Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Normal?

Options
Lit
Lit Posts: 9,053
I had to pull my rubs out to make room for the new oak ridge that came in. Didn't realize how much I have. Thinking this is pretty normal here? Don't pay attention to the house I am in the middle of gutting the kitchen and redoing the floors on the first floor.

Comments

• Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    Probably but I tend to stick to a couple favorites I have for pork, beef and chicken. I used to have as many as you do.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Had to show this to my wife, I'm not far behind you. I going to have to expand from my small space above the range hood. :)
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    @Lit, do you like the Oak Ridge stuff? I used on my last brisket and that it was just ok. I like my other rubs I have betherapy on brisket. I have been think of doing the same thing by taking all my rubs out to see what I have. I know I have more than I think. You have a nice selection there.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Yep, I'd say you are about normal, and still not in the danger zone. Some have shelves of the stuff, they need an intervention. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Definitely within the normal order of magnitude.  I have to admit that I am trying to condense the dry rub collection as well as smoke woods.  Having more success with the smoke woods although for the past few years I have discouraged anyone from gifting rubs.    The forum does lend itself to "You gotta try this..." and away we go again.  No harm, no foul!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Funny. My wife opened that cabinet last night, shook her head and closed it back.

What kind of floors are you doing?
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Lit
    Options
    @Ladeback69‌ a friend gave me some of the black ops awhile ago and I wasn't a huge fan. I just got the others yesterday and am about to put a half rack of each the dominator and competition pork and then a did another rack of each sprinkled with the death dust so I will update later tonight.

@Jeremiah‌ we haven't picked the tile out yet my first step was taking the carpet out upstairs then moving the laminate from down stairs upstairs. We also removed a wall to open the kitchen up so we can add an island. At this point pretty sure we are gonna heat it and put in the plank tile that looks like wood but not 100% sure yet.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited December 2014
    Options
    That's IT? That's all you got?  =))

I don't have any commercial rubs, but several home brews and LOTS of individual seasonings.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    Looks a little under whelmed to me..... :D

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Lit
    Options
    I'm glad its pretty normal. Any good rubs you see that I'm missing?
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Options
    At first glance  thought that was a lot more than what I had. But after I thought about it, it might be more than what I have. Might be less also.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    @lit only thing I see missing is a shaker I got from cabelas. It's a garlic/parm rub for French fries. Yummmmmmm. Ill take a pic if you want
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited December 2014
    Options
    We aren't normal. In case you are looking for a "normal" comparison, we aren't it.

But, yes, that is similar. :))
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Options
    Competely normal. I have a huge overflow Tupperware tub in the laundry room...
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Nice size. I'm trying to limit my rub collection. I end up with too much and it just gets wasted. The last time I counted I was at 27 or so BBQ sauces. It adds up quick
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    @Lit I'm not far behind you. I tend to mix my own rubs with recipe ideas from this forum and amazingribs.com among others.  ;)
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    I'm probably not that far behind, but I would say 75% are ones I'm not in love with and don't use and should purge, but that's probably true for the rest of the spice cabinet as well.
  • Dawnl
    Dawnl Posts: 252
    Options
    Not normal at all!  Will send you my address so you can get rid of all that stuff.   B-)
    Ottawa Valley, Ontario
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Dawnl said:

Not normal at all!  Will send you my address so you can get rid of all that stuff.   B-)

I like what you did there
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Yep, pretty normal!
    photo DSC_0282_zpsdb10a861.jpg
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Little Steven
    Options
    A little light compared to mine. Three cupboards +

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I've always worried about rubs going flat.  I haven't had much trouble with that, but when I'm looking through my stock, I think about it.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    Options
    Nice collection @lit.

The only commercial rub I purchase anymore is DP Pineapple Head.  The rest get whipped up as needed with individual spices.  
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    A little light compared to mine. Three cupboards +

damn, 3+.
  • Lit
    Options
    @Little Steven‌ 3+ cabinets of commercials rubs or total rubs and spices? If we are counting spices and seasoning salts etc the rubs make up one of the 4 containers I have in the pantry.