Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grate Cleanliness

Options
13»

Comments

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    A few years back I read a trick to get the real stubborn stuff... spray the grate with easy off ( ala @rrp), then put it in a black garbage bag, sealed, lay it in the sun for a couple hours.

I've used a lot of that on my gasser before converting from the dark side..

Where do you guys wash this big stuff? That black tar gets everywhere in a hurry. I made a mess of the house once....once. can't really wah it all off in the backyard, that stuff will digest your lawn.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    I soak my oven and grill grates in soapy water and then pressure wash them. Does a good job without the use of a lot of chemicals. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    What happens to the woodies when the groves become deep enough to hit the cross bars? I guess you will have to make 2 strokes instead of one continuous one.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    quick wipe with an oiled napkin if im cooking something white like fish or chicken, or set it next to the egg while removing ash and adding lump and the dog cleans it up for me
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,899
    edited July 2014
    Options
    A few years back I read a trick to get the real stubborn stuff... spray the grate with easy off ( ala @rrp), then put it in a black garbage bag, sealed, lay it in the sun for a couple hours. I've used a lot of that on my gasser before converting from the dark side.. Where do you guys wash this big stuff? That black tar gets everywhere in a hurry. I made a mess of the house once....once. can't really wah it all off in the backyard, that stuff will digest your lawn.
    Spray the Easy-Off outside but then after the fumes have gone away I use an inverted garbage can lid. Its big enough and shallow and once you prove it to SWMBO you can even use it inside over the kitchen sink!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • mitch2264
    mitch2264 Posts: 73
    Options
    Hi all,

New to the forum (first post)--started Egging back in March of 2013.  Interesting thread!  I have the cast iron grate for my LBGE and I usually scrape/brush it after cooking and then again while bringing the Egg up to temp.  With the stainless steel one, same thing.  I did clean it (stainless steel one) the other day with some Zep stuff and a black plastic garbage bag in the sun---worked like a charm.

A trick I learned from a butcher was to spray the meat with Pam just before putting it on the grill--this has worked well for me.
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    Hi @mitch2264 welcome.
    Jacksonville FL
  • morrobayrich
    morrobayrich Posts: 104
    Options
    Are you aware that SS will eventually rust if you use steel wool on it?  Use either SS or brass brush to clean it.
    Morro Bay, CA
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    Are you aware that SS will eventually rust if you use steel wool on it?  Use either SS or brass brush to clean it.

Nope never heard that. What does the steel wool do that a stainless brush doesn't ?
    Jacksonville FL
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,899
    edited July 2014
    Options

Not splitting hairs here, Rich, but like I tried to explain in another thread the ferrous metal gets in the minute pits of the stainless steel and that is what rusts...stainless itself does not. BTW I'm no metallurgist, but I have loved the drink called a Rusty Nail for 46 years! LOL
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • mitch2264
    mitch2264 Posts: 73
    Options