Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking BB ribs Vertical

Options
mdclark
mdclark Posts: 3
New large BGG. First rib cook this Saturday. Been reading/researching a lot and have several questions. I have 3 slabs of BB ribs already cut in half , will those fit on the large or do/should I put them in my rib rack vertically? if so do I need to rotate the rack or the ribs during the low and slow cook. Secondly it appears to be a mixed bag of either 2-1-1/3-1-1 with foil etc vs 5 hours or so low and slow only. Is this a 50/50 split in this community or does one win out typically? When/ how are ribs sauced at the end of the cook?. Since my racks are cut in half the bend test is out I guess, is the toothpick method my only choice? Does temp signal doneness in rib world? Finally, I purchased a 14 inch metal deep dish pizza pan-drip pan or no drip pan? liquid or dry? Help greatly appreciated from the veterans here.

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Depending on how lazy you are is what dictates how you do it. They all work well.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited July 2014
    Options
    First let me say welcome aboard. As to your question at hand the answer is compound and two fold. There is no right or wrong way. Just a matter of taste and personal preference. That being said let me offer my thoughts if you will. Remember that this is just my preference and my way of doing things. I actually like both turbo and low and slow ribs. But my preference is low and slow if timing is not of concern. I do not foil no matter which method that I use. I feel that I can produce a better end result without the foil. Again this is just my preference. As to your pan. No liquid is needed in the ceramic cookers for ribs. Why? You are more dependent on a "surround" type draft and convection when cooking on the ceramics. Short of primals and very large subprimals a water pan offers near nothing on the ceramics. Again that is just my findings and opinion. As to the ribs being cut in half you certainly can put them in a V rack or lay them right on the grid. Either way will produce the same out come. As to doneness. You can use a toothpick to check for doneness as it works well. Another method is the bone test if you know what you are feeling for. I can describe this in greater detail if the need arises. As to the sauce. I have almost completely stopped using sauce for the most part. But when I do use it I wait until the final 10 minutes of cook time. Why? I don't like my sauce to set "tight" if you will. Again that's just what I like and what works for me. If you have any more questions or concerns please feel free to ask. Myself or someone else will be more than glad to try and answer. Good luck my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Please note that I'm not one off the veterans. But since they didn't respond I thought I would offer what little that I could. I hope it helps.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• mdclark
    mdclark Posts: 3
    Options
    I appreciate it. I meant o post this in one of the big general forums but stuck it in "pork". Any idea how to repost say to Egghead also?
  • SGH
    Options
    I can't help with that. Not so swift on computers. Wish I was.

Status- Standing by.

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    I don't think it really matters. I think most members use the "latest posts" link anyway.

Welcome!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    The post by SGH says it all if you take a look at his cooks. Awesome!!!
  • HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    Options
    @mdclark. Sage advice from @SGH. He may not be veteran in time on this forum (nor am I) but he's a journeyman BBQer and cook. Don't be mis-guided by his self-deprecation. He wears many faces. :-j

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• SGH
    Options
    @anzyegg‌
    Thank you for the kind words brother .

Status- Standing by.

• anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Great to have you back SGH. Missed pics of your cooks my friend.
  • SGH
    Options
    @anzyegg‌
    I got a big one I'm posting Saturday night. 34 pound beef shoulder. Thanks for the warm welcome my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    + 1 on @sgh suggestions. I am not one for foil either. If I have time and want to consume several adult beverages then low and slow it is but if it's for a lunch outing I will go turbo and cook the ribs at 350 indirect with no liquid in the pan. Turbo will take about 1:45 mins and you can generally sauce about 90mins in for baby backs. The toothpick test is a tried and true method so you won't go wrong there by any means. Good luck and give us some pics please.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • SGH
    Options
    @HDumptyEsq‌
    Here is one of them. But it's the one behind the mask that's frightening!image

Status- Standing by.

• HDumptyEsq
    HDumptyEsq Posts: 1,095
    edited July 2014
    Options
    @SGH. "Hello Clarice". Looking forward to beef clod and brains.
    Be well.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• SGH
    Options
    @HDumptyEsq‌
    Thanks. I'm posting the clod either Saturday evening or early Sunday morning.

Status- Standing by.

• tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options

I'm firmly in the turbo camp, but that is not to say that L&S doesn't have any merit.  For folks who are just starting with the egg, turbo is much easier, and assuming that you don't depart too much from the tried and true methods, will produce ribs that will totally exceed your expectations.  I frequently hear "best ribs I've ever had" from my guests.   There is also the time factor - 3 hours from start to finish vs. 6-7.  There is also a choice of what cut of ribs to use.  Baby backs are easier - they are usually trimmed and ready to roll.  Spare ribs (or St. Louis style ribs) usually require some trimming.  There are lots of videos that demonstrate the correct technique.  There is also the membrane to be removed.  If you get the BB ribs at that little meat boutique Costco, the membrane is removed, and they are ready to season and throw on.  Local butcher shops will do that also.

And yes, our friend @SGH knows whereof he speaks.

So have a great time with your ribs - it's a fun cook, and they are easy.  Welcome aboard and enjoy!!

Santa Paula, CA
  • SeahawksEGGHead
    Options
    @SGH - I've done some good ribs on my Large BGE, but you've helped me out as well.  I have 3 racks I was trying to figure out how to configure in my rib rack, but if I can cut them in half without a problem, I think I'll do that.  I'm of the slow and low school myself.  6 hours is well worth the wait for those ribs.
  • SGH
    Options
    @SeahawksEGGHead‌
    Thanks brother. If you set them on the grid vs the v-rack they honestly turn out the same. The only plus to the v-rack in my opinion is it helps to better situate the ribs over the indirect piece being used. Short of this the cooking is the same. Again thanks my friend. Always glad to help when I can.

Status- Standing by.

• SeahawksEGGHead
    Options

what's your opinion, water pan or no?

• SGH
    Options
    No water pan.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    A drip pan yes. A water pan no.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @SeahawksEGGHead‌
    I may owe you an apology. I presumed you were asking me. If that wasn't the case then sorry for cutting in.

Status- Standing by.

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Last time I did BB vertical on a rack turbo they came out over-done on the lower tips that sat close to the plate setter edges.  I would flip them next time.  I also think I will stick with low and slow from now on unless time is a factor.  

I also saw on an America's Test Kitchen email that they have a way of doing BB's by tying two racks together (ribs facing together with butcher twine).  Has anyone ever tried this???  If so, what was the outcome and would you do it again.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SGH
    Options
    @GATraveller‌
    Just curious about your ribs being overdone on one end. Did you run with a grid or grid less with the v-rack? Drip pan or no?

Status- Standing by.

• GATraveller
    Options
    @SGH plate setter legs up, no drip pan - just foiled the PS, raised grid (to felt line) then rack on grid.  Family loved the ribs but I thought they were over cooked.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SGH
    Options
    @GATraveller‌
    I have a 16 inch aluminum pan that I set down in the plate setter with no liquid. This seems to resolve the reflective heat issue from the plate setter for me. Just thought I would mention it as I have had very good luck with this method.imageimage

Status- Standing by.

• GATraveller
    Options
    @SGH that's a great idea.  I'll try and track one of those down.  Thanks for the suggestion.

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SGH
    Options
    @GATraveller‌
    I got mine from Web Restaraunt. They have all sorts of useful things.

Status- Standing by.