Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grate Cleanliness

Options

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @cazzy it was $11 and change. My wife just called me and was like WTH you can get it at WalMart for half that. I canceled the order.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    Another good product that I use to clean is Zep Heavy Duty Oven & Grill Cleaner. It costs $3.99 at Home Depot and works as good as Easy Off.

LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    @cazzy‌
    Did ya notice no thumbnail? You solved my posting problem. Thanks.

Little Rock, AR

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited July 2014
    Options
    DMW said:
    @cazzy it was $11 and change. My wife just called me and was like WTH you can get it at WalMart for half that. I canceled the order.
    Good wife!!  Don't drink and drive...or shop.   :P

@cazzy‌ Did ya notice no thumbnail? You solved my posting problem. Thanks.
    Good stuff man!   NP!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I look at it as seasoning. Nothing worse than putting a piece of chicken on the grill and have it immediately stick. I knock off the the crusty stuff and roll with it. The left over grease on the hot grill works good. Better than any oil straight out of the bottle. Another plus is it makes the food look better.

It's really not much different from people that recycle their bacon grease/fat. I'm not one to recycle bacon fat, but many wouldn't have it any other way when it comes to frying something up.

I personally couldn't imagine using oven cleaner to clean something my food actually touches. To each their own. If you search "grill cleaning with an onion", you might find a better alternative to chemicals.

@Dobie‌ . You mentioned the grill sliding around and hitting the egg. If you got a grill gripper, you can scrub holding the grill in place.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    @stemc33‌ I just picked up the gripper yesterday, very handy tool.
    Jacksonville FL
  • fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    stemc33 said:

I personally couldn't imagine using oven cleaner to clean something my food actually touches. To each their own. If you search "grill cleaning with an onion", you might find a better alternative to chemicals.

Rinsing it with clean water and wiping with a clean cloth removes all traces of the harsh chemicals.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,494
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    It's really not much different from people that recycle their bacon grease/fat. I'm not one to recycle bacon fat, but many wouldn't have it any other way when it comes to frying something up. 

Every other week, when I have my 3-day weekend (5-4-9 schedule) I make a pot of green chile with my stash from Hatch, NM and make huevos rancheros for my breakfasts.  After cooking the bacon I then add about a tablespoon of recycled bacon fat to the frypan, for frying up the corn tortillas.  Better than sex!  
    Probably not the healthiest thing, but I think 60 years of the Good Life is better than 80 years of oat bran.  
    :P

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    I like it black and greasy.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    henapple said:
    I like it black and greasy.

We're still talking about grates right?
    Jacksonville FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    More about The Great Scrape BBQ Grill Grate Scrap…: http://youtu.be/lU87UQo5n3M
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,671
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌ - Not sure if you are being sarcastic. Did you try one of those? My dealer sells them and I almost bought one last week.

Options
    @paqman‌ Nope I'm totally serious.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,494
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I'm gonna get a Big Woodie tonight!  >:)

I noticed, at 1:16 on that video, you can see that, for at least that particular grate, the spacing of the bars isn't very even at all.  However, I know my Egg grates aren't bad and this is an excellent substitution for my wire brush which, as of about 5 hours ago, has been retired (because of this thread).  
    I could whip one of these out from my shop in half an hour or so.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I've got one. The Big Woody works as advertised.
    DTEgg Posts: 93
    Options
    @cazzy- you are a hoot!  I still can't see anything in the pic besides the brunette!
    LBGE
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Botch said:

I'm gonna get a Big Woodie tonight! I could whip one of these out from my shop in half an hour or so.  
    =))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    RRP said:
    That Easy-Off really does the trick - just make sure you wear gloves and spray it outside! BTW I just cleaned this today and I know in this case this was the first cleaning I have done of this one in over 3 years! Did you see my clean up pictures of my SmokeWare cap and what Easy-Off did for it?

@RRP‌ Can you use that to strip a cast iron skillet with a bit of rust (light dusting)
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,899
    Options
    RRP said:
    That Easy-Off really does the trick - just make sure you wear gloves and spray it outside! BTW I just cleaned this today and I know in this case this was the first cleaning I have done of this one in over 3 years! Did you see my clean up pictures of my SmokeWare cap and what Easy-Off did for it?

@RRP‌ Can you use that to strip a cast iron skillet with a bit of rust (light dusting)

I honestly don't have a clue, but the can says "specifically formulated to penetrate tough baked on grease". I do know it works on stainless steel, but is very rough on aluminum and galvanized metal, but not sure what it might do to cast iron which believe it or not is very soft metal! Personally for my cast iron grate I just brush the crud off and cook again! I haven't had a rust problem in years, nor do I go to all the effort mentioned here of oiling it etc.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I clean my cooking grids on both the Large and Mini every two yeas whetheer they need it or not!
    Call me anal, but..................
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    If you get easy off make sure you don't get the odor free or the one for grills. Just get the original one its the strongest. It will burn your skin and your throat. I use it for the grates on the stove never on anything I cook directly on. It leaves a residue that you can't wash off very easily.
  • midwestsmoker
    Options
    I never clean my grates, I let my immune system take care of me
  • RRP
    Options
    Lit said:
    If you get easy off make sure you don't get the odor free or the one for grills. Just get the original one its the strongest. It will burn your skin and your throat. I use it for the grates on the stove never on anything I cook directly on. It leaves a residue that you can't wash off very easily.

Thanks! I have wondered how the odor free formula could ever be as strong as the original and have never even seen the one for grills. As for a residue of the original, once it has done its work there is no odor and I find the worst crud wipes off clean with paper towels. Then I wash my grates using an inverted metal garbage can lid...that lid is shallow and keeps peace in the family as I can clean them without damaging the sink!
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @RRP‌ I've read many threads where you describe teaching folks on the BGE and grid crusties being a turn off. Are these newbie, newbie to grilling period? Just curious.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    What @Tjcoley says - after I pull the food, I make sure the vents are at what would be about 400º to 450º and set the maverick timer for 5 to 15 minutes depending on how much "flavor" is stuck on the grids. Quick brush and then snuff.
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • RRP
    Options
    @RRP‌ I've read many threads where you describe teaching folks on the BGE and grid crusties being a turn off. Are these newbie, newbie to grilling period? Just curious.
    LOL - guess you caught me red handed! Yes I have another class this Thursday night...my 29th one in 8 years actually and that is the reason I cleaned up this particular grate today! The initial food egged on it that night will be a favorite wing recipe and a clean grill works best.  
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Why. That's why I start the fire before I cook.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Mickey said:

Come on man! Show us the scraper tools. I like yours as I don't see em too often on here.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Come on man! Show us the scraper tools. I like yours as I don't see em too often on here.

LawnRanger makes the GridLifters (2 here) with slots to knock off the gunk. If it has gotten over a quarter inch tall I will hit it. imagePhotobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• midwestsmoker
    Options
    fljoemon said:
    Another good product that I use to clean is Zep Heavy Duty Oven & Grill Cleaner. It costs $3.99 at Home Depot and works as good as Easy Off.

Just bought a can of that for the wife, I was wondering how good it was