Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thanks @SGH - my new pig sticker is COOL!!!

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,908
edited December 2014 in EggHead Forum
About 2 weeks ago Scott had shared a picture of his 10" Vic breaker knife and I decided then and there that was my next "gotta have". Today both the knife and the shealth arrived from two different companies.

Combined there is a stealth-like appearance...

But un-sheathed you can see what a pig sticker I now have and is it razor sharp! Thanks for the idea, Scottie!
Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Now that's a "noiff"!!
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @RRP- My pleasure sir. I hope that you enjoy it as much as I enjoy mine. I have had fantastic luck through the years with the Victorinox breaking knives. And believe me when I say I have broke down tons of meat through the years. The big breakers make it simple. Again, enjoy my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Nice.
    @SGH‌ or @RRP‌, I've heard the term breaker knife on a few threads. What does that mean? I'm not up to par on kniveology. I'm actually a knife dummy.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SGH
    Options
    @RRP‌
    Here is the 14" along side of the 10". You might as well get it to my friend ;)

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    Nice.
    @SGH‌ or @RRP‌, I've heard the term breaker knife on a few threads. What does that mean? I'm not up to par on kniveology. I'm actually a knife dummy.
    The term "breaking knife" means just that. It is built and suited to breaking down carcass into splits, splits into primals, and primals into subprimals. They are geared toward large and heavy meat cutting tasks my friend. Hope this helps my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    SGH said:
    stemc33 said:
    Nice.
    The term "breaking knife" means just that. It is built and suited to breaking down carcass into splits, splits into primals, and primals into subprimals. They are geared toward large and heavy meat cutting tasks my friend. Hope this helps my friend.
    So you're saying it's good for trimming the tails off shrimp? ;)

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    SGH said:
    stemc33 said:
    Nice.

Thanks @SGH‌, I probably won't be needing one then. At least not on the list of must haves/wants list in the near future.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • SGH
    Options
    DMW said:
    SGH said:
    So you're saying it's good for trimming the tails off shrimp? ;)

Absolutely. Shrimp was the main reason I purchased the 14" ;)

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    Thanks @SGH‌, I probably won't be needing one then. At least not on the list of must haves/wants list in the near future.
    Brother Stem if you do not do a lot of carcass or primal work, you can get by just fine with a large shoulder knife, works just as well for the small stuff.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Here is a shoulder knife.image

Status- Standing by.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    The SImitar is my favorite brisket trimming knife. I still remember the first day I got it….literally all three of us who used the knife cut ourselves. Great knife!!

Cheers, and safe trimmin.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,628
    Options
    C'mon, that's for killin walkers, isn't it?
  • allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    Options
    @RRP what does an outfit like that go for?

@SGH  How do you keep those primal portioning swords sharp?

Cheers-
    Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• SGH
    Options
    allsid said: @SGH  How do you keep those primal portioning swords sharp?

I have a few big 12" whetstones that work pretty good. When they get real bad I use a Baldor blade machine with paper wheels to recut the edge.

Status- Standing by.

• duck_hunter
    Options

allsid said:

Cheers-
    if you avoid the ribs, they stay sharp 
    Barbecue may not be what brings world peace, but it has to be a good place to start -Anthony Bourdain 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,908
    Options
    allsid said:
    @RRP what does an outfit like that go for?

Cheers-
    I shopped the net pretty extensively I found the best price at $56 + S&H from a company in CT. The sheath was another $16 + S&H from a guy in FL. Some sources for the knife like Amazon and others were $20 more! It pays to shop!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SGH
    Options
    @RRP
    Now you just need to buy the rest of the collection my friend ;)
    Hope that you enjoy the knife sir.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @RRP‌
    And thank you for the tip on the Dukes. Look what I finally found today. At Piggly Wiggly nonetheless.

Status- Standing by.

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    @sgh of course you found it at Piggly Wiggly. It's the greatest store on earth.
  • SGH
    Options
    @sgh of course you found it at Piggly Wiggly. It's the greatest store on earth.
    I really like the Piggly Wigglys. They have a far wider selection of rubs and seasonings than most. They even carry Blues Hog sauce and Bad Byrons Butt rub. And now I know they carry the Dukes!!

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Piggly Wiggly was the first grocery store open after Katrina on the west bank.  I can't express how nice it was to buy fresh food (and MEAT!) after eating MRE's and canned crap for a month.