Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

20 Pork Butts - Lessons Learned

Options
QDude
QDude Posts: 1,052
I had to cook 20 butts this last weekend on my XL for a company picnic.  I found that I could only do about 5 per cook using the CGS adjustable rig.  This was the first time that I had cooked that much pork in one go around.  I used a Pitmaster IQ110 temp controller and my Maverick 732 for monitoring meat temps.  It took about 60 hours to do the four different batches starting last Friday morning.  Many of you may say "I already know these things", but this list may help newbies.  Lessons learned were:

1.  Each butt is different.  Don't take all of them off just because one is ready to pull off.  Each one should come off only when it is ready.
2.  When are they ready?  The temp is only an indicator that the butt may be ready to pull.  The probe test (fork goes in like butter) was pretty accurate but the best indicator was when the bone was pulling away from the meat - not just a little bit but a lot!
3.  Things go wrong at 3 am in the morning.  When I was done with the second batch of butts, I noticed that the drip pan was almost overflowing. (Should have changed out the foil and emptied the fat in between each batch).  I ended up dumping a lot of oil on the patio during the transition.  3 am is not a good time to be trying to clean up a grease spill!
4.  Injecting the butts with apple juice and spices makes a difference in my opinion.  Use the Chris Lilly injection recipe but I recommend cutting back on the amount of salt by 50%.
5.  Peach wood is great for flavor.
6.  Cook times can very greatly between butts.  Some of the 8 pounders were ready in 8 hours and some took almost 13 hours.
7.  If you under-cook the butts, pulling the meat is really difficult.  It is still tasty but takes a lot more time to pull.
8.  Be patient - I am always worried about overcooking meat which causes me to pull it off before it is really ready to go.  When the bone is loose, it is time to pull it off of the egg.
9.  The metal injector is great.  I got it from Amazon and it has the "Butterball" name on it.  I had a plastic one before that lasted less than one year.
10.  Injecting butts is less messy if you don't remove the plastic wrapper.

I hope this helps someone else who may get roped into doing a big cook like this.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

Comments