Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New Egg Item...I like.

New oversized dome thermometer.image

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    How much bigger is it?
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited July 2014
    @SMITTYtheSMOKER‌
    I like that as well. If I may ask where did you purchase it from?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Who sells that? I just might be needing one very soon.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    Hey... I like this guy! Similar size to the KJ thermo.
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    We have them in stock at our Egg store.  They are 3" / 8cm dial.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    For some reason I can't expand the pic. What is it's temp ranges?

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SMITTYtheSMOKER

150/750F

This is a stock item on the XXL, but sold separately as well.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    How much can I expect to pay?
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    California prices...$79

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I think that's geared toward the retirees that use eggs.. =))
  • bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    BYS1981 said:
    I resemble that remark !!!!!   L-)

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    I want one, but not for $79.00. It would work perfect for me though. I can only guesstimate my thermo from my kitchen window right now. I could probably read the numbers if I had the big one.
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    bud812 said:
    BYS1981 said:
    I resemble that remark !!!!!   L-)
    ...and I can't wait to resemble that remark.  LOL..
    Long Island, NY
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,162
    For those of us with many accumulated laps of the sun- I rotate the dome thermo so my target temp is at the 12 o'clock position.  That way a quick glance and I can tell how close I am to desired.  If you do this, make sure to pull out on the thermo before rotating (if using the clip) so you don't mess with the calibration nut when turning.  Happy Birthday USA!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    @lousubcap‌ This is what I do as well. Learned it from Chris at a Dizzy Pig cooking class. Removed the spring from the back and its free in the dome to spin or remove. Set my desired temp to 12 o'clock and a quick peek from the kitchen door tells me all i need to know.
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    How much bigger than the last change? Any chance of a pic with them togather.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Farbuck
    Farbuck Posts: 276
    @lousubcap Great tip.  I wouldn't have thought of that in a million years

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA
  • Mickey
    Oh, is it made for the Mini or have the longer stem ?
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Is it still a Tel-tru?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Bearlodge
    Bearlodge Posts: 45
    It's nice to be able to look through the window and read the temp when it is freezing outside.
  • BuckeyeBob
    BuckeyeBob Posts: 673
    I just got the same thing when I visited the Mother Ship a couple of weeks back. I needed a new one and decided to pay the higher price to avoid having to squint or grab my glasses. Cost there was less than the West Coast. $69. It is still a Tel-Tru. Would also say that the calibration was dead on when I tested. Here is a pic of old and new side by side so you can see the difference.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

I love mine!
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    That looks like a solid upgrade - what is the difference in the stem length over the standard Tel-Tru??
    Santa Paula, CA
  • lousubcap said:
    For those of us with many accumulated laps of the sun- I rotate the dome thermo so my target temp is at the 12 o'clock position.  That way a quick glance and I can tell how close I am to desired.  If you do this, make sure to pull out on the thermo before rotating (if using the clip) so you don't mess with the calibration nut when turning.  Happy Birthday USA!
    Great minds! I rotate to the 6 o'clock position for at-a-glance reference.

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

• Mickey
    Ok, now I have to have one or three. I could just get one and move it.

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Stem is the same length as the small dial.
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    stemc33 said:

I want one, but not for $79.00. It would work perfect for me though. I can only guesstimate my thermo from my kitchen window right now. I could probably read the numbers if I had the big one.

Telescope
    Dunedin, FL
  • lousubcap said:

Why the heck didn't I think of that sooner????  Great idea!
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,452
    stemc33 said:
    someone on the other forum posted this link, check it out:
    canuckland
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    I bought 4 for the Eggs we cook on here, checked them all before installation and two were 40 degrees off out of the box. I like the visability from afar.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA