Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini-Mad-Max-Turkey on My MBGE

Options
Skiddymarker
Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
Cleaning out the freezer and found a 5.5Kg (12 pound) turkey I bought on sale last Easter. Realized it had been some time since we did a Mad Max Turkey. This is about as large as the MBGE will take, Used 1" foil balls to raise a 12" pizza pan off the setter, then the roasting pan on the pizza pan. Turkey raised off the roaster with a cooling rack. A drizzle of water can be added to the pizza pan if needed. Two small pieces of apple for smoke, using a very neutral Maple Leaf lump. 
Started the broth at 9:00 AM; Turkey went on the egg at 1:00PM, off at 5:00PM, served at 5:30 and gone at 5:45PM.  
As the turkey was small, scaled Mad Max's recipe by 50%. No plated pics as the grandkids and SWMBO were getting impatient - worth waiting for as SWMBO said it was the best turkey I've ever done on the egg. I'll take that approval any day. 
Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Very nice bird my friend. I have one about the same size I need to take out of the freezer from Xmas.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    That looks delicious! I've been thinking of doing one again for Thanksgiving. How did the gravy turn out?
    Flint, Michigan
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Great looking turkey.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    @Fred19Flintstone - gravy was excellent, still 2 cups in the fridge and at least 4 cups of the giblet broth that we will freeze. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    Nice looking cook Skiddy!! The turkey looks delicious.I agree Maple leaf is very neutral and much less smoky than RO imho. I'm Guessing there was no dressing??? Us Newfies love our dressing and gravy!!

Jamie.
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Awesome looking thanksgiving in August!  Now I'm craving a turkey sandwich. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Skiddymarker
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Awesome looking thanksgiving in August!  Now I'm craving a turkey sandwich. 
    Thanks. Exactly what I'm having for dinner tonight - turkey club, no egg - just the toaster!
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    @CANMAN1976 - SWMBO did some dressing in a loaf pan in the white clock in the kitchen, she likes her gravy and dressing. 
    Mad Max technique stuffs the bird with apple, onion, celery, carrot, garlic and some herbs - no room for dressing! It was a nice change from chicken and not a whole lot bigger.
  • smokesniffer
    smokesniffer Posts: 2,016
    Options
    @Skiidymarker. Nicely done. Like the idea that there was lots of gravy. Love, Love, Love,gravy,
    Bookmarked this. Thanks.
    Large, small, and a mini
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    @Skiidymarker. Nicely done. Like the idea that there was lots of gravy. Love, Love, Love,gravy,
    Bookmarked this. Thanks.
    Thanks. Visit the Whiz's site for the full recipe. Given that I used pretty much half a pound of butter, 1/4 pound for the butter paste rub and 1/4 pound for the roux to start the gravy, and most of the flavour comes a pot of giblets, neck and veggies that have been simmering for 8 hours, it is no wonder this is one of the best gravies we've ever had.