Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Butterflied Cuban Stuffed Pork Chops - Oh My....

Options
2»

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    edited August 2014
    Options
    @Brisket_Fanatic‌ I haven't even attempted to eat/make Rubens since Clays at Frozen Fest. Maybe it's been long enough to forget how good they are in comparison! :))
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    WeberWho? said:

@Foghorn‌ I was thinking the same thing this morning. It should work the same with a pork loin. Probably be cheaper than buying individual chops and doing it. Worth a shot trying anyway!

I flipped every 4 minutes and used my Thermapen to check when done. The chops took around 15 minutes with the egg stabilized at 350. The reason why I flipped every 4 minutes was because I wasn't sure if the mustard glaze was going to burn. Give it a go. You won't be disappointed!

Thanks

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Reuben Pizza

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Hell yeah!!! @SmokeyPitt‌

I'm all over that. That's going to be a must!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • dmack
    dmack Posts: 56
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    I can't even tell you how long I've wanted to do this cook. If I'm not mistaking, this is my third cell phone I've re-saved the recipe to. With all the pork chop cooks lately this recipe was on! The chop that almost got away.... until tonight. I started out with seasoning the chops with Dip Stix - Mary's Favorite rub. (Highly recommend this rub) The pork chops were stuffed with: Muenster cheese, pepperoni slices, ham, sandwich pickle, and coated with a mustard glaze on the outside. These were hands down the best pork chops I've ever ate. I'm super judgmental and a hard critic on myself when cooking but these were just soooooo right. Not trying to sound super conceited or anything but these are a winner! I was planning on only eating half the pork chop but only remembered when I was finishing off the last few bites. Oops my bad. For the sides I grilled up some cheesy pickles. Seasoned the pickles with Oak Ridge Habanero Death Dust. Once plated I drizzled the pickles with bbq sauce. Took some pics along the way.
    Looks great have to try it some time , thanks
    Dmcak.
  • JustSmokeIt
    Options
    @Foghorn‌ I was thinking the same thing this morning. It should work the same with a pork loin. Probably be cheaper than buying individual chops and doing it. Worth a shot trying anyway! I flipped every 4 minutes and used my Thermapen to check when done. The chops took around 15 minutes with the egg stabilized at 350. The reason why I flipped every 4 minutes was because I wasn't sure if the mustard glaze was going to burn. Give it a go. You won't be disappointed!
    Thanks
    Although new to Egg cooking, (been grilling and bbqing for years) and almost always cut my own from a loin roast.

I'll have to try these. They look tasty.

Another good way to stuff them is thick cut and instead of butterflying simply carve/cut a large pocket and put your stuffing in the pocket. using long skewers. Run 2 through a chop so they stand upright then add the next and so on. Keep a little space between each chop as you add them. This helps as you will be standing them on end instead of flat and keeps them from falling over. When ready, cook indirect using a liquid filled steam pan below @ 225-275 with your favorite wood. After first hour (if you think they might dry out) wrap in foil to reduce moisture loss and out comes a very tender chop.

I've never had to worry about moisture loss just keep an eye on internals.

We all know a stuffed loin chop is a real treat for pork lovers.

Almost forgot....lay a slice of thick bacon over the top of each one, or lay 2-3 across and over the edges down the flat side. The rendering fat aids in moisture retention and flavor. 

Better yet stuff a whole loin covered in bacon.....