Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cover or No Cover, What Do You Say?

Options
2»

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    edited July 2014
    Options
    I use a cover and not ashamed to admit it! I consider it a protection of my table more than of my eggs themselves!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    Options
    I store my grills in my garage when they are not in use.
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Where do you live? If its anywhere with high humidity (like Houston) then cover=mold. Been there done that. No covers now  for me down here.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    I have BGE vented covers for both my small and large.  Almost never use them.  At first, I tried, but I would never remember to cover after they cooled down, and then I was cooking on them the next day anyway.  3 years in Seattle and 1 year in Texas, no problems at all...
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    Well it looks like if I get one I will wait tell fall to keep snow and ice off my egg. I live in Kansas City and winter's can have a lot of ice and snow and that's about the only thing I would be worried about. I use my Egg at least 3 times and sometimes more so I don't think I need it right now. I'm just trying to decide if I really need it and I think winter time I will. Thanks everyone for the advice.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • canmorenick
    Options
    I used the broil king keg cover, it was a fraction of the price.  I cover mine, why not.  I want this to last a lifetime.
  • RRP
    Options
    Well it looks like if I get one I will wait tell fall to keep snow and ice off my egg. I live in Kansas City and winter's can have a lot of ice and snow and that's about the only thing I would be worried about. I use my Egg at least 3 times and sometimes more so I don't think I need it right now. I'm just trying to decide if I really need it and I think winter time I will. Thanks everyone for the advice.

you might want to do what I do in the winter up here in IL. I remove my fitted BGE cover as shown above and switch to an inexpensive silver 10 x 12 tarp which you can buy at most any big box store like orange or blue or Harbor Freight for under $10. That way when we have ice storms or say some melting and then refreezing the ice can become heavy and awkward, but it slides right off the tarp. If need be due to wind use bungee cords to secure it.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    ive had water enter the ceramic in the winter, freeze and burst the side out of a small, bge sent me a new base
    :D its the only egg ive seen that happen to and ive been on this forum for about 12 years
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    I only use my cover during winter when there is snow or freezing rain. I never use it during summer because of the mold issue.

Options
    My large and my mini are either cooking, cooling down, or covered!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Bottom line - Eggs don't need covers - Eggers on the other hand do not have glazed outer skin - unless you've had enough adult beverage. Wait, that's another reason to keep the egger covered - we do not want snow or rain watering down the perfectly mixed drink. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • RRP
    Options
    Bottom line - Eggs don't need covers - Eggers on the other hand do not have glazed outer skin - unless you've had enough adult beverage. Wait, that's another reason to keep the egger covered - we do not want snow or rain watering down the perfectly mixed drink. 
    LOL - I hear you, but my covering is for the sake of preserving my table not so much the protection the of eggs.
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    My egg goes commando in the 4 seasons of the northeast.
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• RRP
    Options
    Granted - no cover after a night's cook can result in artistic shapes the next morning!
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I cove mine to keep the dust & dirt off when it is not in use.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Skiddymarker
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    That's what leaf blowers are for - bonus is extra grids and setters are not that easy to blow away - and the blower is great for quick starts. I used to kid Nola that the Stihl BGE 61 was based on collaboration with Big Green Egg..... :))
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • BigGreenGator
    Options
    No canvas covers for me ... Build a roof structure over it :)

Large Big Green Egg / Ceramic Grill 2 Tier grate / Maverick ET-733 / homemade egg station / Amelia Island Fl. "Go Gators"

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options

No canvas covers for me ... Build a roof structure over it :)

I would like to, but can't afford it right now and I like seeing the sky when it's not raining.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I use my covers in winter only. Found out about summertime mold and hadn't used unless freezing rain or snow is coming in.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    I have a inexpensive Duck cover on my large at my vacation cottage. It's brown and no one can tell its a kettle grill or a BGE. I use it like a disguise. It also keeps it clean from pollen, dust, leaves, pine needles and tree sap.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    Options
    My cover is gone. Roaches, ants and mold took up residence under the cover during our rainy season in Florida. I now have an umbrella over the egg and table and I am a very happy girl. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    winter freeze damage on my small

first spring cook from my large egg up at camp. looks worse than it is, all that moisture and crud bled out of the ceramic during one cook then by the next weekend the weather washed it clean as new

i still dont cover
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Nope. Save your money for meat and charcoal. And adult beverages.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    That's what leaf blowers are for - bonus is extra grids and setters are not that easy to blow away - and the blower is great for quick starts. I used to kid Nola that the Stihl BGE 61 was based on collaboration with Big Green Egg..... :))
    You can do what you want, but I know and can feel the dirt & dust that settle even if I were to leaf blow it away.  So rather than have to pull out the leaf blower and extension cord and then still need a wet cloth to wipe it clean, I just quickly uncover mine. I know I can't talk you into covering yours and I don't care if you do or not, but please don't imply I'm wrong for covering mine.  I'll take care of my property as I see fit and you take care of yours as you see fit.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• stevesails
    Options
    Uncover
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    My vented BGE cover keeps the moisture out of my Suncast resin outdoor storage unit. Perfect size, and comes down a bit over half way. No more rusted CI in heavy rain. The Egg is fine naked, summer and winter.