Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - What are you doing right now?

Options

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,497
    Options
    Botch said:
    I'm still battling the *$&%^! paper wasps
    @Botch ... how about tenting the mirror like they do with houses?  Put the soaked cotton ball in place; cover the mirror with a clear plastic bag; tape the bag in place to force them to breath the spray.  Could use a Freon tank to gas them also.
    Next step I guess, thanks!  

"In the twinkling of an eye, I found myself without an office, without a seat, without a party, and without an appendix."  - Winston Churchill

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,631
    Options
    Doesn't wasp spray have to touch them?  I think I remember reading that - not a typical poison.  I'll have to go google up on that unless Nola the chemist weighs in.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,170
    Options
    Wasp spray has to hit them directly.  It has a neurotoxin that messes them up and they die.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Legume
    Options
    That's it.  They die fast too.  There's one spot above my front door where I have to stand at the top of a ladder to spray them and when I hit the nest, they all fly out and are dead before they hit me.  It's unnerving, but I just wear a hat.  Safer than jumping off the ladder.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Yes, if it was a gas it wouldn't spray in a stream and it would probably kill everything within 50 feet.  Fogger would do what you want. Well, sort of.  I think they fog with an aerosol (tiny particles of liquid or solid).
    Options
    @Botch   Had a similar situation before.  

If you have some decorative snow, or that suff you use for making spiderwebs at Halloween, saturate it with your wasp spray and stuff it in/around/between the mirror and housing.  In a pinch, you can wrap cotton gauze around cardboard and do the same. Leave in place for 48 hrs, rewetting every morning and early evening.

After 48 hrs, you should be able to remove it and be done.  For insurance, you can spray Seven dust behind there as well, as it will kill any that may end up crawling back there if some come back because the dust will lightly cover the nest. When they land and crawl over it, they will spread it in the best as well.  Pick a dry streak in the weather to do this.   

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Reveling in the fact that I got my first troll flag yesterday.  I finally feel like I'm a full forum member.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Sitting at work planning my tailgating menu for Saturday. Amen.
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Acn said:
    Reveling in the fact that I got my first troll flag yesterday.  I finally feel like I'm a full forum member.
    That comment didn't seem very trollish...
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Daydreaming about the weekend.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Daydreaming about my 5 day weekend that starts at 2:08pm today...

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,057
    Options
    Spending $7K on a new AC unit.  :(
  • Legume
    Options
    Griffin said:
    Dove hunting this year @Griffin ?
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    Ouch!  Had to replace mine last Dec.  Thankfully, mine wasn't that steep!  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Legume said:
    Griffin said:
    Dove hunting this year @Griffin ?

Yeah but the season starts later down in South Texas where our ranch is.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,057
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    Praying the downstairs unit doesn't die on me too.  We'd hafta grill ramen noodles on the egg.  
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Acn said:
    That comment didn't seem very trollish...

I didn't think so either, but there it is.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Botch
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    We'd hafta grill ramen noodles on the egg.  
    Hmmmm.... :lightbulb: 

"In the twinkling of an eye, I found myself without an office, without a seat, without a party, and without an appendix."  - Winston Churchill

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    Dyal_SC said:
    Praying the downstairs unit doesn't die on me too.  We'd hafta grill ramen noodles on the egg.  
    @Dyal_SC Can you boil water on the Egg?  ;)
  • Botch
    Options
    Wasp spray has to hit them directly.  It has a neurotoxin that messes them up and they die.
    I was tempted to do that, but the can states not to drench asphalt surfaces as it will melt, I sure as heck don't want to spray that behind a plastic mirror housing, full of gears and electrics, and also risk having it drip onto my truck door paint.
    There are only two sitting on the mirror right now, and they're not moving very fast; will get them with the electric flyswatter this morning.  

• tarheelmatt
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    Dyal_SC said:
    Hopefully so buddy.  Fortunatly my house didn't require too large of a unit, my replacement costed around $3k.  Think that was a 3 or 4 ton.  It is a York.  Included UV light, new air handler, and Tstat. Duct work didn't have to be changed.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,216
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Wondering what happened to the "other" thread? Looks like it was killed outright and not just sunk. Did I miss something? 
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    My thread got nuked.... I'm devastated.  
    Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    It sat there idle for a bit. If something happened, I missed it. It got linked in the "other anti other" thread and it got nuked and Ron's got sunk. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,170
    Options
    Wondering what happened to the "other" thread? Looks like it was killed outright and not just sunk. Did I miss something? 
    Nope, it was pretty benign thread.  Nola was being Nola and some people took offense.  Then travis let loose.  Again, pretty tame.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    My thread got nuked.... I'm devastated.  
    You should start a thread with that title. It could be epic. 
  • Legume
    Options
    I'm guessing that's the first time Ron has had a thread sunk.
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    Appears @Fred19Flintstone got the last comment in before the thread was laid to rest....

Thomasville, NC
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Botch
    Options
    =) Matt's gonna have HUNDREDS of folks clicking on that picture of a link up there^^^.  
    Not me, of course, I could never be fooled like that.  :pirate: 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    My post count dropped by about 100 because of that.  I've probably lost 1200 posts because I post on doomed threads.