Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Porterhouse Suggestions

Options
squezz
squezz Posts: 56
First steaks (porterhouse) tonight.  Looking for tips on rub, cooking temp/style, temp when done.  I'm looking to make one medium and another well done (for the wife, I know). 

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Thickness please
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• squezz
    Options
    1" thick and 1 lb each
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    Buy the wife a nice hamburger patty and cook it well done!  (hee hee)
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Mickey's coffee rub. Do you have a thermapen?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • squezz
    Options
    I do have a thermapen.  I'll have to take a look at Mickeys Coffee Rub recipe.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options

While most of us are critical of those who want their steaks well-done, I learned by cooking for my father (who likes everything well-done) that if you hit it just right, you can get it slightly brown but still moist and make the recipient as happy with their steak as those get their perfect medium-rare hunk of meat.

The easiest way to do it is get the egg around 500 and flip every couple of minutes until you reach 130F on your steak and 155F on hers.

Others here will recommend an initial or late (reverse) sear with a lower temp for the majority of the cook while still cooking to temperature.  It is a little more work, but gets a more uniform finish in the interior.

If you do the reverse sear, make sure you take the steaks off AT LEAST 15 degrees below your target temp as they will warm up at least that much during the rest and the sear.

Here is a temp guide.

http://www.reluctantgourmet.com/meat-doneness-chart/

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    hot tub for 2 hours, remove from bag, wipe dry and salt, sear one med/rare and the other medium so she thinks she got the overcooked one
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • squezz
    Options
    Overall, the flavor of the steaks turned out well.  I used the Maverick (double checked with thermapen) to pull one steak around 120 and the other around 150.  I got absolutely no sear and was wondering what I did wrong.  After pulling the steaks at their respective temps, I fired up the egg to 650 and threw them back on the grate.  Two minutes on each side and didn't really get the results I was expecting.  Any help is appreciated for future reverse sears.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    What level was you trying to sear at?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Either too far from the fire or or your thermo is off. At 650° you should of had some kind of marks. Did the fire feel hot when you put your hand over it? Here's a screenshot of something posted by the Boy Scouts. Don't know about the accuracy, but it'll give you an idea if you were even close to 650°.

Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming