Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

12 Butane canisters vs. 1 MAPP cylinder - which lasts longer?

Options
Canugghead
Canugghead Posts: 11,512
edited April 2014 in Off Topic
Played with my new butane torch, not on SV food yet, but boy did it ignite the lump instantly.  Now I have some idea of why all the rave and praise on MAPP torch.

Back to my first ignition experiment ... after starting instant sparks in three spots I didn't want to 'enlarge' them with the butane torch, due to the short nozzle and uncertainty about how long the canister lasts, instead I used the Looftlighter to spread the fire. This partnership works real well because the Looftlighter spends most time getting the spark started and the torch takes care of that instantly; I wonder if a hair dryer should also work since no intense heat is required to start the sparks.

I always wanted a MAPP torch as well, but now I'm thinking ... I can get about 12 butane canisters for the price of 1 small MAPP cylinder, which will lasts longer? Oh, I also have a stash of butane canisters from my table-top hot pot days. If the numbers are right, I don't need to spend $ on MAPP torch, heck I can even sell my Looftlighter before it quits. What do you think?

canuckland

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
     ... I can get about 12 butane canisters for the price of 1 small MAPP cylinder, 
    Where? One 5 oz butane at home depot is $5, 14 oz MAPP is $10. Plus, MAPP puts out a relatively large flame and the butane is a pencil. Great for creme brulée, but...  Might be a hotter flame with butane though.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    ive never made it to the bottom of a mapp cylinder before setting the torch head on fire......the world may never know. im on 11 years with a harborfreight weedburner attached to a 40 pound pig though
    :))
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Canugghead
    Options
    Michael, in my neck of the woods, MAPP cylinder is around $12-$14 (guessing) at HD or Lowes, whereas an 8 oz butane like the one in my photo are widely available at Asian grocers around $4.99 (sometime even cheaper when on sale) for pack of four!  Butane flame size is perfect for SV food and not an issue with lump lighting since my plan is to spread the flame with Looftlighter or hair dryer. Like I said, the butane started the spark instantly.
    canuckland
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    Go for it then! I have no idea how long a MAPP tank lasts. I have been through several since I first bought the torch maybe 3-4 years ago. 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Screw propane and MAP gas, get propane.
    Options
    nola, I think you meant screw butane and MAP?  I heard propane is not ideal in sub-zero GWN temp, no?
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Options
    fishless, sorry to expose your skeleton in the closet ;)
    canuckland
  • nolaegghead
    edited April 2014
    Options
    nola, I think you meant screw butane and MAP?  I heard propane is not ideal in sub-zero GWN temp, no?
    Yeah, I screwed myself on that one.  Propane has more pressure than butane (that's why they use butane in plastic disposable lighters).  Keep your propane (or whatever you use) tank in the house (somewhere warm) during cold season when you're not using it.

see graph

@Canugghead

I use the propane canisters with my weedburner and had no problems even on the coldest of days.  Mind you, I keep both the canister and burner inside rather than exposing them to the cold.

Tom

Tom

Charles is a mischevious feline who always has something cooking

Twin lbge's .. grew up in the sun parlor of Canada but now egging in the nation's capital

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,741
    Options
    the small tanks ice up on you, the larger tanks work fine though. even with the small tanks theres enough propane pressure when cold to light an egg if the tank is over half full, ive even seen them on the new propane ice augers, the biggest problem with the propane is that some of the torches dont work upsidedown
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    can you use a MAPP torch on a propane tank? I understand you can't use a propane torch on a MAPP tank, but wondered about the reverse.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• nolaegghead
    Options
    I don't have the upside down problem because my tank never goes upside down.

Chicago Electric Welding 91899 Propane Torch with Three Burners
    edited April 2014
    Options
    sorry nola, your chart's co-efficients stuff (need a lesson from LS) is way over my head ;)

in my simple mind
    higher pressure => higher discharge velocity => faster frost up of equipment

i have no problem storing an 8 oz butane indoor, but not sure about a propane tank 
    :\">
    canuckland
  • nolaegghead
    edited April 2014
    Options
    I buy 1 pound disposable propane tanks for lighting the egg.  They're cheap and safe to store indoor.
    Options
    you run that manburner off a one pounder? when you're done do you release the propane trapped in that 6-foot(?) orange hose into thin air ;) how long does the one pounder last?
    canuckland
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    I bought a MAPP torch day one with my Egg.  It is going on 2+ years on the first tank.

My friend has the other ceramic grill and just finished his first mapp swap after 3 years.

Garnerville, NY
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    you run that manburner off a one pounder? when you're done do you release the propane trapped in that 6-foot(?) orange hose into thin air ;) how long does the one pounder last?
    I wonder about this too. Tired of lugging the big propane tank and weed burner around all the time since I don't like leaving the weedburner tubing exposed to the elements. Do you need an adapter to hook up the little propane bottles to the weedburner?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolaegghead
    edited April 2014
    Options
    @caliking @Canugghead

That particular torch is designed to work with the disposable bottles.  I don't purge the line - I just shut off both valves and I only disconnect the tank to replace it.  The pressure in the line stays until I use it again (no leaks).  I suppose you could purge it but that's just polluting.

I'll shot a pic of it in use when I get home.
    Options
    I pay 2.25$ for a butane cannister at my local restaurant supply store. It is even cheaper when buying a whole 12 cannister pack. I think the labeled price is 2.84$. I use quite a few every year because I also use them in portable stove top.

Options
    @nolaegghead thanks for the update, no rush for the picture.

@paqman are you in Northern Ontario?  In GTA the highest price I've seen at Asian stores is $5.99 for pack of four.  $4.99, occasionally $3.99, is more common.  Stock up next time you visit!
    canuckland
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    ta-da
    Options
    @robnybbq - what size tank?  Carolina Q went through several in 3-4 years.  Perhaps I'm comparing tank to cylinder, or is it YMMV 
    ;)
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    edited April 2014
    Options
    ta-da
    looks cool, thanks!!
    btw, couldn't help noticing ...
    1) holy smoke, alarm system plus three deadbolts with reinforced door edge. are the hinges reinforced with 3-4" screws that go into the stud? it's as strong as the weakest link ;)
    2) what's the wattage of that light bulb, never seen one with so many spirals!
    canuckland
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    @robnybbq - what size tank?  Carolina Q went through several in 3-4 years.  Perhaps I'm comparing tank to cylinder, or is it YMMV 
    ;)
    I think I got two of those fat boy canisters when I started with MAPP. After that, I had to buy the skinny 14oz ones after that cuz i couldn't find the fat ones. Not really sure, but I think I've bought 3-4 of them. Since sometime in 2010.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Nola - I have a different torch/ weedburner that only hooks up to the big tanks. It works great, its just somewhat cumbersome.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options

@nolaegghead thanks for the update, no rush for the picture.

@paqman are you in Northern Ontario?  In GTA the highest price I've seen at Asian stores is $5.99 for pack of four.  $4.99, occasionally $3.99, is more common.  Stock up next time you visit!
    @Canugghead‌ I am in Ottawa. Do you mean to say 5.99$ for each cannister or 5.99$ for 4 cannister (1.50$ per unit)?

Options
    @pagman $5.99 for 4x 8 oz canisters, $1.50 each, and that's on the 'high' side!  Have you tried Asian grocers in Ottawa?
    canuckland
  • chashans
    chashans Posts: 418
    Options
    It might be a good idea to check with your local fire marshal regarding the safety of stowing propane canisters inside your house. Just a thought.  :)
    LARGE, MINI BGE    SAN DIEGO, CA            An alcoholic with a barbecuing problem.

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    edited April 2014
    Options
    can you use a MAPP torch on a propane tank? I understand you can't use a propane torch on a MAPP tank, but wondered about the reverse.
    You can use a propane tank on a mapp torch but you can't use mapp tank on a propane torch.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    td66snrf said:
    You can use a propane tank on a mapp torch but you can't use mapp tank on a propane torch.
    Y'all crazy.   Is there such a thing as a "MAPP" torch?  I've been using MAPP tanks on propane torches for 20 years.  There's an adjustment to the air fuel ratio.