Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pimento wood lump charcoal

Options
Saw this today at the store. At $40 for 9 lbs I'm thinking it's more an expensive novelty than anything else, but would probably make some damn good jerk chicken. Anyone ever try this stuff?

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Sir let me say don't waste your money. Smoke is an learned taste for most people. Not all but most. What I mean by this is simple. We're I'm from pecan and oak are very abundant and as such that's what I growled up using and acquired a taste for. Hey there are other great woods no doubt but these are my preference as it is a acquired taste from many years of use. I like and use other woods as well at times for specific reasons but these two are my go to and irreplaceable favorites by a wide margin. Again just use what you like and gives you good results and save your money for quality meat. I hope this helps my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• JerkMaster
    Options
    It's a matter of taste !
    I wonder if SGH has been lucky enough to visit Jamaica and experience truly authentic - straight out of the roadside barrel - Jamaican cooking. Or, even just a whiff of the delicious aroma that Allspice wood imparts. 
    The wood form the Jamaican Allspice tree - called Pimento Wood - is unique to Jamaica and not like any other allspice tree. The spice from this tree is sharp and peppery - not the mexican "holiday allspice"  we get here. Smoke from the wood is as intense as mesquite but not as irritating. Traditionally, the charcoal is used for smoke in Jamaica. Here, in the U.S., we use Pimento wood chips - a more efficient (and less expensive) way to create authentic Jerk flavor. 

As for the price, I know that the Pimento Tree is a national crop - for growing and harvesting allspice. The trees are a national treasure. It's rare - even there, to get Pimento wood charcoal. 
    I'm obsessed with the flavor of Pimento wood, I hope you might venture  a try sometime. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Hell why not. You won't know if ya don't try it. And how often are you gonna see it around ya know? I'd say give it a shot. ;-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited April 2014
    Options
    YOLO - try everything. Suggest you add a few pieces to a neutral or second burn lump, see how it works. This smoking wood chart suggests it may be very good. Never been led astray with this info...
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!