Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Table rebuild.

Options
SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
As of late everyone has been posting some killer looking tables. That has inspired me. I'm not a carpenter at all but I thought why not give it a try. You have all seen how crudy and nasty my table is. Thought I would try to totally refurbish the ole girl. Just finished stripping it down. Will add more pics as she comes together over the next few days.
imageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• Zarcon
    Zarcon Posts: 540
    Options
    Looks good from here
    :-bd
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Looks good scotty, how long have you had that table?

I'm in San Antonio right now.  Met my 1st grandchild today.  Good times.
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌
    First let me say congratulations on the grand child. They are a gift from above my friend. Next this is the same table that I have had for 2 and 1/2 years. I decided to try my hand at refurbishing it. I sanded it down today. Going to put some kind of stain and sealer on it tomorrow if weather permits. Again congratulations on the grand child and enjoy your visit. Let me know when you get home my friend. I'm bringing Unit 7 home this weekend for tuning and final baffling. Want you to come check it out. It's a beast. We will test run it with a whole hog and of course a few sacks of oysters!!

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    Options
    @SGH - I'll be back in NOLA tomorrow.  I'll give you the heads up, ready to make a road trip in the Cayman, maybe I can stop by your crib this weekend.
    Options
    Come on by my brother. The light is always on.

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    I'll have to post a thread on tonight's cook.  I cooked burgers for 15 on an $8 grill.
    Options
    That's my kind of cook my friend. Let's see it!!

Status- Standing by.

• FleurdeLirious
    Options
    That's NOLA on his 50th birthday holding his first grandchild...
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I'm between the great grandmothers....
    Options
    That's one fine looking little fellow you got there!! I'm honored to give the little Guy the:

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌
    And happy big five o my friend!! And many more my brother!!

Status- Standing by.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    An adorable little future conservative republican :D
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • SGH
    Options
    What's that old saying brother Apple? American by birth, southern by the grace of God, Republican by logical choice ;) Tellem brother Apple.

Status- Standing by.

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @SGH
    A little sand paper goes a long way, I did mine this year.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • SGH
    Options
    Brother that turned out awesome! Hope I get similar results brother Whitee.

Status- Standing by.

• Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    Options
    @SGH I am watching. I have a near identical table, mine is need of some love as well.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• SGH
    Options
    @Smokinpig‌
    Brother I hope it turns out. I'm not a carpenter at all. However I did figure out very quick that a vibrating sander is the way to go versus hand sanding. You can trust me on that one for sure. Hand sanding will work you to death!!

Status- Standing by.

• Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    Options
    @SGH I am sure it will fine. A good sand and a stain and it will be like new. I have an orbital sander so that is good news, I will curious as to choice of stain or sealer.  My table is a charcoal dust magnet at the moment.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• SGH
    Options
    @Smokinpig‌
    As to the stain and sealer, I don't know much about any of them. I was hoping someone would make a suggestion. If they don't im going to holler at brother Nola and seek his council on the matter.

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    @SGH any stain that's just a stain (and not a combination stain/finish) will work. You want to finish with a spar urethane. Three coats, lightly hand sand between coats.
    Options
    Any particular brand?^^^^^^^^^

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌
    I was going to use Thompsons water seal as the final coat. Is this a good finish coat or no?

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Thompsons water seal sucks. Go with Helmsman Urethane Spar.
    Options
    Will do brother. Thanks for the heads up on the Thompsons.

Status- Standing by.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    +1 on the helmsman. Light coats, don't glob it on. Wait at least 24, more if possible for sanding in between coats. I would have come down and done it for you. Only cost 3 stuffed chickens.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    I've seen some very fine tables on here recently.... I am not a carpenter nor am I as ambitious as you my friend.... It looks great thus far... The sealer should make it....
  • SGH
    Options
    @henapple‌
    You are killing me brother Apple ;)

@anzyegg‌
    Just though I would give it a shot. What's the worst that could happen ;)

Status- Standing by.

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    If you want the table to not warp you will need to stain and apply poly to both sides of the wood.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.