Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mad Max's Turkey Question ...

Options
pantsypants
pantsypants Posts: 1,191
So I am cooking 2 turkeys today , I would like to do Mad Max turkeys but would like to spatchcock them .
Does anyone have an idea how long it would take ?
also would i need to ice the breasts still ? ?  any thoughts ?

thanks
Toronto

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options

I will provide some input on the spatchcock question as I think that's a different approach then the full-blown Mad Max:

With a LBGE you can easily fit a 16# turkey w/o having to get creative.  I run raised direct at around 350*F and it takes 90-120 mins til about 160+ in the breasts and 180+ in the thighs.  I put legs to the back (known BGE hot spot) and ice the breasts for around 20 mins after the turkey has warmed a bit to get a temperature gradient.  FWIW-

Hopefully @Mickey will be along as he is the king of spatch turkey. 

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • pantsypants
    Options
    great !
    i am thinking that i need to do 2 turkeys ,
    I may butterfly them and use the gridsd in my ar and hopefully get them all on there ....
    Toronto
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,834
    Options
    You might consider "halfcock" on one (or both) to fit it on the grid.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Not really Mad Max if you don't leave the cavity intact, IMHO. If you have to get two on the grid at the same time and you are considering spatchcock, you can simply part them out a little further (leg/thigh/breast/wings). You can leave the breast whole, and have it hit the grid a few minutes after the leg/thigh pieces, negating the icing part. 
    I do this with chickens and can get three on my MBGE. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Spatchcocked Turkey and Chicken on the Big Green Egg (you cut out the backbone and cook opened) I like a 11/12 lb bird. If I need lots of turkey I just cook a couple ( 1 & 1/2 hr cook app) Chicken 3 to 4.5lb bird or birds. Under an hour cook. Or, just add a package of legs extra. I do not brine the turkey or Chicken. If time I like to leave uncovered in the fridge overnight (no problem if no time) I cook "direct" @ 400 on a raised grill "skin side up" and never turn over. I will use a coffee rub. Use what you like. NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND) I use about a single handfull of mixed chips: Cherry & Pecan. Cook to temp (not time) breast @ 160 and thigh @ 180.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Spatchcock about 12.5lb turkey take me about 90 mins
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• pantsypants
    Options
    Awesome Mickey
    Thanks
    Toronto
  • blakeas
    blakeas Posts: 244
    Options

Mickey,

Do you inject at all with your spatch method?

• Wylecyot
    Wylecyot Posts: 203
    Options
    I have used Mickey's spatchcock technique many times.  I usually inject the bird a few hours before (butter, wine and herbs) and let the everything settle before cooking.
    Large BGE, Medium BGE, Kamado Joe Jr, 36" Blackstone Griddle Blackstone Tailgater and Roccbox owner/operator from Los Angeles
  • homebrewtim
    Options
    On a Large BGE with AR, what size turkeys can I expect to fit if I am planning two that are spatchcocked?