Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: For Thanksgiving - An Okinawan Twist on Sweet Potato Pie

My Nana used to make these amazing sweet potato pies for Thanksgiving.  She would use white sweet potatoes, and the consistency of the pie is much closer to custard or pumpkin pie than anything else you might expect.  After she passed many many years ago, the tradition was picked up by my mother and to some extent my wife of late.

I'm used to making the Thanksgiving turkey on my BGE, and we normally have all of my graduate students and a bunch of family and friends over for dinner at our place.  Obviously we can't do that this year, and we're headed to a family's house here at one of the military bases for Thanksgiving.  So it will be very different this year, but I'm still very thankful.

Okinawa has purple sweet potatoes, called Beni Imo.  They actually make ice cream with it - it's pretty good.  I told my wife I thought it would be cool to make a sweet potato pie using them.  This was not a small request, as we don't have anywhere near our full suite of kitchen utensils here.  For example, my wife had to roll the pie crust with a wine bottle.  Anyway, she was game and here is one of them:

I'm happy to report that I have sampled one of the pies, and it tastes as amazing as it looks! 
"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Awesome! Your wife is a trooper.
  • Pretty damn cool.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    edited November 2014
    Nice! I like the wine bottle rolling pin idea.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • That looks pretty great.  Love to try unique dishes.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Dude! That's an colorful UmpaLumpa pie ;)
    Awesome family tradition you spoke of with your Grandmother, Mother and now wife (hopefully you can continue this for future generations). Love the fly by the seat of your pants ingenuity with your wife and the wine bottle rolling pin. :D
    Fantastic looking pie (I'd eat that without a doubt). Thanks for sharing as always JIC.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    I agree that unique cooks are very interesting....for me just the simple ones are interesting !!!!!

You folks amaze me at the different ideas you come up with....I am so glad to have found this forum and the concept of the Big Green Egg.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Now that's determination :) Love the color of the pie. what did your Japanese friends think of it?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,864
    edited November 2014
    caliking said:
    Now that's determination :) Love the color of the pie. what did your Japanese friends think of it?

We haven't had any Japanese people try it yet, and actually I kind of doubt there will be any at the Thanksgiving dinner we're attending. On the bases here, you might as well be somewhere in the middle of Florida.
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Magnificent. Too cool :-bd
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • very cool! 
    Mamaroneck
  • That is beautiful. Glad the taste lived up to expectations!

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    That purple pie is beyond cool. Even if it would have tasted bad, it would have been worth making for the cool affect a lone. Awesome man =D>

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• I'm bumping this as @SonVolt asked for the recipe for the regular one, which uses white sweet potatoes.  Here it is, courtesy of Mrs JIC:

2 lbs. white sweet potatoes
    1 cup butter, softened
    2 cups sugar
    1 cup half & half
    4 eggs
    1 teaspoon nutmeg
    1 teaspoon cinnamon
    2 teaspoons vanilla

1. Boil potatoes 40-50 minutes. Then run them under cold water to remove the skin.
    2. Mix sweet potatoes with butter. (I think you cut the potatoes in chunks before this step.)
    3. Stir in other ingredients.
    4. Beat on medium with electric mixer until smooth
    5. Pour into piecrust 
    6. Bake at 350 degrees for 55-60 minutes

The wife believes this yields 3 pies.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Thanks for the recipe. I've been wanting to try this, as well.

Does the pie crust have to be blind baked for some time?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Awesome! thank you
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • caliking said:
    Thanks for the recipe. I've been wanting to try this, as well.

Does the pie crust have to be blind baked for some time?
    Unfortunately I don't have any info on the crust.  All I know is that my Nana made them from scratch.  
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887

Having been to Okinawa and having their purple sweet potatoes in just about everything, I can honestly say that I would LOVE to try this pie.  

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• SaltySam said:

Having been to Okinawa and having their purple sweet potatoes in just about everything, I can honestly say that I would LOVE to try this pie.  
    We got to enjoy the ice cream flavored with it.  But yeah this pie was pretty awesome back in the day.