Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chargrilled Oysters. Nola & SGH style.

Options
SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
Nothing better than fresh oysters grilled over a little pecan wood. This is the inaugural cook with the egg back in my table. Man it feels good to not be cooking on the ground!!!!
imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Looking good... Shucking is a pain though... I destroyed about 6 of mine
  • SGH
    Options
    imageimageimageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Austin  Egghead
    Options
    =D> =D> for both of y'all
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Looks great Buddy.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • hapster
    Options
    @SGH‌ @nolaegghead‌
    Seeing that makes me wish I'd gotten 4 dozen instead of 2... I think my little girl would have been up to it LOL

Looks great!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,497
    Options
    I guess I should to try it before commenting on it (and I've bit my tongue on so many previous threads), but,....
    cheese on oysters??  
    :-S

"In the twinkling of an eye, I found myself without an office, without a seat, without a party, and without an appendix."  - Winston Churchill

• SGH
    Options
    hapster said:
    @SGH‌ @nolaegghead‌ Seeing that makes me wish I'd gotten 4 dozen instead of 2... I think my little girl would have been up to it LOL Looks great!

I always buy at least a sack for that very reason. Heck I can eat a sack if my wife don't get onto me for being a glut!!! They are truly one of my all time favorites.

Status- Standing by.

• hapster
    Options
    Botch said:

I guess I should to try it before commenting on it (and I've bit my tongue on so many previous threads), but,....

cheese on oysters??  
    Don't wait... Do it. You'll love them
  • SGH
    Options
    Botch said:
    cheese on oysters??  

Many, many years ago, I thought the same thing. It's one of those things that you just have to try to appreciate. It is beyond awesome!!

Status- Standing by.

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    Those look mighty tasty.....what was the temp and cook time? Only a few min right?
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • SGH
    Options
    Those look mighty tasty.....what was the temp and cook time? Only a few min right?

I cook them with the dome open and the bottom vent wide open. Thus I'm not sure of the actual temp but you can believe that the egg would be approaching and probably exceeding 1,000 degrees with everything wide open. That is why I cook them raised. There is no way to reach down to fire ring level with the egg running wide open. It's so hot that the egg omits a ceramic smell. But as to time, the larger ones take about 4 minutes and the smaller ones take 1-2 minutes with the egg ramped up that hot.

Status- Standing by.

• rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Options
    Looks good.  Do you eat any raw or no?

I like mine with a little lime and fresh cracked pepper...
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • SGH
    Options
    rtt121 said:
    Looks good.  Do you eat any raw or no?

I like mine with a little lime and fresh cracked pepper...

Absolutely my friend. Me and brother Nola knocked down a few raw ones to test them first.

Status- Standing by.

• bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options

@SGH

Nice  cook...the table looks great...I don't leave my egg outside as it snowed here last night

makes me want to go and get some oysters .....probably not fresh here in Wisconsin....

but BelGioioso is about 45 minutes north of me in Denmark Wisc. (outside of Greenbay)

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Wow, I wish DMW was there to enjoy the work of @SGH and @nolaegghead...

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    Options
    DMW said:
    Wow, I wish DMW was there to enjoy the work of @SGH and @nolaegghead...

I wish that you was here as well. I have wanted to meet you for a long time brother W.

Status- Standing by.

• bcsnave
    bcsnave Posts: 1,009
    Options

What brings you over to Aramco?

I remember back in the 1980's it was lucrative money going over there

The Dude..a Mini and a Large Egg..a DigiQ DX (BGE Green)..some Cast Iron...a Thermapen.............and an Ol' Fashion

_____________________________________________________________________________

Glenbeulah, WI

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    Those oysters look fantastic! Gonna have to try that. Guess I'll have order some oysters though.
  • SGH
    Options
    bcsnave said:

What brings you over to Aramco?

I remember back in the 1980's it was lucrative money going over there

Going in the QM group with the sulfidation project that they are implementing.

Status- Standing by.

• Smokinpig
    Options
    That gets my seal of approval. Looks excellent.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• SGH
    Options
    Smokinpig said:
    That gets my seal of approval. Looks excellent.

Thank you brother.

Status- Standing by.

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Love it! Nice work guys
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,675
    Options
    When I get to stop by, PLEASE cook those =D>
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• SGH
    Options
    @Mickey‌
    You can count on it my friend. They are one of my favorites. I could honestly eat them every day.

Status- Standing by.

• anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    Options
    Looks delicious dude, I love grilled oysters, especially the giant ones, not sure of the name, we get them from chinatown in San Francisco every so often.
    :-bd
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • SGH
    Options
    @anton‌
    If you ever find yourself on the gulf coast, give me a shout and I will whip up a couple of sacks of them for us to enjoy my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I picked up the oysters from Restaurant Depot in New Orleans.  35 pound bag $42.  They were nice and salty.  They actually came from San Antonio Bay.
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌
    They were outstanding my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Looks great, Scotty.  I wish I was there.  We'd need another couple sacks.  You have any shells explode?  I almost set my cat on fire cooking the shells too hot once.