Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- American Sniper

Options

Comments

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Tjcoley said:
    Thank you @travisstrick You don't know how much this means to me coming from you.  Thank you for your service and thank you for your comments.  It's been an emotional night reliving this. 
    I handed out many many flags over the last few years. Several were active duty (read young folks). Many were old folks. 

I gave a flag to an old women in far far backwoods texas. She suffered from an extreme form of alzimers. While I was saying the words, she YELLED "what am I supposed to do without him". That was the only time I lost my **** while presenting the flag. That lovely woman had never known a life with out her beloved husband. I walked away with tears in my eyes. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    henapple said:
    Sorry, but no. It's about a man who thrived on killing.
    Respectfully, I couldn't disagree more but, it's great to live in a country where can have and voice our opinions. I believe the movie and Chris Kyle was very much more than about killing. That being said.. Seth Rogan compared Chris Kyle to the 3rd part of Inglorious Bastards. I'm not a big boycott person but I'll not see any more of his "work". The only other. .. Jane Hanoi Hilton Fonda....that ****.

Also respectfully, because I just think you are awesome. :) I, too, served my country. 14 years total. I saw ugly, ugly stuff. I have read the book, which is why I won't see the movie. Perhaps it conveys a different story. In my mind, we do what we need to do. To take any kind of pride, solace, anything, from the taking of another human life...no. Bad guys are bad guys. We do what we need to do. Enjoy it? Brag about it? No.
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Tjcoley said:
    Thank you @travisstrick You don't know how much this means to me coming from you.  Thank you for your service and thank you for your comments.  It's been an emotional night reliving this. 
    I may be a drunk son of a **** most times but I hold the fallen in the highest regard. Tell me where he is laid to rest and I will visit it and give him full honors. 

Thank you Travis. Per his request, his ashes, together with my Mon's were buried at sea in an official ceremony out of the Naval base in Norfolk. I truly appreciate the offer.
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited January 2015
    Options
    PNWFoodie said:

My Military Sister. You had your job/duty, I had mine, @stemc33‌, @travisstrick‌ and many others here. He had his duty and perhaps he did enjoy it. I enjoyed my job in the Navy. But, to put it in perspective although I didn't pull a trigger if you served at or during wartime we were part of the mission and military readiness. The military is here to keep the peace.
    I don't mean this to sound ugly toward you or others at all @PNWFoodie‌ (thank you for your tireless service to our country).
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Uh, Seth Rogen is Canadian. I don't think any Americans fought for his freedom. There are Canadians who did, though.
    500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    My two daughters, age 13 and 14, want to go see this movie.  I'm hesitant to see it with them because of the R rating, but I think the storyline is good.  Is it a mistake to accompany them to this R movie.  The like seeing movies based on true stories.  Also saw a Today show clip about it today, saying it was a pro-war, AND an anti-war movie; not leaning toward one or the other.  so that leaves it up to the audience to decide for themselves.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Uh, Seth Rogen is Canadian. I don't think any Americans fought for his freedom. There are Canadians who did, though.
    @Eggcelsior ... With due respect, let me call you on that statement.  Canada, as well as, the United States and other countries, are in America ... North America to be specific.  Thus, Canadians are Americans. Yes? 

Canada is part of the American family, although they're a little like the crazy aunt sometimes.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    edited January 2015
    Options

Born in Canada, but holds dual citizenship actually because his father was American.

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @Eggcelsior ... With due respect, let me call you on that statement.  Canada, as well as, the United States and other countries, are in America ... North America to be specific.  Thus, Canadians are Americans. Yes? 

Canada is part of the American family, although they're a little like the crazy aunt sometimes.
    @Jeepster, I fully realize that and have used that train of thought before, but in this case, it's out of context. The context here is the meme posted above my comment. In that context, "American" refers to the word as a colloquialism for "The United States of America". :D

@KennyLee, I know that, but it messes up the joke! 
    ;)
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Back to the 'American Sniper' part of this post ... to be honest the movie didn't have much effect on my. I left without a tear in my eye.

Does that make me a monster?
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    My Military Sister. You had your job/duty, I had mine, @stemc33‌, @travisstrick‌ and many others here. He had his duty and perhaps he did enjoy it. I enjoyed my job in the Navy. But, to put it in perspective although I didn't pull a trigger if you served at or during wartime we were part of the mission and military readiness. The military is here to keep the peace. I don't mean this to sound ugly toward you or others at all @PNWFoodie‌ (thank you for your tireless service to our country).

I didn't think there was anything ugly about that at all. I appreciate all who served. War is ugly, whether just or not. It is still ugly. I remember when I was very young and didn't know better asking my grandfather if he had killed anyone during his time in WWII. He quietly explained that he did what he had to do, but did not talk about it. He would tell stories about the war, but not about harming others. I think media tends to lose sight of the humanity involved. To quote Kyle himself, "Hollywood fantasizes about it and makes it look good. It -- war sucks,"
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    Tjcoley, great story about your dad.  Thanks for sharing.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • veewt
    veewt Posts: 50
    Options
    I'll just leave this here:

You know, it's totally possible to think an individual is not a nice person without it reflecting on an entire group of people that the person happens to belong to.  Just sayin'
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    Tjcoley said:
    @Skiddymarker‌ Agreed. My Dad was 20 plus years Navy, part of the Greatest Generation. On the Missouri when the Treaty was signed. One of my brothers was 20 years Air Force Another was 8 years Army and now 20 plus years Foreign Service. Due to physical issues I never served, something I always regret. I have the greatest respect for those who did

Don't regret, just help out the poor s.o.bs that needed help and haven't received the help that they f ing deserve and earned and their family's that need help. Not telling anyone what to do but make YOUR political pawn that YOU voted for stand up and be accountable. . And welcome a Vietnam Vet home. They NEVER got a homecoming . And in M H O. Stop thanking me. It was my job what I got paid to do just make sure the "benefits " we earned improve or don't stop altogether. Off my box need more ~O)
  • UrbanForestTurnings
    Options
    PNWFoodie said:
    My Military Sister. You had your job/duty, I had mine, @stemc33‌, @travisstrick‌ and many others here. He had his duty and perhaps he did enjoy it. I enjoyed my job in the Navy. But, to put it in perspective although I didn't pull a trigger if you served at or during wartime we were part of the mission and military readiness. The military is here to keep the peace. I don't mean this to sound ugly toward you or others at all @PNWFoodie‌ (thank you for your tireless service to our country).

I didn't think there was anything ugly about that at all. I appreciate all who served. War is ugly, whether just or not. It is still ugly. I remember when I was very young and didn't know better asking my grandfather if he had killed anyone during his time in WWII. He quietly explained that he did what he had to do, but did not talk about it. He would tell stories about the war, but not about harming others. I think media tends to lose sight of the humanity involved. To quote Kyle himself, "Hollywood fantasizes about it and makes it look good. It -- war sucks,"

Haven't seen the movie. Don't know if I can . Definitely not in a public theater. Any person that "thrives" on killing shouldn't be serving our country. Your interpretation of the move and the interpretation of the film maker will NEVER reflect what this young man had to endure. If you have never strapped on his boots and stood in the sand, swamp , beach or flew so close to God that you could touch his or her face. U will never understand. And I pray you never have to. :)>-
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    veewt said:
    I'll just leave this here:

You know, it's totally possible to think an individual is not a nice person without it reflecting on an entire group of people that the person happens to belong to.  Just sayin'
    Good article. Dude might, have done some good but was also an incredible liar and the rumor about many of his kills, especially when compared to other snipers serving in same areas during the same time, are beyond troubling. 

I have not seen the movie, though I most certainly will. But I cannot imagine it ever stacks up to Band of Brothers or The Pacific. I know those are not traditional movies but more a mini-series.

I do agree with Kyle, and many others who have said the same thing, that war and murder should not be glorified though. 

Reminds me of the song "Sands of Iowa Jima" by Drive by truckers

Boom
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I don't understand why he lied, but.... "Kyle served four tours of duty in Iraq and was awarded two Silver Stars and five Bronze Stars for Valor for his actions during the war".

Jesse V. Is a douche IMHO. You're going to sue a widow? Asshat.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • FanOfFanboys
    edited January 2015
    Options
    henapple said:
    I don't understand why he lied, but.... "Kyle served four tours of duty in Iraq and was awarded two Silver Stars and five Bronze Stars for Valor for his actions during the war". Jesse V. Is a douche IMHO. You're going to sue a widow? Asshat.
    http://www.nationalreview.com/article/384176/justice-jesse-ventura-was-right-his-lawsuit-j-delgado

Not exactly how it went down. Good article on it but it is 3 pages long. 

Whoa, there. Ventura sued Kyle in 2012. Kyle died, tragically, about a year later. The lawsuit then shifted to Chris Kyle’s estate, for which his wife, Taya, is the executor. It is utterly normal for a lawsuit to shift onto the estate, especially when the estate has profited from the issue in dispute. Considering Taya herself has profited from the book (earnings are estimated at a whopping $6 million, thanks to royalties and rights), it stands to reason that the shift is appropriate.
    Boom
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Alright so I just sat in the theatre. Got here early cuz I knew it would be crowded. Strange thing is I see a lot of kids. 10-14 I'd say. Am I the only one that this bothers. I mean it's not based on a call of duty game. Maybe I'm just getting old.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @FanOfFanboys‌ ...8 understand the legality of it but, it could've been dropped at anytime. It's not like jv is broke. Just classless to me.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @grege345 I noticed the same thing WRT kids. And it bothered me. I have a 10 & 12 yr and I would not have been comfortable with them seeing it.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @FanOfFanboys‌ So with Jesse Ventura winning his suite for 1.8M this makes things all White right? He's a victim? The fact Ventura won or sued for that matter doesn't make him a Gargantuan Douche. It's that he took the money from Kyle's Widow and that Ventura himself is a USN Veteran of War and still took the "payday". If he was simply looking to restore his name he won so, why not turn down the $$$.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • FanOfFanboys
    edited January 2015
    Options

@FanOfFanboys‌ So with Jesse Ventura winning his suite for 1.8M this makes things all White right? He's a victim? The fact Ventura won or sued for that matter doesn't make him a Gargantuan Douche. It's that he took the money from Kyle's Widow and that Ventura himself is a USN Veteran of War and still took the "payday". If he was simply looking to restore his name he won so, why not turn down the $$$.

So I guess you did not read either of the links about Kyle

1) Ventura is a douche. Zero bearing on this case.
    2) Ventura originally just wanted apology or retraction. Kyle declined
    3) Kyle gave over hour long deposition. Case started over year prior to his death
    4) Ventura paid for all his court costs out of pocket. Kyle nor his wife did
    5) Ventura got zero money from his wife. It came from the book sales by Kyle that were defamation of character to Ventura
    6) So Kyle can make money off being a liar but Ventura can't recoup costs of trial or portion of profit that was generated from Kyle's lies?
    7) Kyle can lie about the donations of book profit, excess of $6 million, but Ventura is the bad guy?

Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    henapple said:

@FanOfFanboys‌ ...8 understand the legality of it but, it could've been dropped at anytime. It's not like jv is broke. Just classless to me.

All Kyle had to do was 1) not be a liar or 2) apologize for being a liar and there would be no case. The book was a huge revenue generator and partly at expense of Ventura.
    And big chunk of that, like $500K, is covered by the publisher and not from the Kyle estate. And Ventura probably won't ever get the full settlement anyway bc there will be appeals.
    Boom
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options

So I guess you did not read either of the links about Kyle 1) Ventura is a douche. Zero bearing on this case. 2) Ventura originally just wanted apology or retraction. Kyle declined 3) Kyle gave over hour long deposition. Case started over year prior to his death 4) Ventura paid for all his court costs out of pocket. Kyle not his wife did 5) Ventura got zero money from his wife. It came from the book sales by Kyle that were defamation of character to Ventura 6) So Kyle can make money off being a liar but Ventura can't recoup costs of trial or portion of profit that was generated from Kyle's lies? 7) Kyle can lie about the donations of book profit, excess of $6 million, but Ventura is the bad guy?
    I'm sure the movie profits will make Ventura's gain seem miniscule

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @FanOfFanboys‌ Yep that about covers it. Maybe I'm just too focused on the brotherhood of it all. Suing a Veteran like himself Ventura is just seems foul.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014