Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Thermopop?

Options
2»

Comments

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    The biggest problem I have with the pen is that mine isn't backlit and it seems i'm alwasy reading it upside down in the dark.I love the pen but I'm looking forward to the the pop too.

And drunk too. 
    =))

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    bud812 said:
    The biggest problem I have with the pen is that mine isn't backlit and it seems i'm alwasy reading it upside down in the dark.I love the pen but I'm looking forward to the the pop too.

And drunk too. 
    =))

Now you understand what I'm dealing with over here.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited November 2014
    Options

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • tickbyte
    Options
    I love mine!! Can't see spending the extra money for the pen. I use it for Homebrewing also.
    Large Egg.   Pflugerville, Texas  I Also brew my own beer
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,914
    Options
    BigWings said:

I must have got a dud, my Thermapen takes more than 5 seconds to settle in.
    Have you returned it? If not, why not? OTOH do you have it set to read in tenths of a degree? If so then yes it jumps around and takes seemingly longer to settle in. You can change to whole degrees. 
  • BigWings
    BigWings Posts: 172
    Options
    RRP said:
    BigWings said:

Have you returned it? If not, why not? OTOH do you have it set to read in tenths of a degree? If so then yes it jumps around and takes seemingly longer to settle in. You can change to whole degrees. 

RRP said:
    BigWings said:

Thanks RRP, I will give it a try before I cook up my T-bone tonight.  

New Brunswick, Canada

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Red Pop

Works fine regardless of cook
    New Albany, Ohio 

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    "
    I thought $25 for a full refurb on my thermapen was a pretty good deal too. They said they would run a full warranty check to make sure it's not covered (I cracked the case somehow so I doubt it) and anything outside the warranty is $25 flat fee to fix. Works for me."

That is a great deal...
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,977
    edited December 2014
    Options
    Just got my newly refurbed Thermapen back from Thermoworks I'm 90% sure it's all brand new. I had cracked the case, the probe had little pits in it and it was shorted out. I know it has a new case and probe and I assume the board is new too since it all looks and functions like new. They didn't have my old flame case so they told me I could pick any case I wanted. Went with apple wood grain and it looks awesome. Frankly, I can't believe they warrantied it and I did not ask them too. I sent it in for service and they did the whole thing for $25. Great company and outstanding service! I got a few thermo pops too and he threw them in the same box so I didn't have to pay shipping or handling. All that is included in the $25 service fee for the pen. I'm sold. Here is my brand new applewood grain pen. (The pops are going in stockings. Surprise)! image
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options
    Getting a pop and can't wait..more christmas swag..

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    AUCE said:

Getting a pop and can't wait..more christmas swag..

It's really nice. The rotating dial is kind of gimicky but is a good feature, and the light is useful.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle