Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My idiot son.

Options

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    The TP post is gone. I created this one for nothing. My apologies. It was good while it lasted.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• johnkitchens
    Options
    You woke the mods up @SGH

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • SGH
    Options
    @johnkitchens‌
    I think you are correct brother kitchens.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    I wonder what made that thread went away? It was either the pics of guns or the "R" word.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    Probably the "R" word, those threads don't last long here.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • SGH
    Options
    We may never know for sure. But in hind sight it was probably a combination of things.

Status- Standing by.

• grege345
    Options
    Probably your profanity @SGH

• SGH
    Options
    I did not use any profanity.

Status- Standing by.

• grege345
    Options
    I kid I kid ;)

• SGH
    Options
    You had me worried for a minute!!

Status- Standing by.

• GATraveller
    Options
    That's funny stuff.  

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Maybe I shouldn't have discussed my wicked dump I took at work and the pitiful government toilet paper there.
    Flint, Michigan
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I am sure that was it Fred, they probably smelled it down here.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • GATraveller
    Options
    Smelled like coffee and cigarettes...... :-&

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options

The root cause was likely the fact that you were choosing avatars that contained accentuated(photoshopped) stereotypes of black people(wide noses, big lips, afros). This is most evident, not only due to your TP thread being gone, but due to the fact that most of the images you had chosen for avatars are now deleted from your timeline with the exception of Phil Spector.

I can understand that you were looking for afro pics but many of the pictures you chose can easily be considered inflammatory and racist due to the fact that they hearken back to black-face  minstrelsy. I'm not even talking about the one you ultimately chose. 

I don't think it had anything to do with your "idiot" son. Mods probably deleted it before it devolved into something worse. Remember what Ktim said? Look where he is now. I am not saying you deserve this, only that my money is on that for being the reason the mods removed the thread.
    The wisdom is strong with this one.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • GATraveller
    Options
    And THERE it is.  People need to lighten up and learn to laugh at themselves a bit more.

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • johnkitchens
    Options
    I have a feeling this thread will also get "flushed". 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited September 2014
    Options
    The root cause was likely the fact that you were choosing avatars that contained accentuated(photoshopped) stereotypes of black people(wide noses, big lips, afros). This is most evident, not only due to your TP thread being gone, but due to the fact that most of the images you had chosen for avatars are now deleted from your timeline with the exception of Phil Spector.

I can understand that you were looking for afro pics but many of the pictures you chose can easily be considered inflammatory and racist due to the fact that they hearken back to black-face  minstrelsy. I'm not even talking about the one you ultimately chose. 

I don't think it had anything to do with your "idiot" son. Mods probably deleted it before it devolved into something worse. Remember what Ktim said? Look where he is now. I am not saying you deserve this, only that my money is on that for being the reason the mods removed the thread.
    Incredibly well said man.     =D> I didn't notice they scratched the avatars. I guess the mods are uptight and need to lighten up too huh? 

Some people can do no wrong in the eyes of the masses.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • apfroggy0408
    Options
    in before this one gets deleted!!
    A zen powerlifter with a medium BGE.

• Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited September 2014
    Options
    And THERE it is.  People need to lighten up and learn to laugh at themselves a bit more.

While your statement is certainly true, it should not serve as amnesty for posters of gauche presentations that some choose to label "humor".

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• GATraveller
    Options

While your statement is certainly true, it should not serve as amnesty for posters of gauche presentations that some choose to label "humor".

Agreed.  But this world has become a place where everyone walks around on egg shells trying not to "offend" anyone.  We are who we are....good, bad and ugly.  We should laugh and celebrate these differences and stop getting upset when pointed out IMO.  Guess that's why I absolutely love the old Friar Club Roasts.

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    My two cents, or so.

PM is a wonderful tool.  If you feel compelled to give feedback to someone that is annoying, offensive, whatever, please use PM.  I would hope that anyone getting a PM from another member would try to read it in the way it was intended. Several great examples of critical posts lately that have a significant kernel of truth in them, but they were poorly delivered in a public way and quickly became a source of ongoing conflict - in BOTH directions - so the message was lost. 

When it's public, people get defensive, counter attack, everyone chooses sides, blah, blah, blah.  It's just crap.  I think most people that end up posting just want this to continue to be relatively free and open.  On more than one occasion it's occurred to me that this is kind of a FB without the 'friending' limitations.  That's good, but it also means that I can't unfriend that loon that checks in everywhere and posts constantly about their amazing, soon-to-be Nobel prize winning, mouth-breather kids.  I love the opinions, love the cooking, sharing the good news, the bad/sad news, all of it, except for the petty conflict.  If you're going to call someone out, think about a PM. If you get called out, don't dedicate all of your energy to 'repairing your honor' or whatever.  Just give this some honest thought, adjust if you can or feel you should, and keep moving.  Keeping it alive and continuing to pile on and keep this visible is easily as bad as the initial insult.

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Whoa! A thread about toilet paper is a hanging curveball over the plate demanding comedic home runs. And this apology thread from SGH over his son's tomfoolery was great fun. How did we get here?
    Flint, Michigan
  • apfroggy0408
    Options
    You guys need to get around the internet more often lol.

Check out 4chan, reddit, and other actually popular forums and you'll realize how much of a joke talking about things as insignificant as an avatar and how offensive it could be construed is.

lawdz almighty
    A zen powerlifter with a medium BGE.

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    I wish I could have seen the original post. this thread is lost on me not seeing the original.
  • Rabidgoose
    Options
    This forum could certainly benefit from an "ignore" feature.  Popular opiinion on a forum is often not enough.....
    LG BGE...PSWOOII-CI...PLATESETTER...THERMAPEN...MAVERICK-ET-733

Thumb MI
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options

You guys need to get around the internet more often lol.

Check out 4chan, reddit, and other actually popular forums and you'll realize how much of a joke talking about things as insignificant as an avatar and how offensive it could be construed is.

lawdz almighty

As an IT professional, I'm well aware of all the entertaining sites out there and visit them often. I'm not going to drop the "this is a family forum" **** line, but I will say that due to the lack of active mods, there is a lot of self policing on this board. While this wasn't truly one of these, there is no place on this forum for politics, religion or racism. We've seen them all and they usually get squashed very quickly. The TP post was on pace to escalate to the latter. Next thing you know, someone pulls a Ktim.

What we had here was a member not doing a great job of explaining his position and responded emotionally. At the end of the day, member and moderation responses showed that his stance wasn't too far off.

Perhaps everyone else isn't the one that needs to lighten up.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    this whole thread is going to get me introuble, my neighborhood is white mutt, chinese, black, and french canadian. the only one we dont drink with is the canadian.
    :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • EGGjlmh
    EGGjlmh Posts: 816
    Options

Ok,

I am fairly new here but I did see the TP thread last night. But.....whats with Ktim?

Or....should I simply not go there?

1MBGE 2006, 1LBGE 2010, 1 Mini Max, Fathers Day 2015