Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I couldn't stand it.

Options
2»

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,802
    edited August 2014
    Options
    stemc33 @sgh, did you get a new camera? Pics are coming out great tonight.

Still using the iPhone but my wife is getting me a Leica on the advice of @hapster‌.
    Thanks for the compliments my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Phatchris
    Phatchris Posts: 1,726
    Options
    Damn... Can this Yankee have the potlikker with a lil cornbread :D
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options

SGH said:

@NPHuskerFL‌
    The trick is to add 4 cups of bacon grease and 1 cup of melted lard to them before serving. Outstanding to say the least my friend. Give it a try sometime and see what you think.

Sounds like a whole lot of doctoring up for the palate.
    Fwiw. I buy Glory greens, place in a small aluminum bread pan, place salt pork on top, smoke for a while then cover to melt the salt pork.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • boochsr71
    boochsr71 Posts: 267
    Options
    awesome looking cook!

Booch- from Medina, Ohio

• henapple
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌. ..hit them with some hot sauce
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    You know you have an addiction When........................... you cant leave your egg alone for less the 24 hours BTW great looking cook  hungry now
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • SGH
    Options
    @Phatchris‌
    You sure can my friend. Come on by and eat!!!
    @henapple‌
    Yes sir. The salt pork works very well also.
    @boochsr71‌
    Thank you my friend.
    @cook861‌
    I'm beyond addicted my friend. Especially now that I have the mini!!

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    What do you use on the mini for indirect cooking?
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• henapple
    Options
    I use the woo. ..cast iron meatloaf last night.
  • SGH
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @fence0407‌
    Thus far I have used the cast iron lump grid out of my large BGE for my indirect piece on the mini.
    imageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @fence0407‌
    For true indirect cooking, the 8 1/2 inch stones are a better option. I use the semi direct option above just to speed the cooking but at the same time it makes flare ups much more manageable. I love to experiment my friend. Hey but it works very well for its intended purpose.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @fence0407‌
    Here are the ones that most folks seem to recommend and use on the mini.
    These where recomnend by @Mickey‌.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0000E1FDC?pc_redir=1412302920&robot_redir=1

Status- Standing by.

• fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,237
    Options
    Thanks brother! Do most people not use the plate setter that fits the mini? Should I forgo the plate setter?
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• SGH
    Options
    @fence0407‌
    Being new to the mini myself, I can't say for sure. But I think the plate setter has not been available for very long for the mini. That said, most use a stone for their indirect piece or so it seems from what I have read. Maybe others can offer more on the subject.

Status- Standing by.

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,676
    Options
    Yours works the same as me using the steel plate as indirect. Works real close to all right IMO. image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    That grate is awesome @Mickey
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • SGH
    Options
    Mickey said:
    Yours works the same as me using the steel plate as indirect. Works real close to all right IMO. image

Brother I can't get over how nice that grid is. I don't know if I could bring myself to cook on it. Awesome for sure.

Status- Standing by.

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    @SGH

Here is how I do my collard greens....most eggcellent !!! I usually cook mine for at least a couple hours though !! And....I usually cook 3 bunches of fresh greens and adjust recipe ingredients.!!!!

Kickin Collard Greens

Ingredients 

Original recipe makes 6 servingsChange Servings
     1 tablespoon olive oil
     3 slices bacon
     1 large onion, chopped
     2 cloves garlic, minced
     1 teaspoon salt
     1 teaspoon pepper
     3 cups chicken broth
     1 pinch red pepper flakes
     1 pound fresh collard greens, cut into 2-inch pieces

Directions

Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. 
    Add bacon, and cook until crisp. Remove bacon from pan, crumble and return to the 

pan. 
    Add onion, and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, and cook until just 

fragrant. Add collard greens, and fry until they start to wilt.

Pour in chicken broth, and season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. 

Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 45 minutes, or until greens are tender.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• SGH
    Options
    @dldawes1‌
    Thanks for the recipe. My wife will really appreciate it my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    As much as I have learned from you over the past 10-months....hopefully you will like them as much as I do !!!!

Thanks,

Donnie

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• SGH
    Options
    @dldawes1‌
    You are to kind my friend. I'm sure we will love them. The recipe looks great.

Status- Standing by.