Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to Pull a Membrane off Baby Back Ribs

Options
blakeas
blakeas Posts: 244
I googled how to do it and found a grainy video and then tried to do it of my baby backs I got from Costco but really wasn't sure if I was getting the membrane or just a layer of gristle?  it kept breaking and it seemed like I was wrecking the baby back ribs.  Any suggestions on how to do it properly and what to look for?

Comments

• TFols
    TFols Posts: 241
    Options
    Baby backs from Costco have the membrane already removed.
    Bloomfield, NJ
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    Get a start with a blunt knife and then take some paper towel and pull it off. I usually start from the tapered side pulling towards the thicker side of the ribs...
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • midwestsmoker
    Options
    Yep, costco ribs already have the membrane removed.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Blunt knife and paper towels. Turbo Ribs and the bend test. imageimageimage
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• jerryb78
    jerryb78 Posts: 215
    Options
    Don't worry if you don't get every little scrap.  You won't notice once they're cooked.
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    Like others said Costco ribs have it removed already.
  • Tim (Watkinsville)
    Options
    I use catfish skinning pliers. Once you get a good grip on the membrane, it pulls off in one clean stroke. It takes me about 15 seconds per rack.

Watkinsville, Ga   XL, Medium
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    It's much easier with room-temperature meat, rather than straight out of the fridge, too.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• blakeas
    blakeas Posts: 244
    Options
    Ahh!  that's why I was having so much trouble with the Costco ribs!  thanks!
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    +1 with what @johnmitchell‌ said. If membrane is present, start it with a butter knife and then grab it with a paper towel and pull. If you search YouTube, you'll find more videos showing how to do it. It's really easy. Sounds like yours may have already been removed.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Not sure if this applies in the States, Swift ribs sold at Costco here in Canada are sans membrane, other brands sold by Costco can have a membrane.
    Also noted the St Louis ribs from Swift have the membrane. I find it is best to leave it on for that cut of rib.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Not sure if this applies in the States, Swift ribs sold at Costco here in Canada are sans membrane, other brands sold by Costco can have a membrane.
    Also noted the St Louis ribs from Swift have the membrane. I find it is best to leave it on for that cut of rib.  
    The only thing I have found by leaving the membrane on is the rub or sauce won't penetrate through it.  Some of the prepackaged ribs have the membrane's removed and some don't.  I always ask the butcher in the store. 
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.