Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Alligator feet

Options
Zmokin
Zmokin Posts: 1,938
So I bought a frozen alligator foot because my son wanted it.  I would have bought tail except the Korean grocery store didn't carry alligator tail.
So, anyone on here have a suggestion how I should cook this claw.
Boil it.
Cook it on the Egg.  low & slow, raised direct, 400F indirect?
Recommended seasonings?  but not too spicy!
do I remove the skin/scales before cooking, or after?

Please help!!!!
Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
 and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,912
    Options
    Just did a quick check on Google and there are recipes plus buying hints! BTW I didn't even realize they have family jeweles!
  • Zmokin
    Options
    Yes, I know I can google, in fact did that already, but just a quick peruse.
    Then I thought, maybe I could get some advice from a fellow Egger.  Afterall, there are a few southerners that might have some experience cooking gator.  I've only experienced eating it at restaurants when on business trips to the great state of Texas.  And, unfortunately, I know I was eating tail, not feet.  I would be more comfortable just going it alone with tail meat.

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Can't wait to see the pics of this one. Good father and son project.
    Sorry, can't help you though.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757
    Options

Aligator feet! Hmmm!

It was not too long ago that I discovered the falvors of Oxtail, but now, alligator feet.

I will be watchin this.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    You might email Jupiter Jim if he doesn't reply here. I think he's the gator expert.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Zmokin
    Options
    You might email Jupiter Jim if he doesn't reply here. I think he's the gator expert.
    OK, thanks, I've sent him a message.

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    Never cooked it myself, always see it in chunks deep fried. Yum Waiting to see what you do. Post pics please.
    Jacksonville FL
  • bettysnephew
    Options
    I cannot believe that @SGH Doesn't have a bit of experience with cooking these. It's kind of in his backyard, so to speak.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options
    Zmokin just sent a reply to your email.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Zmokin
    Options
    Zmokin just sent a reply to your email.
    I've checked my inbox, and I don't see any messages from you.

• billybon
    Options
    How large are the feet and are they skinned out?
  • Zmokin
    Options
    I bought one of the smaller ones.  It's a single foot, skin on, 0.9 lbs.
    It is now thawed in the fridge, so it is imperative that I cook it tomorrow.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    RRP said:

Just did a quick check on Google and there are recipes plus buying hints! BTW I didn't even realize they have family jeweles!

They don't =))
    Sorry HuskerMaMa (I know you're alumni but, I couldn't resist).
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • billybon
    Options
    You did not indicated if the foot is skinned. I prefer to skin out the larger feet. In either case, be sure to wash the foot well with vinegar and water. I season with Tony Chachere,s original creole seasoning and sous vide cook for 12 hours at 132F. After the SV cook your options are many. I like to put them in the smoker for a couple of hours or simple saute they in garlic butter.
  • Zmokin
    edited September 2014
    Options
    billybon said:
    You did not indicated if the foot is skinned. I prefer to skin out the larger feet. In either case, be sure to wash the foot well with vinegar and water. I season with Tony Chachere,s original creole seasoning and sous vide cook for 12 hours at 132F. After the SV cook your options are many. I like to put them in the smoker for a couple of hours or simple saute they in garlic butter.
    I did say above, "skin on", and w/o an SV, 12 hours at 132 isn't an option.  But at least now I know to skin them and I guess I'll just go ahead and debone at the same time.  Chop it up and saute in butter with Chachere's and serve with steamed rice cooked in homemade home canned chicken stock, and some pan-fried zucchini.

I don't know if I'm not looking in the right place or what, but I can't find Jupiter Jim's reply to my message I sent him.  There is nothing in my "Inbox" except the message I sent him.

Also, thanks for the recommendation to wash in vinegar and water, should that be a 50/50 mix?

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    edited September 2014
    Options

Never had anything alligator but I would imagine the foot would be tendonous and full of connective tissue like a ham hock.

Best way to do a ham hock is brine/inject and then slow smoke - and then use the thing in something else like a soup or stew braise.

I would think then you could get fall off the ...claw??... meat that would work in whatever.

Best of luck... would like to see pictures

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• Sixpack1
    Options
    @Zmokin I've killed, cleaned and cooked a few gators but never messed with their feet. We usually clean the back strap, jaws, eye lids and tail (toughest part) Please keep us updated and post some pics start to finish. Lots of folks watching this one. Good luck...
    The Gator Nation, Central Florida
    LARGE & MINI  Life is good...
    GO GATORS!!!

• Zmokin
    edited September 2014
    Options
    OK, I found a video done by kamikaze kitchen.  The video was a waste of 8 minutes as they didn't really show squat about the actual preparation, but then there was a link to the chef's recipe.
    Now I'm not going to make the gator corn pancakes that he did, but I did find these 3 lines to be very educational.

1. Put gator feet in a presser cooker and cover with half orange juice and milk
    2. Add spices and cook until tender, about one hour (the meat is done when the meat falls out of the skin)
    3. Pull out the bones and reserve the meat for later
    I think I will forego the OJ & milk & spices and just use water in the pressure cooker.
    but use the pre-cook instead of skinning and de-boning while raw. 
    then for flavor, saute with butter & Chachere's as I said above.

• Sixpack1
    Options
    Brother seems like a lot of work for what will probably be little meat. Interesting cook for sure...
    GO GATORS!!!

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,912
    Options
    Zmokin said:

I don't know if I'm not looking in the right place or what, but I can't find Jupiter Jim's reply to my message I sent him.  There is nothing in my "Inbox" except the message I sent him.

My guess is he received the notification of your email and then replied to it and you will NEVER see it! At least that happens when I try to reply. Instead he will need to sign in here and reply to your message, not an email. or you can try to reach him again and explain you didn't receive the response and then give him your direct email address. HTH
  • Sixpack1
    Options
    @RRP I'd like to see what Jupiter Jim has to say about this cook. I hope he will post his reply. We throw the feet and the carcus back to the gators down here...
    GO GATORS!!!

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    I ate chicken feet at a dim sum place once. I hope, in this case, it doesn't "taste just like chicken." Fun cook though, looking forward to pictures.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Zmokin
    Options
    Sixpack1 said:
    Brother seems like a lot of work for what will probably be little meat. Interesting cook for sure...
    The things we do for our children.  My 12 year old son wants to try some gator. He saw the frozen feet at the local Korean market and wanted to get one.  $7 seems like a bargain compared to flying out to Fort Worth TX which is the only place I have been where gator was on the menu.

• Zmokin
    edited September 2014
    Options
    RRP said:
    Zmokin said:

My guess is he received the notification of your email and then replied to it and you will NEVER see it! At least that happens when I try to reply. Instead he will need to sign in here and reply to your message, not an email. or you can try to reach him again and explain you didn't receive the response and then give him your direct email address. HTH
    Thanks, while it doesn't do much to help at this point, I at least now understand that private messaging on this forum isn't going to be productive.  the pressure cooker is rattling while I type at the moment, so I'm going with the path I've chosen regardless of what Jupiter Jim's advice may have been.  If he wants to re-post his reply here, I would still like to read what he had to say.
    Depending upon how my cook turns out, I may be up for trying other methods, although I would prefer to find a local source for tail meat if possible, but my expectations are I would have to special order it.

• FlyingTivo
    Options
    Ive had Iguana and its usually cooked direct on the grill, when its charred that makes the skin fall off and you just eat the meat! Feet and tail are the best!

Felipe
    Men, easier fed than understood!!
  • Zmokin
    Options
    OK, I doubt I will have a final picture tonight.  There was a lot of gelatinous fat, some meat, lots of skin & bone and cartilage.  I'm guessing the Koreans may make a soup with this, toss it in and boil for a long time, then strain out the solids, discarding them and keeping the liquid, then quickly add vegetables and noodles and serve.  In the separated photo, you can see the little pile of dark meat and the rest of the stuff.  I did the vinegar and water wash, but after reading about that, it was likely unnecessary for me.  I read that is recommended for washing fruit and stuff to cut down on the chances of getting salmonella.  So for the man with the SV at 132, that I can see is a critical step, but an hour at 15 lbs in the pressure cooker, there won't be any salmonella surviving.

In the package

Just out of the pressure cooker

separated into little piles, there still is a fair amount of gelatin still clinging to the skin

• Zmokin
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Verdict is in, my son thought it tasted kinda like chicken but not as good.  He tried some with no seasoning, and then some sauteed in garlic butter, and then he felt it needed more flavor and proceeded to grab the Chachere's.

I think I'll stick with buying chicken.  Glad I stocked up on the drumsticks on sale for 69 cents a pound when I bought the single gator foot.

I also bought 2 small turkey drumsticks at the same time, those are curing and will be smoked on the BGE this Friday.  That, I know how to do.

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Cool! I've got a pretty strong stomach and I thought that foot looked pretty gross. That's awesome that your son followed through and ate it!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    Yeah Im thinkin there must be some spiritual power they find in that cause it doesnt look too appetizing. Ive had deep fried tail and rattle snake and its great.
    Jacksonville FL
  • Zmokin
    Options
    I've had alligator tail meat in restaurants a couple of times and I will say that the difference between alligator tail and alligator foot is about 5X the difference between chicken breast meat and chicken thigh meat, but while I think thigh meat is 10X better than breast, I think tail is far more appetizing than foot.