Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PSA - Wet lump bag => Giant Frickin' Mess

Public Service Announcement:

Some driving rain soaked a 34 pound bag of lump.  I picked it up last night to load up the egg (grilled king salmon) and the bottom fell out.

Don't let your lump bags get wet. 

Comments

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Good advice. Was is usable? And more important, how was the Salmon?
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    @tulocay - yes, I just shoveled it into a plastic lump bin.  The lump was dry, bag had a plastic lining on the inside.

The king salmon was like buttah, delicious buttah.  Cooked direct with some alder and pulled it off at 120F.  First time I've seen King sold around here.
    Where did you get it?
    NOLA
  • nolaegghead
    Costco.  I believe it was $18/lb.
    crappy cell phone pics.  I took a good pic with my man-camera but it's at la casa.
    Looks great @nolaegghead I did some fresh king salmon the other night that was incredible - I went to whole foods expecting to pay about $20/lb, but all they had was $29/lb.  I was going to drive to a local fish market, but threw in the towel.  It was great, although for that it should have come with a new car. 
    Santa Paula, CA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited May 2014
    If the lump does get wet, it'll dry so don't toss it. Not sure how wet this actually got, but I used all of it. A full egg and half full bag. Was gonna cook, loaded up with lump, went inside and decided to use the stove. Forgot I left the egg like that. Next morning...image

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    That's a pure travesty! I can top that one though. Years ago I has hauling mulched documents from our department out to the fantail of the ship (US NAVY) and the bag ripped on the bottom and finely shredded material was all over the back of the ship. When I got off watch that morning I was out there with a fire hose washing all that mulch over the side of the ship. I still get s..t for that one from guys I served with.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• nolaegghead
    @tksmoke - whole foods will bend you over!  Seems like whenever I shop there I walk out with half a bag of groceries and my wallet is $100 lighter.

Carolina Q - What's you process for drying it?  I've never had to deal with wet lump, but my first guess would be put it in the egg with some dry lump on top and light the top.

@TUTTLE871 - I've had worse happen (than the lump) but then again, I didn't have to answer to the chain of command...oh wait, yes I did - SWMBO.
    Carolina Q - What's you process for drying it?  I've never had to deal with wet lump, but my first guess would be put it in the egg with some dry lump on top and light the top.
    Process? No process. I just let it sit around for a while where it could get plenty of air. I just put the egg lump back in the bag with the other stuff. After I scooped all the snow off. 

Like I said, I don't think it got very wet. Too cold for the snow to melt. I was able to remove most of the snow with my hands. Still, the wetter it got, the longer I would have waited. It's just wood, ya know?

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,458
    the Persian rug did a good job of protecting the deck   ;)
    canuckland
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited May 2014
    @nolaegghead‌...I just about had the same scenario occur. After our last storm I found that my cover allows some rain (when heavy and extremely driving) to penetrate into the bottom shelves of my SS table where I place my lump. I let the bags completely dry in the heat of the table and then some more in the sun then placed each bag into its own 3mil construction cleanup bag. I figure that'll keep em dry and from having a similar mess.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • nolaegghead
    The bag was dry, and I moved it about 10 feet when the bottom blew out.  On a carpet.  I yelled "mother f*cker!", and SWMBO came out to see what was up.  Fortunately I have a dedicated ash vac that cleaned up the dust well enough that the carpet looked as good as before.  I learned a couple of lessons.
    The bag was dry, and I moved it about 10 feet when the bottom blew out.  On a carpet.  I yelled "mother f*cker!", and SWMBO came out to see what was up.  Fortunately I have a dedicated ash vac that cleaned up the dust well enough that the carpet looked as good as before.  I learned a couple of lessons.
    I think I'd have a little more words spill out!  Good save!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    Excellent advice.  Wet bags are no fun.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Where is Grave Digger.... Oh Yeah... HERE!!!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM