Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Over-cured bacon help wanted

Options
gmac
gmac Posts: 1,814
I made two batches of bacon and smoked one but work got in the way and the others been in the fridge for almost 3 weeks now. Looks and smells fine. Used Ready-Cure at recommended amounts and a good amount of black pepper (other was brown sugar, wanted to try one sweet, one savoury). Is this going to be too salty after all this time. Would an overnight water soak be necessary before smoking? The other batch cured for 1 week and is quite good.
Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.

Comments

• SenecaTheYounger
    SenecaTheYounger Posts: 368
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Some find that the normal cure time is still too salty.  Once the meat is cured, the saltiness is a result of the amount of salt used, not so much the time spent in the cure.  Once you go past 7 days or so you can be pretty sure the cure is complete.  It doesn't get saltier unless you add more salt, very generally. But if you take it out sooner (5, 6 days), you can reduce the saltiness.

I find 6 days will effect a thorough cure for most belly, unless overthick.  This does reduce saltiness a bit.  You might try 6 days next time.  Basically, if it is firm and feels cured, it is. 

You can do a 24 hour soak.  That will reduce some of the salt.  But unless your salt amounts were wrong to begin with, it shouldn't be very much saltier than the stuff at seven days. To ease your mind, try the 24 soak.  Then slice the slab in half, and try a piece from the middle.  Don't try a piece from the ends, as they are often perceived as "too salty".

Try the dredge method of cure next time.  In a glass lasagna sized pan, pour the cure over the meat, turn it over, and dredge and rub the cure onto the meat, all sides. Lift it out and gently tap it to remove excess.  Whatever cure has stuck is enough. This is historically referred to as the 'salt box' method.

If you were doing a large number of bellies, you would not apportion the cure based on the weight of each.  You'd rather have a large box filled with the cure, and dredge each piece separately.  The smaller pieces will retain less cure, and the larger, more.  No need to measure.  And no, (to head off dire warnings re: nitrites and exact measurements), this is not dangerous or inexact.  It's time tested.

The leftover cure may be kept and added to, and used the next time you cure.  I have a large batch of premixed base cure (salt, nitrite, sugar).  I dredge the meat in that and place it into a zip top bag.  Then I add other flavors (maple, brown sugar, etc.). 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Copia ciborum subtilitas impeditur

Seneca Falls, NY

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited April 2014
    Options
    I suppose you can soak it overnight and then trim off a piece to taste. Rinse and repeat, if necessary.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,976
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Soak it. Even a few hours should do it Try a piece now, the. Soak it for 3 hrd and taste the difference. Try a small piece and see if it's good for you. Keep soaking until tastes good. Just remember the edges are the saltiest parts so I would stop as soon as it's ok for you.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • SenecaTheYounger
    Options

Even a fee hours should donut.
    ??
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Seneca Falls, NY

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Even a fee hours should donut.

??

Ha! Corrected. Damn iPhone.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • gmac
    Options
    I did mine based on the weight and cure required. Ready cure uses no additional salt so itis what it is. I have not smoked it yet so I think I will go rinse it well, soak it for a bit and smoke it and live with what I get. I'm sure it will be ok based on above.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @gmac - I wouldn't decide on soaking it until you try it first.  Cut it in half and take a piece from the center.  Cook it up (or eat it raw).  I'll bet it's fine.
    Options
    I did my first batch with ready cure and found it too salty as well. The second batch I soaked out for 24 hours and it was better. You may not need seven days in the cure. When it becomes stiff it is cured. I bought some pink salt and will mix the next one a bit  lighter. Also the "salt box" method is less salty. Just lay the belly in a pan of ready cure, lift it out and tap it, reverse and do the same. Do the sides as well. Whatever sticks is the right amount.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• SenecaTheYounger
    Options
    @gmac

I do not know if I made myself clear.

Make the amount of cure recommended by weight, but don't just use it all.  Instead, dredge it in the cure, and whatever stick is all that you need.  This will distribute the perfect amount of cure.

It will be less salty.  Try six days as well.

Seneca Falls, NY

• gmac
    Options
    @SenecaTheYounger‌ I understand. I am using a 1% sodium nitrate cure that works at 50:1 ratio based on weight. At that amount, the small amount required was very close to the amount you'd get using your method. I will try to dredge next time.
  • reinhart36
    reinhart36 Posts: 253
    Options
    Not to digress, but if a person is curing for 6 or 7 days, are the nitrites necessary?  Of course, I'm thinking of the case where the pork would then be warm smoked / cooked before eating.  Just curious, as this thread has me thinking about making bacon.. 
  • SenecaTheYounger
    SenecaTheYounger Posts: 368
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Nitrites physically (chemically) alter the meat. We do not use nitrites any longer for the purposes of safety, but for texture and flavor. Salt does one thing. Nitrites another. Together they make the bacon you are familiar with.

Salt alone can certainly cure pork. But it isn't the same.

And there are no logical health/dietary reasons to leave out nitrites. You aren't making pork fat and salt suddenly "healthy" by ditching the nitrites. And truth be told, if you are worries about nitrites, your salad is way more dangerous than bacon could ever be

Seneca Falls, NY

• reinhart36
    reinhart36 Posts: 253
    Options
    Thanks for the clarification. I was asking because I don't have the nitrites, but I want to make some bacon. Thus I was curious of the function. Thanks!
  • SenecaTheYounger
    Options
    >Thanks for the clarification

No problem.  I am just trying to help.

Just remember, although you can cure without nitrite, you'd be making a different product. 

Seneca Falls, NY

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,818
    Options
    i did canadian bacon with a loin that i over salted, was fine though if i rinsed the slice just before cooking, just a 2 second rinse. with the bacon  if its too salty i would just use it in my bean pot like using salt pork
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it