Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fire!

Options
13»

Comments

• jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Options
    See above. I rebuilt the table, sans Egg hole, and it's now a potting bench for the lady.
    Kemah, TX
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Carolina Q  I think I'm on your side here, my first post
    scottc454 said:
    Hey, I have a wood table and I can say with 99.99999% confidence that for every wood egg table that catches on fire, there are 5 or 6 that never have that problem for the whole life of the egg (and table).  Let's all calm down, folks.
    Well, those aren't exactly good numbers.
    For every guy that dies playing Russian Roulette, there are 5 guys that survived. 

Face it, your house is gonna burn down if you don't change your ways.

I kid, but I must say, brick houses are where it's at.

I was being sarcastic.  The unrealistic six sigma or whatever the quality number was is because a 1 in 7 table fire rate is unrealistic.  As much as we all love to swill booze and beer, we have to be serious about fire safety.  There's nothing inherently more dangerous about the BGE design than any other charcoal grill. 

You should always expect the best but prepare for the worst.  - Make sure the screen is on, temps are under control, nothing flammable is touching or near the ceramics, and have a plan if things turn sideways.
    Options
    The fire was started because of a gasser side burner. Some of my eggs are in nests and two in a stainless cabinet. They sit on a concrete deck and my house is now clad in cement board and stucco.
    Sounds logical.
    Cheers man. Chris
    Well ya don't want to go through it twice do ya bro?

Steve 

Caledon, ON