Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Whole pig injection

Options
I have been looking at a few injection recipes for pork to use on an upcoming whole pig smoke in Fayetteville, NC at the Vander whole pig cook-off, next weekend. I normally use my regular apple cider vinegar sauce recipe with a cheap plastic turkey injector on Boston butts. 

Lately, I have been thinking about adding pork stock made with pork bones and veggies to the mix, maybe 1/3 stock to 2/3 vinegar sauce. Has anyone tried this? 

Also, I have been thinking about converting a garden sprayer to a BBQ seasoning injection tool. Which injection tools do you find works well?
Lawrence 

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @HunterGatherer‌
    Unless you are willing to spend the money on a mechanized injector, here is the best one that I have found. Again, short of the very expensive mechanized injectors, this is the manual injector of choice. The BDI:
    imageimageimage

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• HunterGatherer
    Options
    Where do I find one of those injectors? And, what is the product name?
    Lawrence 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    Seriously ....whole Pig ....0 injection.....let the pig speak
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • SGH
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @HunterGatherer‌
    The injector is called a BDI. It can be purchased at killerhogs.com from brother Reed.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    lkapigian said:

Seriously ....whole Pig ....0 injection.....let the pig speak

^^^ This.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SGH
    Options
    For reference I like to inject flats, whole turkey and Teres Minor meat. This is what I use the BDI for.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    I will even inject jowl meat on a very old swine with it.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @HunterGatherer‌
    Don't be hesitant to try injections. They certainly can be useful for some things my friend. Here is a interesting fact that you can look up for reference. Brother Mixon injects almost everything. He has just shy of 2,000 trophies to date. So that alone should dispel some of the taboo about injections. His 1,900+ wins is a record that stands alone and has never been seriously approached by anyone. And probably never will be approached little lone matched. So inject away my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• smokeyw
    smokeyw Posts: 367
    Options
    Be careful! The Vander NC pig cook-off is sanctioned by the North Carolina Pork Council and they have strict rules against injecting anything. You will probably be disqualified if they find out.
  • HunterGatherer
    Options
    Thanks for the tip. I will read up on their rules.
    Lawrence 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    SGH said:
    @HunterGatherer‌ Don't be hesitant to try injections. They certainly can be useful for some things my friend. Here is a interesting fact that you can look up for reference. Brother Mixon injects almost everything. He has just shy of 2,000 trophies to date. So that alone should dispel some of the taboo about injections. His 1,900+ wins is a record that stands alone and has never been seriously approached by anyone. And probably never will be approached little lone matched. So inject away my friend.

I guess I'm going to have to try it a little more..is there anything he won't inject...took me a while to brine as well. But it does work
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I like using apple juice or apple cider with a rub of choice mixes in. My dealer has been sealing these and I've seen them used in competition. They run around $100.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Crimsongator
    Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I saw The Shed use one of those to inject a whole hog. It was impressive how quick it worked