Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Butterflied Cuban Stuffed Pork Chops - Oh My....

I can't even tell you how long I've wanted to do this cook. If I'm not mistaking, this is my third cell phone I've re-saved the recipe to. With all the pork chop cooks lately this recipe was on!

The chop that almost got away.... until tonight.

I started out with seasoning the chops with Dip Stix - Mary's Favorite rub. (Highly recommend this rub) The pork chops were stuffed with: Muenster cheese, pepperoni slices, ham, sandwich pickle, and coated with a mustard glaze on the outside.

These were hands down the best pork chops I've ever ate. I'm super judgmental and a hard critic on myself when cooking but these were just soooooo right. Not trying to sound super conceited or anything but these are a winner! I was planning on only eating half the pork chop but only remembered when I was finishing off the last few bites. Oops my bad. For the sides I grilled up some cheesy pickles. Seasoned the pickles with Oak Ridge Habanero Death Dust. Once plated I drizzled the pickles with bbq sauce. Took some pics along the way.

Comments

• WeberWhoWeberWho Posts: 6,246
    edited August 2014
    Fat fingers hit submit by accident. Here's the rest of the pictures. A must try if you're looking for a new pork chop recipe!
  • Mattman3969Mattman3969 Posts: 8,010
    Wow!!

-----------------------------------------

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • TTCTTC Posts: 695
    Wow, I'm more impressed by the grilled pickles though. Great cook
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water --  Gallatin, TN
  • cazzycazzy Posts: 9,058
    Hmmmmmmmmmmm...you're telling me that that I would get a cuban sammich where the chop pretends to be the bread??? I'm so freaking down!!! :D

Good cook man!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Yowza! That looks phenomenal. I'm I ceased with Cuban sandwiches already.... this jumped to the top of my to do list.

Is that ham cheese and salami in the center?
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 13,986
    Cubano Fried Chicken's new doble down!
  • PhatchrisPhatchris Posts: 1,645
    Nice looking cook
  • FockerFocker Posts: 8,045
    I'd hit that.  Looks great V
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Photo EggPhoto Egg Posts: 7,817
    That is insane...Imagine how good it would be if you did not use so many vegetables.lol
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • This is happening soon! Nice cook. Thanks for sharing.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • jonnymackjonnymack Posts: 607
    Like a double down from KFC but good.  Wow, very interesting.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• ProserProser Posts: 256
    That combines two of my favorite things

cook temp and time?
    Arlington, TX  1 large, 1 medium, 1 Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone
    @Mattman3969‌ Thanks!
    @TTC‌ Pickles are always a good and easy snack
    @cazzy‌ Much appreciated!
  • FoghornFoghorn Posts: 6,380
    Holy crap!  That's genius.  How long did you cook them and how did you determine they were done.  I'm thinking with a boneless pork loin cut into relatively small pieces, this could be the tailgating food of the year.  Breadless Cuban pork loin sliders.  Is there any reason that wouldn't work?

XL BGE, Klose BYC, ProQ Excel, Weber Kettle, Firepit, Grand Turbo gasser, and a portable Outdoor Gourmet gasser for tailgating

San Antonio, TX

@ChillyWillis‌ Thanks!

Cheese, ham, pepperoni, with a sandwich pickle. It's a great and easy recipe.

http://grillingaddiction.com/cuban-stuffed-pork-chops-with-mustard-glaze/

I doubled the amount of glaze and used a hot mustard along with the dry mustard ingredient
    @Eggcelsior‌ Thanks!
    Thank you! @Phatchris‌
    edited August 2014
    @Focker‌. Thank you, I'm blushing :))
    @Photo Egg‌ I knew I should have wrapped it in bacon! :))
    @Egghead_Daron‌ I highly recommend it. I posted the recipe a few post above.
    @jonnymack‌

I did a road trip with some buddies a few weeks ago and we hit up a KFC buffet along the way. I use to have KFC every so often as a kid but probably have gone 15+ years without stopping in one. So I was excited to get my fix with all the great memories I had attached with it as a kid. Man oh man was I disappointed! Everything was so dried out with little flavoring. I enjoyed the coleslaw but can't say much else. Maybe it was just that location. I'm interested in checking out what this double down is all about!
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 9,838
    That is awesome...and low carb!  I'm off bread for a while so this is high on my list! 

Double down:

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

@Proser‌

I had the egg going at 350 and flipped the chops every 4 minutes or so until done. I wasn't sure if the mustard glaze would burn so I kept turning them. The heat didn't seem to bother the glaze any. Definitely give it a try. I'm tempted to try this recipe again in the smaller bone in chops.
    edited August 2014
    @Foghorn‌ I was thinking the same thing this morning. It should work the same with a pork loin. Probably be cheaper than buying individual chops and doing it. Worth a shot trying anyway!

I flipped every 4 minutes and used my Thermapen to check when done. The chops took around 15 minutes with the egg stabilized at 350. The reason why I flipped every 4 minutes was because I wasn't sure if the mustard glaze was going to burn. Give it a go. You won't be disappointed!
    @SmokeyPitt‌

Thanks for the pic of the double down. My arteries hurt just looking at it!

I definitely recommend giving this a try. It really is good. Great combination of flavors and with no bread! Win-win!
  • Keep cooking stuff like that and not waiting, Dagum That's Awesome. I made homemade cubans awhile ago but I like the breadless one much, much better.

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

@Brisket_Fanatic‌

It only took 3 years to remember. :-O. This cook actually reminded me that I have corned beef in the freezer yet for Ruben sandwiches. Also want to do some ribs with the sauce you gave me. Maybe this weekend.
  • Mmmmmmmmm Rubens!

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe