Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Salt block shrimp with maple brown sugar planked sweet potatoes

Options
Pretty simple cook tonight. Baked a couple of sweet potatoes in the clock while the salt block warmed up on the egg. Egg to 500 indirect with block on the entire time. When taters were done, skinned them and mashed with butter, brown sugar and maple syrup. Put them on the plank and into the egg for about 25 min. Shrimp went on my improve skewers with lime juice, cilantro and DP Pineapple Head and a dash of red pepper about 2 min per side forma nice sear. Took on a nice salty flavor from the block that complimented the sweet rub. the potatoes were SWEET needed some bourbon or something, but alas all the whiskey in the house is either Canadian blended or scotch.

Thanks for lookin. The photos aren't all that great, but here goes.

imageimage

Comments

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    The shrimp look delicious!!! You guys are gonna force me to buy a salt block.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited December 2014
    Options
    What can I say brother? Fricking awesome!! I know that you know that shrimp is one of my very favorites. That alone merits:  image

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    @Mattman3969‌ I know you're a tuna fan. Seeing your comment made me think that searing tuna steaks might be a good next cook on the block. Get it really hot and just touch it for a few seconds.
  • TigerTony
    TigerTony Posts: 1,078
    Options
    I want some of those shrimp! Your cook looks delicious!
    Where does one buy a salt block? I think I need one.
    "I'm stupidest when I try to be funny" 
    New Orleans

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    @TigerTony‌ you are too kind.

I bought mine at a store call All Sauced Up in Pigeon Forge TN. They have a website, although it is not a very well laid out site. Someone posted a link maybe in the Black Friday deals thread for a different site that had them BOGO at the time. I'm sure the googles would help find one, but shipping may be hoping because of weight. It is definitely a different taste and fun to experiment on.
  • TN2TX
    TN2TX Posts: 298
    Options
    Very creative. I bet those taters were uh-mazing!
    Dallas, TX
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Absolutely love shrimp. Although I do not have a Himalayan salt block I can only imagine the flavor that it brings. Nice job
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    @sgh thank you sir.

@TN2TX‌ I really liked the crust in the taters and the cedar adds another dimension to the flavor.

@NPHuskerFL‌ I love just about anything from the sea. The salt block definitely adds a unique quality to the taste of shrimp and scallops.

thank you all and Merry Christmas
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @sgh thank you sir.

My pleasure brother. You earned it.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Nice. The more I look at this forum, the more I want. Now I think I need a salt block.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    Nice. The more I look at this forum, the more I want. Now I think I need a salt block.

As we say in manufacturing, "a million here, a million there, pretty soon you're talking about real money."

This place spends my money on a clip close to my wife. Well, that's not true, but still...