Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Christmas meal help

Options
Good afternoon everyone!  Happy Friday!!  I am trying to plan out cooking times for my Xmas day meal.  I plan on doing @SGH pork butt burnt ends up to 160, slice, sauce and return to 275 heat.  I plan to do a 14LB spatchcock turkey and a 4 bone (cradle and tied) Prime Dry Aged rib roast.  I'm estimating that the rib roast will take about 4 hours at ~225-250 for internal temp of 120.  According to other posts the turkey will take about 1:40 raised direct at about 375 degrees.  No clue how long the pork burnt ends will take and i am using them as an appetizer. 
What are your thoughts on how to prepare all of this?  I have an XL egg. 
I was thinking of doing the burnt ends ahead of time and vacuum sealing.  I can then throw them in a boiling pot of water to reheat.  I was then thinking of the rib roast and putting that in a warm oven while the turkey cooks. 

Thanks for your opinions!
Chester, MD

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options

Your plan sounds reasonable.  Off the top of my head I can't think of anything better, except to tell you that the rib roast probably won't take the full 4 hours... but it would be appropriate to budget for that. 

So, put the rib roast on 6 hours before serviing time.  Crank up the egg a bit and put the turkey on at 2 hours before serving time. 

I've never done the burnt ends so doing them the way you describe sounds good to me. 

Hopefully others who are more knowledgeable will be along soon. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @DIAD‌
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1621298/#Comment_1621298
    Here is another version of my pork burnt ends.
    Brother yolk posted one of my methods above. While it is a simple and excellent one for sure, here is one that is even better. It's a tad bit more involved, but well worth it my friend. I gladly share it here.
    First you can use either a Boston butt or country style ribs. However, if you use country style ribs be sure that they are cut from the butt and not from the loin. The loin cut country style ribs will dry out so avoid these when making burnt ends. Cook the whole butt or country style ribs to 170 degrees internal. I usually cook to 160 degrees but these are getting injected so take them on up to 170 degrees internal. When the meat reaches 170 internal, remove from the smoker and cube it. I like to cut into 3/4x3/4 cubes but 1x1 will work also. Once cubed, inject each cube with melted Land O Lakes butter. Place the injected cubes into a pan and sprinkle with more rub and continue to cook. I do not cook them to a finish temp. I cook them to the point that I like them so I recommend sampling one every so often. Once they are done to you satisfaction, eat and enjoy. When making this version of pork burnt ends, I like to sprinkle a little Worsterhire or Apple juice on the butt and rub heavily before placing it in the smoker. For rub I simply use salt, pepper and cayenne but you can use anything that you like. Just remember once you cube and inject the meat with melted butter to sprinkle the meat again with rub. If you are going to use a sauce, put it on after the second coat of rub. I like to cook these anywhere form 225-275 degrees. They turn out the very same. I hope that you enjoy these as much as we do. Good luck my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.