta and pass through there all the time for work. We do some work for the plants. Basically stole some carpet from Beckler's a couple months ago. 
  • Dave in Florida
    Options
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • piney
    Options
    And don't forget to search for "Brisket how I do it" 
    Lenoir, N.C.