Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Just smoked some chicken

Options
About 4 hours at 225. Apple wood and a smidge of cherry for color. Haven't tasted yet. How do they look?

Comments

• johnmitchell
    Options
    Awesome..Will be interested what your verdict is... =D>
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    Looks like you hit a home run. Good job.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Looks good to me, I would eat one.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Looks good. I usually don't use a lot of smoke for chicken and cook raised direct so opposite of my norm. Let us know how it tastes. Did you pull at any specific internal temp?
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Humpy_Dumpty
    Options
    It tasted great. Wife and kids snarfed it up. This is only my second time smoking chicken; I've always grilled it hot and fast. But I have to say, this is better. The consistency of the meat is different this way, much more tender. The skin is useless, but that's ok because I just pull the meat apart like I would with a pork shoulder. In terms of smoke, stick with a mild wood like apple or cherry. The stinger woods like hickory can easily overpower poultry. That said, I did throw one small hickory chunk in the firebox, and that was plenty. Cheers!
  • Humpy_Dumpty
    Options
    Oh, I pulled them at about 170 internal, in the breast
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
     How do they look?
    Almost as good as this.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    @SGH Scotty, that is one of MY very favorites! :D
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @SGH - I think that's a tranny, man!
    Options
    @SGH - I think that's a tranny, man!
    If it is, I'm converting. Sorry.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• GoVols
    GoVols Posts: 216
    Options
    What a gal !
    Tim Rickman,Tn.
  • Tinyfish
    Tinyfish Posts: 1,755
    Options
    Did you notice those nice knockers...I mean lockers.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    It tasted great. Wife and kids snarfed it up. This is only my second time smoking chicken; I've always grilled it hot and fast. But I have to say, this is better. The consistency of the meat is different this way, much more tender. The skin is useless, but that's ok because I just pull the meat apart like I would with a pork shoulder. In terms of smoke, stick with a mild wood like apple or cherry. The stinger woods like hickory can easily overpower poultry. That said, I did throw one small hickory chunk in the firebox, and that was plenty. Cheers!
    Au Contraire my good friend.  If you have a toaster oven, just peel the skin off, place in toaster oven at 350 for a few minutes and you will have some delectable crispy chicken skin to snack on, kinda like pork rines but way better tasting than pork rines from the store.

If you aren't into that, then just save the skin along with all of the bones and make your self some good ole homemade chicken stock.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    SGH said:
     How do they look?
    Almost as good as this.

When discussing cooking chicken,
    I'm normally turned off if breasts come into the conversation,
    but in this case,

I could make an exception.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Guys @Mickey is just trying to cook good food and enjoy the company of the forum. Why would you post pics of his wife like that??...... He sent that pic to me in good faith and I forwarded to only @henapple so I know who the leak is.
    :-\"
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    @Chubbs if that was my wife do you think @henapple would only be in Salado once a year ?

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Pretty sure that's a tranny...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Hitman7j
    Options
    Humpy_Dumpty let me as you this? did you use the sittin chicken or did you just throw them straight on the egg like they are?
  • Humpy_Dumpty
    Options
    Threw them straight on. Breast up with legs pointing back. Virtually no prep work, which is alway a plus. I'm doing it again tomorrow with good chickens. Those were the cheapest ones I could find. Didn't want to test on the good stuff!!
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Sometime you should give spatchcock a try. Little more prep, but quick cook, tasty and fun to say!
  • Hitman7j
    Options
    i have only done a whole chicken once and it turned out alright for the most part, i used the sitting chicken put apple juice, orange juice and onions in the base of it, then read on here to stick lemons under the skin to keep the meat a little moist. i wasn't happy with it, now the meat was good had a good flavor but looking for a new way to do it for next time.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    A splayed chicken is on my to do list ... you might also try to cook one that way.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max