Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Want to try some bread. Need guidance.

I know TFJ made some good looking artisan bread one time. I'd like to hear about y'all's fav recipe. I've made just about everything on the egg except bread. I'll be doing this for turkey day but want to practice ahead of time. Thanks in advance.
Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited November 2014
    My fav is Amish Friendship Bread.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    edited November 2014
    I use a pizza dough ball, shape into a loaf, coat with some olive oil, salt, pepper, and other spices... Cook it for about an hour at 400°.

Turns out great...
  • hapster said:
    I use a pizza dough ball, shape into a load, coat with some olive oil, salt, pepper, and other spices... Cook it for about an hour at 400°. Turns out great...

I'm not trying to point out typos, but "shape into a load" cracks me up. I keep thinking of err...Babe Ruth shaped bread really done...

Now back to being 42, sorry for the regression to my pre-teen yrs...
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    You won't find one easier than this. http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1253483&catid=1

Made a loaf just yesterday. Here's one from earlier...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Do you have any experience baking bread in an oven?

Same thing - I use  an iron loaf pan, indirect legs down, raised iron grill 6 inches above the plate setter, and set it at 350f. for 40 minutes before first check.

I want the top of the loaf to be pretty high up in the dome, but not in direct path of the chimney. 

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971

hapster said:

I use a pizza dough ball, shape into a load, coat with some olive oil, salt, pepper, and other spices... Cook it for about an hour at 400°.

Turns out great...

I'm not trying to point out typos, but "shape into a load" cracks me up. I keep thinking of err...Babe Ruth shaped bread really done...

Now back to being 42, sorry for the regression to my pre-teen yrs...

At least he didnt suggest pinching the loaf!

Beard on bread was my intro to bread baking many years ago.

Great bread baking is an incredible skill, maybe like great brisket!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • You won't find one easier than this. http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=1253483&catid=1

Made a loaf just yesterday. Here's one from earlier...

Perfect. Just what I was looking for.
  • Do you think you could freeze the bags after the initial proof?
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Flour, Water, Salt, Yeast. ...the book TFJ told me about. Great bread. Dutch oven cook. Incredible.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Carolina Q
    Do you think you could freeze the bags after the initial proof?
    I don't know. After a day (or overnight) of sitting there, it's one sloppy, wet bowl of dough. I mix mine in a bowl, not a plastic bag, but whichever. I've never bothered trying to freeze. If you do, you'll just have to wait for it to thaw and come to room temp anyway.

One thing to note, after you add the water, mix it thoroughly. And then mix it some more. If you don't, you'll wind up with clumps of raw flour here and there throughout the boule. Not tasty!

Also, I've found that a large CI DO allows the very wet dough to spread/flatten out too much. If you use a small diameter DO, it helps. A lot. Mine is an 8" diameter DO.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• henapple said:
    Flour, Water, Salt, Yeast. ...the book TFJ told me about. Great bread. Dutch oven cook. Incredible.

Thanks tony. Just ordered it.
  • henapple
    Do the overnight bread and pizza dough if possible. I've used the pizza dough on day 3 and still good.
  • Carolina Q
    edited November 2014
    henapple said:
    Do the overnight bread and pizza dough if possible. I've used the pizza dough on day 3 and still good.
    I think Day 3 is the optimum. Days one or two, it hasn't quite gotten "there" yet. Four or more, it starts to deteriorate. At least with the recipes I've tried.

Except with the bread I mentioned above. That recipe is intended for a 12 hr or so room temp proof.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    edited November 2014
    Todays haul i just use a starter, salt and flour. I did my first wheat loaf using a sourdough starter today so we will see how the taste and texture comes out. Its fun and havent bought a loaf in 3 months or so.
    Both made in a dutch oven 425, 25 mins covered and about 12 more unvcovered. BTW i cook mine in the oven, dont see the need to preheat and burn so much lump on the egg.

Slicer is handy also, older pic.

Seattle, WA
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    I've done a couple Dutch oven camp breads. Crazy easy. I added some rosemary and red onions the second batch and it was really good.

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    I have done a lot of bread in the oven, some on the egg.  Had to slow down as i was gaining weight.  Anyways, I documented one egg cook pretty thoroughly here.  http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1158097/bread-on-the-egg-pic-heavy/p1.

i follow the Artisan Bread in Five method which is no knead.  Once risen, the dough can wait in the fridge for up to 10 days until you are ready for a loaf.  Bake it on a stone, not in a DO like the Flour Water Salt Yeast followers.  For some reason I do not feel comfortable dropping raw dough into a 500 degree pot.  I also use their pizza dough recipe (same thing but replace 1/4 C of water with Olive oil).  I have used it over 5 days with excellent results.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Bread on the Egg is a lot of fun and very rewarding. Not near as difficult as you would think. If you use regular dry active yeast.  Let the dough sit out  on the counter in an oiled bowl covered with a damp dish cloth for about 2 -2 1/2 hours. Then put the dough in one of those cheap plastic food storage boxes (it makes a great proof box) and let it sit in the fridge overnight. next day let it come to room temp and rise again, punch it down, and let it rise once more before you bake it in the egg. 375 for 30 to 45 minutes. Here is an interesting loaf I made this week. Dried fix, pistachio nuts, rosemary and thyme, rustic bread
  • grill4us
    grill4us Posts: 100
    This is a great discussion!  I've gotta try to make some bread - I'm thinking I'll make a beef stew on the egg and when that's done, on goes the dough, then 30 to 45 minutes later, we feast!!
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Beer is liquid bread. I buy it by the case. I hear making this liquid bread at home can be very fulfilling also.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Jalapeño Bacon Cornbread is good. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200

The recipe in @Cookinbob link is great.image

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• What's the white stuff on the crust?
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    It is flour. You dust it right before baking.
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • Carolina Q

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• henapple

What's the white stuff on the crust?

Scarface bread. ..gets you going in the morning