Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Im a future Egg Owner....

Options
I am picking my large BGE up next week and I am building my egg table now. I want to have a table to put it in as soon as I get it, I have crazy dogs and Im scared it will get knocked over. I have had them smash some large chimineas and they didnt cost half as much as an egg. What is a good dimension from top of table to top of second shelf where the egg will sit. Thanks in advance and this is the first of many post.
Travis

Comments

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Options
    Welcome aboard and congrats on the new Egg.  I don't have the measurements on my table but I'm sure others will follow with the info that you need.  Enjoy the ride.
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    My large is 15" from table top to shelf top. If you go much deeper than that you hinge will hit. Make sure you have plenty of support and something that can take the heat. You may peruse the table forum here and also take a look at naked whiz site for plans/dimension.

welcome to the craziness. Ask you questions here and you will get some very sound advice.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • tz666
    tz666 Posts: 404
    Options
    this is my plan I have already built all but the lower shelf

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Looks solid. Only thing that I would say is you're not leaving a lot of workspace on the top. If you have other places to sit things like a hot platesetter or griddles/skillets you should be fine. If not, come up with a plan. It sucks to pick up a hot platesetter and not know where you're going with it. Don't ask me how I know.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Nice set up, but @theyolksonyou‌ is correct. I have a XL with side tables and 4' long SS prep table and wish I had more space. I see you are planning on having room for a mini or a MM. Maybe a side table for it would be nice to have. I want to build an L shaped table like @theyolksonyou‌ has. By the way welcome to the Eggdiction.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Tspud1
    Tspud1 Posts: 1,486
    Options
    Keep in mind the dimension of whatever you are going to put under the egg. Many people use a paver. This will raise the egg up from the table top even more. I put a notch in table top to allow the hinge to drop down into the top. Shelf is 17.25" from top and 16" from platform under the egg.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Allow for air under the egg...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @tz666‌ air gap under egg, prep area on tabletop. I like your design but, better to modify now vs later. +1 for small side table for your baby egg.
    My table lost 90% of the prep area when I Sat my MM on it (that lasted 1 day :)) ).

Problem solved.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Looks good.  Welcome to the forum. 

You can definitely scale the bottom framing to 2x4 and make it a bit more svelte.  Unless you just want it that thick for aesthetics.
    edited December 2014
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌ I feel dumb each time I read your posts and have to find out what a word means. 8-} I recognized the word (svelte) but,couldn't remember its definition. See the forum is educational. :-B
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    edited December 2014
    Options
    +1 on what @Tspud1‌ said. I know some people put the shelf at 15" and after they put table nest in or paver they didn't like that their egg sat higher. I think my bottom shelf is 18" from top. It sits nice with the feet under it. Hinge clears. I can re measure for you if you'd like. I think my hole diameter is 22". I can double check that too if you want.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• grege345
    Options

• Tspud1
    Options
    grege345 I have seen a few people showing this griddle in/on a table. Does it have any markings about clearance from a combustible surface? Most gas appliances must pass an ANSI standard to be certified and there is a clearance test. It may not need it if for outdoor use. Just curious
  • forkinhand
    Options
    I am new to this too. Picking up Friday. Hopefully I will come home with the absolute essentials to get things started. My husband doesn't know about this surprise!
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options

Welcome!

You guys have some nice tables that's for sure. 

@grege345 Sweet cooking setup.  Please tell me you have a fire extinguisher handy, with all that wood around all those cookers!  If not I will gladly send you one for Christmas.  (Or Festivus)

Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Tspud1
    Options
    @gre345 Is your table a work in progress? I noticed a sink on far right that doesn't seem to have anything hooked up. Maybe a exterior to be added?
  • grege345
    Options
    @Tspud1‌ @blind99 the griddle is for outdoor use. The top has concrete board to protect from fire. It will be tiled in the spring. Anywhere there is any radiating heat I lined with concrete board. Even on the openings where the bottom of the egg is and even surrounding the griddle. I've been monitoring temps around the egg during all sorts of cooks. All seems good. The sink will be hooked up in the spring. Drain will have to be a French drain but it will have hot and cold water most of the year. It will have to be winterized every winter.

• tz666
    Options
    I am getting a mini max for our camper but i could set it there if I wanted to use both. Egg table is coming along, I did make it a little longer to add some extra work space. I will have a table on the patio also for extra work space and my interior kitchen is just through the back door. I am in the process of priming my table for paint and I am covered in Kilz. That stuff is a pain to get off, I hate painting. Pics "Soon Come"
    Travis

• tz666
    edited December 2014
    Options
    This is it so far, I have primed most of it and added heavy duty castors since this pic. After looking at this pic I realized that my carport is a disaster area. Just finished fencing backyard project, solar panel installation, and painting the house so cleaning carport may have to wait till after hunting season.
    Travis

Birthday is tomorrow and should be getting the Large Egg this week

• tz666
    Options
    Looks solid. Only thing that I would say is you're not leaving a lot of workspace on the top. If you have other places to sit things like a hot platesetter or griddles/skillets you should be fine. If not, come up with a plan. It sucks to pick up a hot platesetter and not know where you're going with it. Don't ask me how I know.

I went with an adjustable rig, so no plate setter and I did add a few more inches in length to the table.

• tz666
    Options
    Looks good.  Welcome to the forum. 

You can definitely scale the bottom framing to 2x4 and make it a bit more svelte.  Unless you just want it that thick for aesthetics.

I used the 2x6 on the bottom for aesthetics and then I used the drops to frame it on rather than buy new 2x4

• tz666
    Options
    Help me out with the need for air flow to the bottom, I thought all I needed was proper airflow to the sliding door at the bottom? Is there a need for air to the underside? I have some leftover hardiplank(cement board) and I was going to use that to sit my egg on to protect the wood. Will this work? I see people sit them on a paver and I didnt want that extra thickness. 
    Travis

• Tspud1
    Options
    Sometimes the heat can build up on the paver or what ever you put under egg and then go into wood shelf. Over time, this can dry wood out making it more susceptible to catching on fire. The air
    space under egg helps keep it cooler. If you raise it with cement board, put something like a couple of washers under each corner to get the air gap. You could use some other material also maybe a 18 x 18 ceramic tile. Keep up the good work.
  • scruffee81
    Options
    you can get your self a table nest, that's what I use in my custom table and it works great!
  • tz666
    Options
    Table primed and awaiting paint. Going to the local Home Labyrinth at lunch to pick up some paint. Going with a color called Spiceberry (kinda brown) to match the granite. Granite is riding in the back seat of my truck till i put it on because its too heavy to move more than once.
    Travis

• Drunkonmeat
    Options
    That looks heavy just sitting there, good luck, I understand granite doesn't bounce!
  • tz666
    Options
    Finished product cooked spatchcock chicken for first cook

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Is the burner LP or electric? If LP where's the tank? Turned out sweet man!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • tz666
    Options
    Natural gas burner and I have an outlet on the house from my old gasser grill so I put it to use
    Thanks
    It's a man sized job putting an egg I. One of these tables