Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- American Sniper

Options

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    SoCalTim said:
    I wanted to love this movie. I was soo pumped sitting in the theatre waiting for it to start ... all the trailers were awesome ... the interview with his wife on Megyn Kelly's show made me emotional.

IMO, the movie fell short, just so-so ... I judge a movie on one question - would I see it again. In a word, no.

There's no doubt Cris Kyle is an American hero, a legend if you will ... but the movie was over hyped.

I felt Bradley Cooper gave a first class performance, but ultimately, the supporting cast was par at best.  There is a reason why the picture wasn't nominated, but Cooper was.   I was cracking up with that stiff a$$ fake baby that he was holding during one scene.  I look forward to reading the book and am thankful that his family will benefit greatly for the picture.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    SoCalTim said:

There's no doubt Cris Kyle is an American hero, a legend if you will ... but the movie was over hyped.

The above comment is exactly why I refuse to watch any trailers, commercials, watch clips or read articles/reviews about any film I have an interest in until after I've seen it.  I prefer to go into a movie with an open mind and clean slate.  Otherwise you stand to be disappointed because of unrealistic expectations.   

I hear ya brother, but I've seen 'trailers, commercials, watched clips and read articles/reviews' on many other movies and they, alot of the time have met expectations ..

sometimes not, but alot of times yes.

I certainly hope my opinion of this movie doesn't make me seem 'less patriotic' to people, as I am a veteran of the Gulf War .. and truly love my country, I just didn't love this movie.

I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Not at all brother......and thank you for your service.  I know exactly what you meant and never thought otherwise!!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • bigalsworth
    Options
    cazzy said:

SoCalTim said:

I wanted to love this movie. I was soo pumped sitting in the theatre waiting for it to start ... all the trailers were awesome ... the interview with his wife on Megyn Kelly's show made me emotional.

IMO, the movie fell short, just so-so ... I judge a movie on one question - would I see it again. In a word, no.

I felt Bradley Cooper gave a first class performance, but ultimately, the supporting cast was par at best.  There is a reason why the picture wasn't nominated, but Cooper was.   I was cracking up with that stiff a$$ fake baby that he was holding during one scene.  I look forward to reading the book and am thankful that his family will benefit greatly for the picture.

The baby was hilarious. I found it took away from the scene. I also felt that they got a little confused with the direction in a certain part of the film. The scene where he passes his brother and then the scene with his buddy with the moustache talking about the reasons there were there. I think they had already established his patriotism and reasons to be there well enough but they decided to open that can of worms but never really commit to it. I don't believe this was a movie about the validity of the war but a movie about this man and his beliefs.
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    lol ... I thought I was the only person to notice the 'fake' baby ... I think my fav scene was when Cris came down from his perch to help the guys clear buildings.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Sorry, but no. It's about a man who thrived on killing.
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    PNWFoodie said:
    Sorry, but no. It's about a man who thrived on killing.

Thats what Uncle Sam paid him to do and he was masterful at it.
    Jacksonville FL
  • bigalsworth
    Options
    His beliefs in killing
    Large BGE
    BBQ Guru DigiQ II

Martensville, Saskatchewan Canada
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    edited January 2015
    Options

Before anyone pulls a Roger Moore on Chris Kyle, they should pause a minute to understand who they are aligning themselves with.  You see, Chris pulled the trigger, but the rest of the service members were there to provide support to him and others like him during our time in the service. When asked, those in the military have quietly said “yes sir” and performed a service which came with no guarantees of survival.  Our countries owe an unpayable debt to veterans … including all the veterans on this forum who have served their chosen country honorably.  They, like Chris Kyle, are not people who thrive on killing, they are simply friends and relatives who love their county and have done what was asked of them in a time of need.

Now, please focus on reviewing the film …

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited January 2015
    Options
    It was a very good movie.   I was surprised how different it was from the book and I'd definitely recommend reading the book.

The movie creates a storyline from ideas presented in the book. It completely fabricated story lines, actually.  I guess they had to so that you had a villain and a plot to keep you focused.  So, while I really liked the movie, I think I'd like it better if I hadn't read the book.  But you should still read it. Chris presents short, easy to digest chapters detailing missions, ideas and nights on patrol.  You get a much better perspective of what he did out there and how he knew when it was time to come home.

Real sad that we lost this America hero and that, as far as I've heard, his old business partners are screwing his wife out of her portion of the business he created.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    @KiterTodd‌ I just ordered the book today. I guess I need to decide if I want to see it first. I can't even remember the last movie I saw in a theater, so it's not likely.
  • BigGreenGator
    BigGreenGator Posts: 346
    edited January 2015
    Options
    As far as a wartime movie I'd say (Sniper) ranks right up there with the best black hawk down was pretty good ... I know when I walked away from Fury I was saying that's the best war movie I've ever seen LOL... Happens s lot with good flicks and you get caught up on the moment :)

Large Big Green Egg / Ceramic Grill 2 Tier grate / Maverick ET-733 / homemade egg station / Amelia Island Fl. "Go Gators"

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    $105 million dollar opening weekend, largest for an R movie or a drama.  It cost $59 million to make.  How's that for recouping your costs quickly?
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    blind99 said:
    $105 million dollar opening weekend, largest for an R movie or a drama.  It cost $59 million to make.  How's that for recouping your costs quickly?
    They did a fabulous job marketing the movie.  Money well spent!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I just got home from seeing it, I thought it was a great story. I did serve in the Army but did not see action. I also disagree that he thrived on killing, what I took away from it was that he thrived on saving his Brothers in Arms. Everyone stayed through the credits and it was very quiet leaving the theatre as well.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @tjcoley, Holy crap! What unit was your dad in? My grandfather was on the Missouri as well. I have a picture of him and a buddy in front of the treaty table on the deck.
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    edited January 2015
    Options

**** JANE FONDA!

Vinilla centered my post. I spelled f u c k out and they stared it. This sucks.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @ravisstrick ... it's ironic, but I just heard on the news that Hanoi Jane loved American Sniper.

• travisstrick
    Options

@ravisstrick ... it's ironic, but I just heard on the news that Hanoi Jane loved American Sniper.

I wouldn't piss in her mouth if her teeth were on fire.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    @Tjcoley‌ awesome storyand great family heritage you have.
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    Yes, awesome story.  Unless you've been in the military, you'll never understand the comradery that takes place naturally.  Neat chance to honor one who came before.

• travisstrick
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Tjcoley said:
    The family on the Wisconsin, and Dad receiving the flag.

Sir, on behalf of the president of the United states, the United States army, and a greatfull nation, please accept this flag as a symbol of our gratitude for your loved ones faithfull and honorable service. (Followed by a sharp salute)
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Thank you @travisstrick You don't know how much this means to me coming from you.  Thank you for your service and thank you for your comments.  It's been an emotional night reliving this.