Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ultimate Fried Shrimp

Options
2»

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌
    It sure will my friend. I'm right at the corner of hwy 49 and hwy 67. Right behind the liquor store on the corner. You can't miss my place my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Hell, I'm just naturally attracted to liquor stores, say no more, I'll be right over!
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌
    You are more than welcome at my place my friend.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Next time I'm in your neck of the woods I'll let ya know.  :D
    Um yes please and thank you. Those look amazing.
    Steve
    Outside of Appleton, WI - MBGE, LBGE
  • SGH
    Options
    @stevethegreat‌
    Thank you for the kind words my friend.

Here are the crawfish @NPHuskerFL‌ @Mattman3969‌ @nolaegghead‌ @Biggreenpharmacist‌

Thankfully I'm finally done. Fixing to eat and relax for a while.

imageimageimageimageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    :-bd
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    Not going to get any better shrimp than Ga shrimp, Hope you have your insurance paid up with 500 degree grease.
  • SGH
    Options
    @beteez‌
    Peanut oil and emulsified heavy frying oil is perfectly safe at these temps as long as the cook does his part and don't let it run away. I think they are both rated to 550-575 if memory serves me correct. A lot of high end seafood restaurants in the south flash fry seafood on a daily basis with no issues at all. It's just a matter of what a person is comfortable with. You should try it some time. I bet you would really like the end results. There is nothing quite like it for seafood. I didn't know Ga. had shrimp. Thought they were famous for peaches and peanuts. Will have to try them some time.

Status- Standing by.

• NPHuskerFL
    Options
    beteez said:

Not going to get any better shrimp than Ga shrimp, Hope you have your insurance paid up with 500 degree grease.

Why? Because it's unstable? So a pizza cook or sear that gets outta hand at 800℉+ or a clean burn w/ an egg on a wooden deck is not any more unstable?

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited June 2014
    Options
    FWIW I've seen these temps on Pitco fryers and they are Aokay. Most go at 350℉-375℉ only because that's what corporate wants the controller programmed for.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    =D> Fried shrimp? And crawfish in one post? Two of my favorites. I could go for some of either right now. :-bd

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SGH
    Options
    @Griffin‌
    Thank you for the kind words my friend. They are two of my favorites as well.

Status- Standing by.

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,583
    Options
    Absolutely awesome... You are the man...
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • SGH
    Options
    @johnmitchell‌
    Thank you for the kind words my friend. I wish I was the man!!

Status- Standing by.

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Those look great SGH! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Toolycj
    Toolycj Posts: 4
    Options
    Isn't the smoke point of peanut oil in the 400s?
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Options
    Toolycj said:
    Smoke point and flash point are 2 different things.  You can exceed smoke point for oil without degrading it's quality.  

I would not do high temp frying like this on the egg.  Of the oil boils and overflows, the result would be ugly.
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Oh man that picture of your Golden Shrimp on the cooling rack is gorgeous!  I want to try, but I have really never deep fried anything or breaded anything.  Two questions:
    1) can you clarify what you made and did for the step "Then coat with your coating of choice." 
    2) Can I do this in my dutch oven in the house and use my Thermapen to test temp of oil that hot?
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    Cowdogs said:
    Toolycj said:
    Smoke point and flash point are 2 different things.  You can exceed smoke point for oil without degrading it's quality.  

I would not do high temp frying like this on the egg.  Of the oil boils and overflows, the result would be ugly.
    He is doing it on a propane burner which would have the same consequences as the egg, just a little easier to control the flame on Propane, however you do see the videos every year of idiots w/ turkeys, pea nut oil & an open flame. Just would be handy to have a fire extinguisher handy. 
  • jerryb78
    jerryb78 Posts: 215
    Options
    I think that a lot of the people who have fires start out with way too much oil.  Carefully measuring what you need after your food is added should go a long way towards safety.  A lot of geniuses fill their frying vessel to the brim and then drop a 12 lb. turkey into it.  What the hell did they think was going to happen?
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    SGH said:
    @nolaegghead‌ It sure will my friend. I'm right at the corner of hwy 49 and hwy 67. Right behind the liquor store on the corner. You can't miss my place my friend.
    Would only take me about 20 minutes to get there!!  Those are awesome looking shrimp!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    jerryb78 said:
    I think that a lot of the people who have fires start out with way too much oil.  Carefully measuring what you need after your food is added should go a long way towards safety.  A lot of geniuses fill their frying vessel to the brim and then drop a 12 lb. turkey into it.  What the hell did they think was going to happen?
    They also tend to drop a frozen turkey in the hot oil. That also has pretty terrible consequences.
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • SGH
    Options
    @NDG‌
    Here is what I coat them with.
    And yes you can do them indoors in a Dutch oven. No problem at all with doing them indoors and a Dutch oven is great for deep frying!image

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @johnkitchens‌ @Thatgrimguy‌
    I thank y'all for the kind words my friends.

Status- Standing by.

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    Thank you SGH !!!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • SGH
    Options
    @NDG‌
    As far as using your Thermapen for checking cooking oil temp I don't know if it's recommended by the manufacture or not. That being said I do it with no issues.

Status- Standing by.

• Farbuck
    Farbuck Posts: 276
    Options
    I'm going to use the picture of those shrimp as my screen saver.   They are a work of art.

I smell road trip @sgh.  

Where you cooking at?

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA
  • SGH
    Options
    @Farbuck‌
    Thank you for both the kind words and the compliments. I cooked those outside in my yard on my propane burner. They turned out pretty dog gone good. Again thank you my friend.

Status- Standing by.