Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt Confusion

Options
I am cooking my first pork butt tonight and into tomorrow. I when by the store and grab a 7.24 lbs shoulder. Got it home and started put the rub on it and realized it didn't look like a normal shoulder. Let me know what you think it is or of it is actually a butt.

Comments

• Smokinpig
    Options
    Is it one piece? Is it boneless?

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• wannabeegger
    Options
    Yes it's one piece and has a bone in the top left corner of that picture.
  • Smokinpig
    Options
    Was it labeled shoulder? If it is just a butt they cut it poorly. If it was labeled shoulder it could have parts of the picnic meat attached but at 7 pounds that would surprise me. Hard to say from the pic.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    edited September 2014
    Options
    I think it is just cut really poorly.  It looks like the bone in the upper left has very little meat below it, is that correct?  It almost looks like they tried to debone it, but ended up just slicing beneath the bone and butterflying it.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• johnkitchens
    Options
    It is kind of odd looking. Maybe a new guy cut that one. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    With the rub on it, its harder to tell. I don't know of any common cuts that have as many small muscles and veins of fat & connective tissue. Not a part of a ham or picnic that I can recognize.

As above, seems like an oddly cut piece of shoulder.

The cooking time depends in part on the volume of the meat. As you show it laid out, it may cook faster than average, and the thinnest portion might dry before the thicker is tender.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Ya deaf looks butterflied. You'll have to keep an eye on it near the end. I also believe its going to cook faster. May wanna turbo that one. It's pretty hard to screw up. Let us know how it goes
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    My old eyes ain't what they use to be but it looks like a poorly butterflied butt with part of the anterior deltoid ligament still attached. (Poor trimming). I could be off by miles though.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options

If it is one piece of meat, get some butcher twine, fold it up and tie it into a cube if you can.

If it is a shoulder or butt it will cook the same. You could trim the flap off if you like.

I have had to do this with a few bone out butts in the past.

So put it on, and pop a top. I will be fine.

Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Maybe they were trying to make it look like a butt?
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Pork Butt Confusion... Wasn't that a song by the Temptations back in the 70's? ..... And the Butt goes on!
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • wannabeegger
    Options
    I had planned on a 14 hour cook, how long do you think now. I am serving at 4 pm tomorrow.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    What temp are you smoking it at? If around 250 I would guessentially about 1.5 hours per pound. Remember pork can take a little more heat and you can up it to 275 or 300 if you need toward the end. I've done 2 9 pounders at 350 to 400 in 6 hours. If you want more smoke flavor go low and slow.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    Options
    If it's pork it will be good
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Smokinpig
    Options
    How did it turn out?

LBGE Atlanta, GA