Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Y’all are killing it in st party’s day. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,868
    Options
    lousubcap said:

@CPFC1905 - The personal drive is hard to describe and more challenging to express.  Congrats to your son for having the vision and determination to stay the course.
    As parents you both had tremendous influence on his development.  Clearly he was fully supported and encouraged in the pursuit of his dream and goal.  My heartiest congratulations to all who have contributed to this great occasion. 

Hopefully your futbol/football newsies continue as the season heads to the finish-line. 
    Thank you for those kind words.  

And so today is officially day #1 for our empty nest, both chicks have now flown.  
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,366
    Options
    Getting ready to make a thing. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 692
    Options
    I thought I asked for aqua fresco. There are no bubbles. I'm guessing the miscommunication is on me. 
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    CPFC1905 said:
    lousubcap said:

@CPFC1905 - The personal drive is hard to describe and more challenging to express.  Congrats to your son for having the vision and determination to stay the course.
    As parents you both had tremendous influence on his development.  Clearly he was fully supported and encouraged in the pursuit of his dream and goal.  My heartiest congratulations to all who have contributed to this great occasion. 

Hopefully your futbol/football newsies continue as the season heads to the finish-line. 
    Thank you for those kind words.  

And so today is officially day #1 for our empty nest, both chicks have now flown.  
    Time to party! 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,446
    Options
    Planning a nice LEO journey this PM.  Just finished reviewing the tax info with the accountant.  Relative to 2017; made less, withheld more and still owe even more.  Dang-what a way to start the week.  Fortunately I have an adequate supply of rocket fuel on hand. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Planning a nice LEO journey this PM.  Just finished reviewing the tax info with the accountant.  Relative to 2017; made less, withheld more and still owe even more.  Dang-what a way to start the week.  Fortunately I have an adequate supply of rocket fuel on hand. 
    I get made and owe, what is withheld in US tax speak?
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,684
    edited March 2019
    Options
    @Eoin Taxes taken from your paycheck before you receive it.  Basically you have taxes taken out of every paycheck to cover your yearly income tax. Around the beginning of a new year you file taxes, and reconcile what was taken out vs what you actually owe.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    If you are self employed you make quarterly estimated taxes to accomplish the same thing.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    if you are rich you don't actually have to pay income tax! but we had better save that discussion for another thread or forum.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    Aldi had turkey breast on sale....So we had turkey breast tonight.  It is a very nice day to spend on the deck.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    @Hans61 you scored on those!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Anniversary dinner. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Anniversary dinner. 

Spent three days in their bar one night. Great place. Enjoy and congrats!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Hans61 said:
    Is it just me or is this pretty decent for choice?

Just you and yes.
    Options
    Options
    @Eoin Taxes taken from your paycheck before you receive it.  Basically you have taxes taken out of every paycheck to cover your yearly income tax. Around the beginning of a new year you file taxes, and reconcile what was taken out vs what you actually owe.
    Most people here are on straight PAYE where all taxes are deducted by the employer and passed to the Govt. I think our tax system is simpler than yours, so for most people there is no requirement or need to reconcile at the year end. 
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    If you are self employed you make quarterly estimated taxes to accomplish the same thing.
    Self employed or people with multiple income sources fill in a return each year. The tax year ends 5th April and end January the following year is the filing / payment deadline. We have to make 2 payments a year based on the ptevious year's submission, so theoretically you have paid it all 4 months after the end of the tax year.

Self employed / company owner is becomming less advantageous as the Govt try and fleece everyone.

Apart for the rich, of course. If you can afford the lawyers to set the scheme up and utilise offshore tax havens, the marginal rate plummets. This also applies to many offshore based companies, frequently US owned, who use the variable rules across EU member states and tax havens to make any tax corporation payments effectively voluntary. Of course, we have the benefit of thousands of minimum wage jobs (often subsidised through tax credits) AND we get to eat / drink their crappy subs / burgers / coffee or buy their books while they put actual UK owned tax paying companies out of business.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Eoin said:
    Self employed or people with multiple income sources fill in a return each year. The tax year ends 5th April and end January the following year is the filing / payment deadline. We have to make 2 payments a year based on the ptevious year's submission, so theoretically you have paid it all 4 months after the end of the tax year.

Self employed / company owner is becomming less advantageous as the Govt try and fleece everyone.

Apart for the rich, of course. If you can afford the lawyers to set the scheme up and utilise offshore tax havens, the marginal rate plummets. This also applies to many offshore based companies, frequently US owned, who use the variable rules across EU member states and tax havens to make any tax corporation payments effectively voluntary. Of course, we have the benefit of thousands of minimum wage jobs (often subsidised through tax credits) AND we get to eat / drink their crappy subs / burgers / coffee or buy their books while they put actual UK owned tax paying companies out of business.
    Yep, sad.  They (the big multi-national food chains) and others have done the same here. Before they did it all over the world.

That said, New Orleans is still a food mecca, and while you will find the chains, the mom and pop owned greasy spoons and legit chef-run restaurants are abundant and thriving, although the competition is fierce and you have to have all your sh*t together to stay alive with a good product.

Too much special interest influence here to make the tax laws fair to the average person vs large corporation.  Money and income are rising faster for the very wealthy than the middle class and we basically subsidized huge tax breaks for business by borrowing more money that we and our future generations will have to pay back.
    Options
    Eoin said:

Yep, sad.  They (the big multi-national food chains) and others have done the same here. Before they did it all over the world.

That said, New Orleans is still a food mecca, and while you will find the chains, the mom and pop owned greasy spoons and legit chef-run restaurants are abundant and thriving, although the competition is fierce and you have to have all your sh*t together to stay alive with a good product.

Too much special interest influence here to make the tax laws fair to the average person vs large corporation.  Money and income are rising faster for the very wealthy than the middle class and we basically subsidized huge tax breaks for business by borrowing more money that we and our future generations will have to pay back.
    Strangely (or not), many donors to the party that keeps delaying greater offshore ownership transparency are also offshore company owners. 
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Elijah said:
    I thought I asked for aqua fresco. There are no bubbles. I'm guessing the miscommunication is on me. 
    Aqua con gas - Italian
    Agua con gas - Spanish
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• thetrim
    Options
    They are no Tumbling Wheels.  I recommend watching at 1/2 speed with the sound off.
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Options
    Just heard about Mike Trout's contract.  I'm gonna go wake my son up and have a catch with him.
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,366
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Just heard about Mike Trout's contract.  I'm gonna go wake my son up and have a catch with him.
    Good grief, good for him. He it's certainly one of my favourite non-Astros to watch play. 
    Las Vegas, NV

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,446
    Options
    Shortest route to success in the Bigs is to be a left-handed pitcher with a lotta heat and decent control.  I was 0-2 with developing lefties with my sons. 
    And I'm even an old-tired lefty.  Life is not fair...  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.