Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best way to cook an individual/small meal on the Egg without burning through a ton of lump?

Options
2»

Comments

• Sixpack1
    Sixpack1 Posts: 189
    Options
    Thats exactly why I bought my mini. EGGcellent for one or two people. Steaks, burgers, brats you name it the mini will more then cook it. IMO its the work horse of all the Eggs. I use it way more then my LGBE...
    The Gator Nation, Central Florida
    LARGE & MINI  Life is good...
    GO GATORS!!!

• Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    Options
    This conversation would sure be different we're there actually a Minimax in existence! That said the OP is looking to save what .50 cents a cook on his lump costs? .... How is buying a $400 Mini going to be a saver? To overcome the costs of the Mini while feeding it less lump than the medium he already owns is fuzzy math....GAO quality thinking.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Shisssssshhhhh...  That's the story he's telling his wife so he can get a Mini.  :D
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Gogogordy said:
    This conversation would sure be different we're there actually a Minimax in existence! That said the OP is looking to save what .50 cents a cook on his lump costs? .... How is buying a $400 Mini going to be a saver? To overcome the costs of the Mini while feeding it less lump than the medium he already owns is fuzzy math....GAO quality thinking.

But it's sooooooo much more fun.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited October 2014
    Options
    . X_X
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• rayofsmoke
    Options

I found what I think is the perfect solution to this problem at Home Depot or Lowes (I can't remember), it is a square, tapered vegetable wok. It's about 13" X 13"

I think I paid 9 bucks or so for it and pour my lump into it.

I space out 2 bricks and lay on the long sides which raises the wok up a little, this helps make a good hot fire.

It is just right for a few steaks, 4-5 burgers  or any other direct grill item.

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    Gogogordy said:
    .... How is buying a $400 Mini going to be a saver? To overcome the costs of the Mini while feeding it less lump than the medium he already owns is fuzzy math....GAO quality thinking.
    Eggactly.  The Egg customer who is sensitive to lump cost/usage is not the same customer who wants/needs multiple Eggs, especially the pricey Mini-IMO

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    edited October 2014
    Options
    How much lump can you buy for $400?

The Mini is 79 in2 of cooking surface/36 lbs.
    The LBGE is 262 in2 of cooking surface/162 lbs.

I'm not sure which dimension to use to try to make a linear calculation, but can we agree the Mini is about 1/3 of a Large, and 1/4 the weight?

So, is lump consumption impacted more by weight or cooking area or internal volume?

Without getting into volume of an irregular cylinder (calculus) let's just say the Mini burns 1/3 less lump to cook the same two burger small meal. 
    So, if you burn $1 worth of lump in a large, you'll burn $0.66 in a Mini. (More or less)

So, how much do you spend on fuel per year? You can buy a mini to save 33% on fuel, but I suspect the payback (ROI) is going to be years away. 

At $100 in lump per year, (saving $33) it's going to be more than ten years before you get paid back in lump savings. Scale it up or down depending on what you're paying in lump. 

Do you want a mini? Sure you do. I know I do.
    Do you need a mini? I'd have to be burning a ton of lump to make that decision.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Gogogordy said:

But it's sooooooo much more fun.

True. But...that's a different conversation!
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)