Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoker ban?

Options
Let us know your thoughts. This would never happen in Texas. http://news.yahoo.com/coughing-neighbors-bay-area-rethink-outdoor-cooking-171550066.html
Dave - Austin, TX

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    That's some **** right there. Eggs by the bay isn't gonna be happy with this report
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    edited January 2015
    Options
    This will hopefully not spread. I can't burn my leaves any more, but I want the ability to burn my food.
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Those still residing in San Fran, probably shouldn't be too surprised at the direction of things.  I believe Jimmy Buffet would refer to them as fruitcakes at the mall.  Roller skating nekid is another line that is certainly fitting for San Fran.

I wish all my neighbors smoked meat all night.  I'd sleep with the windows open every day.  OOOOH MY BURNING EYES....smh
    Phoenix 
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    It's probably not BBQ smoke they're choking on, they're probably choking on the ganja. I guess they wouldn't be too happy with this guy when he needs to run to the store to pick up more lump. image
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Options
    That smoke they are choking on is blowing in from Humbolt county I'm sure :)
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I think the toxicity argument is weak - may be scientifically true, but how much would you have to inhale as a neighbor to really make this an issue and how much would someone need to be cooking next door, etc. for that much to get to you.

I think the real issue is if I'm sleeping with my windows open at night and someone is running a smoker that is upwind, that would piss me off if it happened all the time and I had to keep my windows closed.  But, that's also what you get when you live on top of each other, more overlap to workout with neighbors. 

We should totally have more laws.  Lots and lots of 'em.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    My neighbors actually love the smell of Unit #6 coming on line.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    I'm with @SGH my neighbors know when theysmell smoke they ddon't have to cook that night.

Maybe that is the answer feed thy neighbors.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options
    Yes it is hard living in the city with burn bans.  I have only found one way to get around it, have a party and make sure to invite the neighbors! 
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited January 2015
    Options
    It is kind of silly because where does it end?  Are you allowed to have a fireplace that burns real wood...or does every house have to install gas logs?

I think they should just outlaw those wildfires that happen all the time in CA.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    I live 1/2 mile from the neighbour to the north, 1/4 mile from the neighbour to the south and 1 1/4 miles to neighbours east and west and haven't heard anybody complain about my bbq.  We use to have people burn tires out in the country and people would complain but those days are at least 25 years in the past.

Gerhard
  • NervousDad
    NervousDad Posts: 307
    edited January 2015
    Options

It is kind of silly because where does it end?  Are you allowed to have a fireplace that burns real wood...or does every house have to install gas logs?

I believe that they already banned them or the at least planned to ban them in new construction at one point. Edit - That was Berkley, the Bay Area banned during the winter months during their air alerts,,,
    Aurora,OH
  • McStew
    Options

It will never end.  During any burn ban you are not allowed to burn wood charcoal or manufactured fire logs.  This is the same reason why companies like rockwood wont ship to CA and I do not blame them its just not worth it.  But we love living here and just deal with the BS.  
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • McStew
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hermosa Beach CA 
  • blasting
    Options
    In Arizona, we have lots of no burn days.  No campfires, no burning leaves, no fireplace fires.  There is no clear ban on grilling.  
    Phoenix 
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Personally, I find this to be ridiculous. People who live close together just need to be courteous to each other. Laws can't fix stupid.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I just wonder what the heck he was cooking on that caused that much smoke. I could light all my smokers and after the first 45 minutes or so once they are dialed in there's very little smoke coming out and no way it would cause someone to choke 2 houses down.
  • blasting
    Options
    Lit said:
    I just wonder what the heck he was cooking on that caused that much smoke. I could light all my smokers and after the first 45 minutes or so once they are dialed in there's very little smoke coming out and no way it would cause someone to choke 2 houses down.
    It could be something as simple as they are vegetarians.

When you come across a vegetarian, do you ever wonder what went so wrong in their childhood? 
    Phoenix 
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    Options
    It might only be lightly annoying but if it continues for 8 hours it may have just pushed him over the edge.  I think once something starts bothering people it doesn't take much to make their behaviour irrational when viewed by folks with no dog in the fight.  

Gerhard
  • VooDuuChild
    Options
    Leave it California...so glad I was born there...AND MOVED to the sticks in Washington.  But it rains here all the time...so stay away   ;-)
    1) XLBGE                  1) PK's Pro 100 pound capacity commercial grade electric smoker
    2) Chief smokers        1) Brinkmann...first smoker...gave to a buddy after years of great service.
    1) Char Broil Gas grill  1) Square Char Broil coal grill   1) Round XL Weber round coal grill
    1) Rotisserie for the Weber grill (AWESOME).....I don't have a problem, I can stop anytime I want...I can.
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Easy ya bunch of animals, proud California native here, we'll see about this alleged ban, until then stand down rest of America.
    %-( :-@ :P
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    @blasting‌ my wife is Vegan. Not a meat is murder vegan just a health choice.
  • globetrotter
    Options
    Well the neighbors might try to ruin your fun but at least when you live in the city it smells bad, parking sucks, traffic sucks, personal and property safety is marginal, and everything you do is complicated by a factor of misery and everything costs more. It must be really neat to live there.
    Globetrotter  ~It's all smoke and mirrors on my large Big Green Egg~
    A few miles upwind of Ann Arbor, Michigan