Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What changed with Royal Oak ?

Options
Seems lately the pieces are nicely sized with several big pieces And not many chips or dust . However it has became much smokier than it used to be ? Anyone know why ?

Comments

• GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    Options
    My last several bags have been Royal Oak, and I was thinking about how quick it cleaned out.  I actually cooked biscuits the other day on the Egg, and you couldn't taste any smoke at all.  
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    RO is just way too smokey for me. I'm actually thinking of giving away the rest of my bag.
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Personally I have seen no difference over the years, but if you are buying it one bag at a time there are multiple reasons for multiple differences! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    I have not had any smokey royal oak, actually it has been better like @greenhawK said.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • fairchase
    fairchase Posts: 312
    Options
    I stocked up with 10 of the 17.6 lb bags during the Walmart sale. My storage building now smells like the remains of a forest fire. I have never witnessed this with stored lump before .
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    fairchase said:
    I stocked up with 10 of the 17.6 lb bags during the Walmart sale. My storage building now smells like the remains of a forest fire. I have never witnessed this with stored lump before .

LOL - I have over 700 pounds stored in my garage and the air out there smells pure...even after the occasional spills of gasoline when filling my equipment. As a kid In the 50's I remember my Mother keeping a chunk of charcoal in the refrigerator to "soak up odors"!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    I bought several bags recently and have not seen any change.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    Options
    I've caught a few fairly sizable rocks masquerading as charcoal in my recent bags.  That's sort of bugged me.  Otherwise, no complaints.
    Southern California
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Last fall grabbed two 8Kg bags of RO for <$10 each at the HD in Bellingham. Over the past few week have used them both. They were packaged the same but must have come from two different planets. One was full of non-carbonized pieces, smoked too long and sparked like crazy. The other bag was fantastic. One of the most neutral bags of lump I've used. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • ericp
    ericp Posts: 152
    Options
    I live in Cali and Royal Oak is half bag good size pieces and the other half about falls thru the grate. It is the one I buy because i refuse to pay 30 dollars for the Green Egg version and the local stores only sell Cowboy which I have read alot of bad reviews. It doesnt have any smell and the burn time is satisfactory. My Walmart stopped carrying it. I pay 15.00 for a 20lb bag here 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    edited April 2014
    Options
    I have seen RO in the Home Depots as well for $12 for a 17# bag.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • GreenhawK
    GreenhawK Posts: 398
    Options
    I am starting to wonder if different lumps handle the climate in particular areas better than others.  I have good luck with lump that a lot of people on here don't seem to like very much.  Which by the way are made close to where I am.  On the other had, I have not had good luck with some brands that most of the people on here rave about.  Those are mostly ones that have come from far off.  

Large BGE Decatur, AL
  • SenecaTheYounger
    SenecaTheYounger Posts: 368
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Charcoal is an organic product, which is sourced from multiple stands of wood which are everchanging.  This isn't genetically modified corn, grown in the same field with the same techniques year after year, producing a controlled uniform product.

I think it could be, where a producer might plant trees every year with the express purpose of producing charcoal by harvesting every 8 or 10 year old crop.  But that's much more expensive than the current system, which is to acquire stands of hardwood from wide ranging locations with all the attendant variables.

As much as we may complain that a particular brand is smokier or smaller or bigger or smaller than it used to be, it's still a lot cheaper than it would be if it were expected to be the same from bag to bag.

I think we tend to get used to a certain brand, and don't notice differences because we are entrenched.  When that brand changes though, we sense it as some failure (or improvement).

It's really just the nature of a, well, 'natural' product. 

Sometimes I get a tough steak, or a rotten apple in the bunch.  Same thing.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    Last fall grabbed two 8Kg bags of RO for <$10 each at the HD in Bellingham. Over the past few week have used them both. They were packaged the same but must have come from two different planets. One was full of non-carbonized pieces, smoked too long and sparked like crazy. The other bag was fantastic. One of the most neutral bags of lump I've used. 
    Were they both the same kind of RO?  RO has sourced their wood from various South American countries, as well as the US over the years.  You have to check the bag to see what country it came from.  If it doesn't say, then it came from the US.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Gator_Man
    Gator_Man Posts: 138
    Options
    Charcoal is an organic product, which is sourced from multiple stands of wood which are everchanging.  This isn't genetically modified corn, grown in the same field with the same techniques year after year, producing a controlled uniform product.

I think it could be, where a producer might plant trees every year with the express purpose of producing charcoal by harvesting every 8 or 10 year old crop.  But that's much more expensive than the current system, which is to acquire stands of hardwood from wide ranging locations with all the attendant variables.

As much as we may complain that a particular brand is smokier or smaller or bigger or smaller than it used to be, it's still a lot cheaper than it would be if it were expected to be the same from bag to bag.

I think we tend to get used to a certain brand, and don't notice differences because we are entrenched.  When that brand changes though, we sense it as some failure (or improvement).

It's really just the nature of a, well, 'natural' product. 

Sometimes I get a tough steak, or a rotten apple in the bunch.  Same thing.

Man you hit the nail on the head for sure! it's lump and in the grand scheme of things it's good stuff even with a few little problems. G M

I'm from North Carolina summer and Okeechobee Florida winter.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Options
    RO is one of the biggest lump producers in the US.  As such, it's can be a bigger crap shoot when getting bags, including US product, when compared to a single mom and pop operation. 

t   
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • SoCal_Griller
    Options
    I just bought 3 bags of RO and have opened two of them so far and have been very pleased with the lump.  Larger pieces, not much VOCs, and little ash.  I was very surprised since I gave up on RO about a year and a half ago.  I have been using Ozark Oak all winter and like it a lot, but will start using RO until the quality drops.
    Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    @SoCal_Griller‌ Where in Simi do you find Ozark Oak?
    Santa Paula, CA
  • horseflesh
    horseflesh Posts: 206
    Options
    For the last 6 month or more I have thought that my RO bags had way too many small pieces in them. Other than that, I haven't noticed a difference. (There were always some moon rocks.)
  • uheep
    uheep Posts: 64
    Options
    well said SenecaTheYounger
    North Georgia ~ Large BGE~Charbroil Outdoor Fryer~Big Chief Smoker~All Done
    With A Touch Of Classic Rock
  • sodigthisbigcrux
    Options
    I use RO for most my day to day, and keep a bit of Rockwood and OO that I got from Firecraft on hand for special cooks and low/slows. I've noticed that the last few bags of RO I've used have had better looking pieces, but I think that might be  because of the way it's handled. I used to get it at Bi-Mart or Wal-Mart and  the bags always looked a bit thrashed, lots of rips and thus a lot more smaller pieces and dust. The bags I've been getting from from Home Depot since they started carrying it have been in great shape and the pieces have been bigger and more uniform. I haven't noticed an increase or decrease in smokiness.
    Battle Ground, WA
    Large BGE,  MiniMax  and a Vision Kub.
    Could you call on Lady Day, could you call on John Coltrane?
  • khristyjeff
    khristyjeff Posts: 163
    Options
    I had a procedure done on me last Fall where they needed to take a picture of my lungs.  The Nurse asked me twice if I was a smoker because it looked like it.  I've never smoked.  I do use RO.  Hmm.
  • SoCal_Griller
    SoCal_Griller Posts: 516
    edited April 2014
    Options
    @tksmoke

As far as I know there is no brick and mortar store around here that sells Ozark Oak.  I have been ordering online from ShoppersChoice.com.  They have a fixed shipping price ($6.92) and I figured out that If I ordered 4 10 lb bags it came out just under what BGE lump would cost.  I have ordered from 3 times now and have been happy with the service and the lump has come through in good shape.  (Edited for bad typing)

Simi Valley, California
    LBGE, PBC, Annova, SMOBot
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    Thanks @SoCal_Griller.  Still a little too rich for my blood.  I'm really liking Fogo, and with free shipping (Amazon Prime), it's hard to beat.  I've also been using Royal Oak, which is actually pretty good charcoal.  It does have a bit of a smoky smell, but I like it.  The Wal*Mart sale (@8 bucks for 17lb bag) made it a no brainer.  Even at $12.97 at Home Depot for a 17Lb bag, it's reasonably priced.
    Santa Paula, CA
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I love royal oak. Good stuff.