Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

slooooow smoked loin bacon

Canugghead
Canugghead Posts: 11,458
edited November 2014 in Pork
Cured a 7-lb boneless loin with Charcuterie basic dry cure (curing salt and dextrose) for 10 days, rinsed and soaked twice about 45 min each time, air dried 2 days in fridge (1 day extra due to poor scheduling).  Smoked with mix of apricot twigs, pecan chips and sugar maple pellets for 4 hours @180 and 2 hours @200 till IT 150, next time I'll just go 200 all the way.  Tastes good cold or fried, lots of bacon for next little while!  Nice complex smoke and the saltiness is just right since we're not big salt fans.

underside fat cap:

canuckland

Comments

• Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited November 2014

Damn.

=D>

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• Dawnl
    Dawnl Posts: 252
    That is some pretty fine lookin bacon!  I'm just about to cook some of my batch up to make a fritata.  Did you baste with anything?
    Ottawa Valley, Ontario
  • Canugghead
    @Sardonicus - thanks, love your sig line!

@Dawnl - thanks, no I didn't baste, just added more twigs/chips/pallets half way. It took way too long, next time it'll be 200F all the way, should come out moister but not sure about the smoke.
    canuckland
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    that looks great.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Good looking bacon there friend.
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Nice cook looks great . have a pork belly curing now never thought of using a loin gonna have to try that 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    It looks awesome brother. Question if I may. How do you like that slicer?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Gary,

I seem to remember a 3 to 5 day cure for loins?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• rtt121
    rtt121 Posts: 653
    Nice work.  How does the loin bacon compare to the belly bacon?
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
  • Dawnl
    Dawnl Posts: 252
    I cooked mine for 5.5 hrs @200.  Turned out awesome.
    Ottawa Valley, Ontario
  • rtt121 said:
    It's a lot leaner. We are used to what we call back bacon or peameal bacon which is cured and fried. Canadian bacon is cured, smoked and fried.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Canugghead
    @Bigphil - thanks, ya shoulder or loin are easier to find and cheaper, less fat too.
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    @SGH - good eye my friend! it's real fashioned (antique?) hand cranked, made in Germany. I picked it up from a thrift store for few bucks.  The blade is sharp, sturdy and in good shape.  The fence is also quite straight. Two small problems ... the sliding tray is kind of flimsy and the rubber suction cup feet are hardened, need to get a deep clamp to anchor it on the table.  I'm guessing it must be around 50 years old.   Decided to use this for the first time since I just sent the tray of my big heavy electrical slicer to a friend for a small fix since I don't have a tap n die set.
    canuckland
  • bigphil
    bigphil Posts: 1,390
    Thanks @Canugghead gonna have to try it my local butcher gets bellies all the time in fact i just ordered a whole belly at $2.89 a pound the other night for bacon guess i'll be doing that and a loin 
    Large Big Green Egg , XL Big Green Egg . BBQ Guru, Weber Kettle, Weber Q grill for road trips.
  • SGH
    @SGH - good eye my friend! it's real fashioned (antique?) hand cranked, made in Germany. I picked it up from a thrift store for few bucks.  The blade is sharp, sturdy and in good shape.  The fence is also quite straight. Two small problems ... the sliding tray is kind of flimsy and the rubber suction cup feet are hardened, need to get a deep clamp to anchor it on the table.  I'm guessing it must be around 50 years old.   Decided to use this for the first time since I just sent the tray of my big heavy electrical slicer to a friend for a small fix since I don't have a tap n die set.

Brother SGH doesn't miss much. He all seeing and all knowing ;)

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Canugghead
    Gary,

I seem to remember a 3 to 5 day cure for loins?
    I used dry cure, I believe wet cure for Canadian bacon is shorter.  Charcuterie says 7 days to dry cure belly, I figured I'd go ten since the loin is much thicker than belly.  I also judged by the firmness of the meat day by day.
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    edited November 2014
    rtt121 said:
    Thanks. Quite different because it has hardly any fat.  When cold it taste almost like ham, more like bacon after frying. Give it a try, cheaper and healthier too!
    canuckland
  • SGH
    @Canugghead‌- Just kidding above. I am all knowing but not all seeing. Just kidding again. I really like that slicer. I had a hunch as to what it was. I would put it up and preserve it. Might be worth a little something one day. Again great job on the grub.

Status- Standing by.

• Canugghead
    @Dawnl - good to know, thanks.
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    @SGH - I've picked up a few small nostalgic stuff over the years.  
    Incidentally, earlier this week, I gave away the biggest and oldest piece (see photos) to a good friend because I don't have the skills and energy to restore it, got it from CL few years ago for peanuts.  Found out IBM had connection with Dayton scale way back when.

(excuse the mess!)

canuckland
  • SGH
    That is awesome. I would have kept that!! I have a saw from the 1890's I will post a pic of. I like old things from a time gone by.

Status- Standing by.